testtest

Editors Choice: Springfield Armory Ronin Operator

The guy working the counter at the gun store took my ID, tested me, got my results sent off to the DOJ, and then asked what kind of gun I'd like to purchase. An automatic pistol I told him. Here's what I've got left he replied, as he reached under the glass and pull out what I learned was a Springfield XD1904 (?). He looked the gun over, and then handed it to me.

In that moment, I found myself holding a firearm for the first time, and in ten days or so, I'll be driving home with it.

What have I done?

The guy working the counter at the gun store took my ID, tested me, got my results sent off to the DOJ, and then asked what kind of gun I'd like to purchase. An automatic pistol I told him. Here's what I've got left he replied, as he reached under the glass and pull out what I learned was a Springfield XD1904 (?). He looked the gun over, and then handed it to me.

In that moment, I found myself holding a firearm for the first time, and in ten days or so, I'll be driving home with it.

What have I done?
Invest in some training. If nothing else, take a look at the Magpul series of videos very informative. Start slow and master the basics, the rest will come with time.

You have opened the door to an excellent hobby that will help you build skills that can help you in every corner of life.

What brought you to make the purchase?

+1 - get training. Don't put a single round into that chamber until you have studied and re-studied trigger safety, muzzle safety, clearing process (making sure a gun is empty - that is what he was doing when "he looked the gun over" before handing it to you), field strip, cleaning, and reassembly. Do ALL of that - a dozen times or so - in order to learn the geography of your new purchase. Once you have some comfort level there, go to a range (with supervision), and get some instruction on how to make use of your new weapon.

Ask questions.

Be open to the answers.

And a note - you do not have an "automatic" pistol. "Automatic" means you pull the trigger and hold, and the gun will fire until all the bullets are gone. What you have is a "semi-automatic" pistol. Pull the trigger once, it fires once, and reloads itself. Pull the trigger again, it fires again and reloads again. But, it will only fire one time, each time you pull the trigger.

Study, study, study. There may be a quiz later ;)

And, welcome to the family! Respect your weapon, and it will bring you hours and hours of enjoyment.

You have opened the door to an excellent hobby that will help you build skills that can help you in every corner of life.

What brought you to make the purchase?

+1 - get training. Don't put a single round into that chamber until you have studied and re-studied trigger safety, muzzle safety, clearing process (making sure a gun is empty - that is what he was doing when "he looked the gun over" before handing it to you), field strip, cleaning, and reassembly. Do ALL of that - a dozen times or so - in order to learn the geography of your new purchase. Once you have some comfort level there, go to a range (with supervision), and get some instruction on how to make use of your new weapon.

Ask questions.

Be open to the answers.

And a note - you do not have an "automatic" pistol. "Automatic" means you pull the trigger and hold, and the gun will fire until all the bullets are gone. What you have is a "semi-automatic" pistol. Pull the trigger once, it fires once, and reloads itself. Pull the trigger again, it fires again and reloads again. But, it will only fire one time, each time you pull the trigger.

Study, study, study. There may be a quiz later ;)

And, welcome to the family! Respect your weapon, and it will bring you hours and hours of enjoyment.

Thanks for your thoughtful reply...I'll certainly take my time, and learn the weapon as you recommend.

Congrats on your new gun. Now Practice, Practice and Practice some more. 1911's are great but need more care than the polymer semi's. Do not be afraid to ask questions but be aware of too many "EPERTS" out there. Also do not be afraid to join a shooting sport like USPSA or IDPA. Watching on TV may seem intimidatingly but local clubs are nowhere near as fast and furious and usually very friendly and helpful.

This would be the one I would look at. The Gen 2 http://www.chencustom.com/magwells-1
That's a classy item, BangBang. I hadn't come across that outfit before. This particular pistol is not getting set up for EDC, so I'm not too concerned with the extra length and would prefer to avoid cutting on a brand new unit but I really like the look of their Shooter Install 1-piece tho .. very competitive price as well at the moment .. Thanks for the heads-up, sir. Much appreciated ..

That's a classy item, BangBang. I hadn't come across that outfit before. This particular pistol is not getting set up for EDC, so I'm not too concerned with the extra length and would prefer to avoid cutting on a brand new unit but I really like the look of their Shooter Install 1-piece tho .. very competitive price as well at the moment .. Thanks for the heads-up, sir. Much appreciated ..
If you get some free time read up on Stan Chen, this man knows what’s going on.

Back