testtest

EDC~~~~~ How much do you care about it?

SMSgtRod

Professional
Founding Member
Something that came up some time back with the guys.

Don't EDC your pride and joy. I asked why?

If you are involved in an incident you will most likely be cuffed and your firearm confiscated.
Your EDC may be subjected to a bit of abuse.
So the idea is to EDC something that you trust but not the pride of the vault.

Love to hear some opinions here.

I agree SMSgtRod, your EDC weapon will get abused, but that’s just mostly cosmetic, I would rather have a scuffed up gun on myself, then not to have anything on me. My opinion, I don’t use a higher end gun for EDC, some do, that’s fine, I just have my first gen S&W Shield. Not too cheap, but not expensive either.

I can see the point, but I am married with three kids. I will be investing in a Springfield XD Mod 2 Subcompact 9mm within the month. As such I have selected this firearm as it fulfills every need I have this it is the pride of the vault.
I think your EDC should be whatever you can shoot the most effectively and what you have the most confidence with. The EDC can hopefully be replaced. Family can't.
I agree SMSgtRod, your EDC weapon will get abused, but that’s just mostly cosmetic, I would rather have a scuffed up gun on myself, then not to have anything on me. My opinion, I don’t use a higher end gun for EDC, some do, that’s fine, I just have my first gen S&W Shield. Not too cheap, but not expensive either.

That's my thought. Something that performs well with me and I trust. If it gets a few scratches no big deal.
If for some reason I don't get it back or it comes back in ugly shape still no big deal. It'll have already been
replaced with a like item. Back up already in the vault.

That's my thought. Something that performs well with me and I trust. If it gets a few scratches no big deal.
If for some reason I don't get it back or it comes back in ugly shape still no big deal. It'll have already been
replaced with a like item. Back up already in the vault.
Modern coatings are strong enough that I am about certain that they can withstand being test fired, and analyzed by forensics teams, they not going to do any crush tests or dry fire, or sandblasting etc.

Modern coatings are strong enough that I am about certain that they can withstand being test fired, and analyzed by forensics teams, they not going to do any crush tests or dry fire, or sandblasting etc.
Cop says, "drop that gun on the floor!" We all know they say floor even if it's a concrete driveway.
Just sayin'

That’s when I say, I am laying it down gently and please don’t kick it away and scuff my gun.....lol, your right, you have to do what they say, they don’t care what happens to your gun, they just want you to drop it and move away from it.

That’s when I say, I am laying it down gently and please don’t kick it away and scuff my gun.....lol, your right, you have to do what they say, they don’t care what happens to your gun, they just want you to drop it and move away from it.

Exactly! And if you don't they get to play with their Taser and Puppy Dog.
Hopefully they have been briefed on the price of ammo so they hold their fire.
OH, Wait a minute! You bought their ammo.... hmmmmmm.

Exactly! And if you don't they get to play with their Taser and Puppy Dog.
Hopefully they have been briefed on the price of ammo so they hold their fire.
OH, Wait a minute! You bought their ammo.... hmmmmmm.
My middle brother is ret'd LEO. You should hear him talk about the "feds". No slack, lol.

I know a police office that was involved in a shooting while on duty. Everything was justified. He carried his own firearm on duty because he liked it over the department issued weapon. They took it after the shooting and kept it for a good long time. He said he would never carry anything else on duty besides his issued weapon because he didn't like being taken and held so long

I know a police office that was involved in a shooting while on duty. Everything was justified. He carried his own firearm on duty because he liked it over the department issued weapon. They took it after the shooting and kept it for a good long time. He said he would never carry anything else on duty besides his issued weapon because he didn't like being taken and held so long

Anybody else they would return the firearm the next day. Me it will drag out for years, and then be lost in the
evidence room! :ROFLMAO:

Tools. Like AZMarlin, I carry all the time. Currently I'm spending a lot of time renovating a house to sell - LOTS of drywall dust (and daily cleaning of the XDs - good thing I love the smell of Hoppe's!). Would it suck if it was logged in Evidence for months, uncleaned? Yeah. Would I be emotionally distraught? Nah. I'd buy a replacement and move on. I'd probably ask if I could at least retrieve my laser, though...

Guns can be resurrected from disuse. Witness my father's '52 Colt revolver - it spent 30 years in a sock drawer (literally). Could not see down the 4" barrel it was so plugged with lint. Mech was totally dried out and crunchy, and the trigger pull was on the order of about 70#. Disassembled, cleaned, lubed, and reassembled daily for about a month...and it is once again a gorgeous, operational, 68 year old heirloom piece. A couple months' time in an evidence locker wouldn't kill a modern firearm. I think the logistical hassle and the potential legal situation would be more of a PITA than actually "not having" the gun itself.

For what it's worth, I only like "plain jane" guns in general, and carry guns that are that way. So, I carry guns I like, but I don't worry about what would happen to it if something like that happens. The way I figure it, if that does happen, some scuffs on my gun will be the least of my concerns at that point. And, you can always get it refinished. Would I carry a Colt 1860 Army serial #3 that I got for 100K from Rock Island Auction? No. Would I carry a beloved and expensive gun like a TRP. Yep. Without hesitation.

For what it's worth, I only like "plain jane" guns in general, and carry guns that are that way. So, I carry guns I like, but I don't worry about what would happen to it if something like that happens. The way I figure it, if that does happen, some scuffs on my gun will be the least of my concerns at that point. And, you can always get it refinished. Would I carry a Colt 1860 Army serial #3 that I got for 100K from Rock Island Auction? No. Would I carry a beloved and expensive gun like a TRP. Yep. Without hesitation.
I agree and I'd shoot that serial #3 too. Won't own a gun that I won't shoot.

Back