testtest

DST - Keep It, Or Lose It?

Everyone has their particular reason(s) for liking or disliking Daylight Savings Time. I personally think we should just leave it where it is now, and not do the "Fall Back" routine any longer.

Thoughts?
Ditch this old school farm crap.
On the east coast, little kids were getting hit by cars waiting to go to school because they were in the dark waiting for the bus. DST is stupid

Everyone has their particular reason(s) for liking or disliking Daylight Savings Time. I personally think we should just leave it where it is now, and not do the "Fall Back" routine any longer.

Thoughts?

Having lived for a year in DST back in the 1970's, I prefer standard time, instead.

I am filled with ennui.
1615733291110.gif

Whichever gives me more afternoon time - for the range !!! LOL.
Nah. I know, the days get longer due to the earth’s tilt not our clocks. Would u believe I had to explain that to this idiot kid at work once??
@KillerF: I was in Forsyth Co NC school sys in the very early 80s, and on their longest bus route. Two or 3 yrs later, i happened to see an article in Time mag about the bussing issue and was shocked when it mentioned my old school sus by name as having the longest most arduous (and convoluted) bus routes in the nation. Which effectively meant i had been on the US’s worst. Dead of winter we traveled more than an hour before dawn began to break. Thankfully nobody was hurt... Just wanted to say, if safety is a concern then stick with neighborhood schools!

Whichever gives me more afternoon time - for the range !!! LOL.
Nah. I know, the days get longer due to the earth’s tilt not our clocks. Would u believe I had to explain that to this idiot kid at work once??
@KillerF: I was in Forsyth Co NC school sys in the very early 80s, and on their longest bus route. Two or 3 yrs later, i happened to see an article in Time mag about the bussing issue and was shocked when it mentioned my old school sus by name as having the longest most arduous (and convoluted) bus routes in the nation. Which effectively meant i had been on the US’s worst. Dead of winter we traveled more than an hour before dawn began to break. Thankfully nobody was hurt... Just wanted to say, if safety is a concern then stick with neighborhood schools!
I get up 0545 to get two Middle school age grandsons (who I raise) ready to catch their bus at 0630. We live 3 miles from the school, and they're on the bus anywhere from 50-60 minutes, depending on weather, plus it's a semi-rural area.

Last edited:
I get up 0545 to get two Middle school age grandsons (who I raise) ready to catch their bus at 0630. We live 3 miles from the school, and they're on the bus anywhere from 50-60 minutes.
I walked that far in elementary, JR high and high school. Living that close to the school and being on the bus for that long is ridiculous. When I lived in Texas I was in an area that didn’t do the time change, either way it works for me. 🤠

I walked that far in elementary, JR high and high school. Living that close to the school and being on the bus for that long is ridiculous. When I lived in Texas I was in an area that didn’t do the time change, either way it works for me. 🤠
I agree on the duration of the trip, however, we don't live in town, or suburbs, etc. Lots of two-lane, county roads the bus travels. Granted, if it were a direct trip to the school the bus ride would be much quicker.

I vote leave it alone these days. I grew up in the country and from grade school through high school I rode the first route to school and the second route back home. I had to get up at 5 AM every morning to get my chores done and then get ready to catch the bus .

I was always at school 30 to 40 min. before class time. I have always hated the " spring forward fall backward " ditty.

Taking something from front and tacking it on the back or from the rear to the front still adds up to the same animal.....maybe just a bit more odd looking or feeling? .... Just another way of saying someones head is up their posterior or vice versa? Crap for brains comes to mind? :)

Time's about the same kind of "animal." My thoughts are to set clocks and time one way and leave them be. Otherwise it may screw up stability. Like too many other things with too much oversight? .... something is often over baked to the point of uselessness? :)

Seriously, are good and bad points to either way. Usually no biggie.

I prefer more daylight time later in the day to do more stuff, & don't mind it being dark in the morning, so I prefer "spring forward".

As far as giving kids light to go to school in the morning, therefore fall back, give the kids a flashlight, and nowadays most of them have their noses buried in a smart device so they don't know if its dark out anyhow.

I'd prefer them to keep the clocks ahead year-round as they are today.

My .02

Last edited:
As a school kid in the 1970's, I can recall first hand what happened the one year the country stayed on DST throughout the winter of 1974-1975. It meant that I had to walk to the school bus stop in pitch blackness, carrying a flashlight, freezing my rear end off, and wait with the other kids in the dark (there were no street lights in the county where I lived). My understanding is that there was a huge spike in children walking to school being run over by motorists in the dark, and that is why it was not attempted again. Instead, the next year they enacted extensions to the period of DST, and they have monkeyed with the start and end dates ever since.

As an old retired geezer when I wake up and determine it's still dark outside I turn over and go back to sleep. I'm just not into time any more. The powers that be can do whatever. Like they'll ever ask any of us anyway. A bit of trivia: In the U.S. more children ride school buses every day than airlines transport passengers. Yet school bus safety is far behind the airlines.

As an old retired geezer when I wake up and determine it's still dark outside I turn over and go back to sleep. I'm just not into time any more. The powers that be can do whatever. Like they'll ever ask any of us anyway. A bit of trivia: In the U.S. more children ride school buses every day than airlines transport passengers. Yet school bus safety is far behind the airlines.
No seatbelts. Try driving around in your private vehicle without your kids buckled up. Serious fine. Yet parents intrust there children to school districts that allow school buses to not have them. Ever see the videos of school buses in accidents? Children flying around like dolls. Very sad.

Back