testtest

Emergency Food Storage.

^ Honey is one of those wonder-things. I wish I had a place for bees. To be honest, we don't stock enough: really just for the usual seasonal flu and cold.

I also wish I had a place to keep chickens.

And peanut butter........😬

^ Yup. The wifey (and the dog, come on, the dog!) likes the good stuff, and that won't keep long, but the ones with preservatives can last over a year, which is pretty amazing for something that nutritious.

Look at the sodium levels in that stuff too.

I diversify my LT food storage prep.

There's a lot of plain-jane stuff you can get at Wally World or Costco that is storable for long-periods of time.

The sodium hit is huge with a lot of the freeze-dried "prep" stuff. Definitely worth it to keep an eye on that.

The thing to remember for anyone new to this stuff is that this isn't by "brand," but rather, for specific foods within that brand. As with anything else, read the labels, particularly if you have any outstanding health issues (and even if not, given that you might be subsisting on your stocks for some time, in case of a protracted event).

Finally -

That's my plan. In case of a serious situation keep the frig & freezer going until that stuff is consumed then move on to canned food then on to dried/freeze-dried/MREs.

-and-

Very true. Standard canned goods, while not decades, are good for multiple years when stored properly. Ditto dry goods like pasta, rice, etc. If you have a generator you can rely on frozen foods a bit more than folks without a generator. The trick is rotation - keep a certain number of cans/boxes of the items on hand, and put new ones in the back as you consume the older ones in the front.

And this is what I do as well - as with both Talyn and Peglegjoe, it's worth it to take the small amount of time to rotate one's pantry stock of just the "everyday" stuff that you can buy at the grocery or big-box.

-------

FWIW, a few years ago, I had a "party" with my daughter (the wifey is not into this at all, so we tell her that when the time comes, she's just gonna have to suffer through it because she didn't join us for the fun) and taste-tested a few of the offerings on the market.

From this, Mountain House became our selected staple and dominates our freeze-dried menu. It's been very reasonably priced, and there's good availability virtually always. We use it both for long-term storage as well as have individual pouches for camping - and even using it as the occasional "OMG we got home *really* late tonight and there's no good leftovers in the 'fridge" alternative to both instant ramen and microwave meals.

The other brand we really liked is Backpacker's Pantry.

I never really got into buying all the MRI and such. I do stock up on ammo. A friend of mine bought a bunch of the stuff and said he would meet up with me if something happen. Everyone said to me that if something happens that they will come to my house. My reply is ok but I won't be there I'm going to be in the woods. I do however buy can goods and keep the stocked up.

^ Honey is one of those wonder-things. I wish I had a place for bees. To be honest, we don't stock enough: really just for the usual seasonal flu and cold.

I also wish I had a place to keep chickens.

^ Yup. The wifey (and the dog, come on, the dog!) likes the good stuff, and that won't keep long, but the ones with preservatives can last over a year, which is pretty amazing for something that nutritious.

The sodium hit is huge with a lot of the freeze-dried "prep" stuff. Definitely worth it to keep an eye on that.

The thing to remember for anyone new to this stuff is that this isn't by "brand," but rather, for specific foods within that brand. As with anything else, read the labels, particularly if you have any outstanding health issues (and even if not, given that you might be subsisting on your stocks for some time, in case of a protracted event).

Finally -

-and-

And this is what I do as well - as with both Talyn and Peglegjoe, it's worth it to take the small amount of time to rotate one's pantry stock of just the "everyday" stuff that you can buy at the grocery or big-box.

-------

FWIW, a few years ago, I had a "party" with my daughter (the wifey is not into this at all, so we tell her that when the time comes, she's just gonna have to suffer through it because she didn't join us for the fun) and taste-tested a few of the offerings on the market.

From this, Mountain House became our selected staple and dominates our freeze-dried menu. It's been very reasonably priced, and there's good availability virtually always. We use it both for long-term storage as well as have individual pouches for camping - and even using it as the occasional "OMG we got home *really* late tonight and there's no good leftovers in the 'fridge" alternative to both instant ramen and microwave meals.

The other brand we really liked is Backpacker's Pantry.

My freeze dried stash is 99% Mountain House. Occasionally I test something that gets good reviews but MH is the most readily available freeze dried that I have.

One other point to consider is do you have adequate means of cooking your emergency food storage.

Again I have redundancy and can cook meals five seperate ways and working on #6.
Assuming the country isn’t completely over run and the millions of acres of national forest nearby aren’t napalmed, my big plan is to hunt for meat, which I already do (90% of the meat I eat, I kill). All of which can be cooked over a wood fire.

Assuming the country isn’t completely over run and the millions of acres of national forest nearby aren’t napalmed, my big plan is to hunt for meat, which I already do (90% of the meat I eat, I kill). All of which can be cooked over a wood fire.
I should clarify that I don’t currently hunt on public ground. I never have. We have about 400 acres of family ground, some of which backs up to national forest land.

...Ammo is good.

- and -

...I do stock up on ammo.

I definitely agree that having a reasonable supply of ammo is always a good idea: there are many, many reasons for having enough ammo! :)

That said, I want to also highlight to folks who may be just skimming through these Forums (as I think that most of us who actively participate here tend to be on a different level of preparation versus the general population) that we've seen in now several real-world "SHTF" situations (everything from the Balkans to Venezuela) that the thinking that ammunition (or other commodities, such as alcohol or tobacco products, for that matter) will be a viable form of currency is flawed thinking.

In-reality, when you're out of food, the only thing that is worth anything at all is just that: food.

The idea of strong-arm robbery aside (and here, it's worth reading the blog writings by "Selco," regarding his experiences during the Balkan Conflict), ammo is really more about self-defense and the ability to hunt, versus as a commodity for trading.

-----

One other point to consider is do you have adequate means of cooking your emergency food storage.

Again I have redundancy and can cook meals five seperate ways and working on #6.

^ This is a BIG one - and it's worth remembering for those of us who stock food supplies which need rehydration, as well as other items that need to be cooked.

Water is one thing, as is the need to supply heat.

-----

What I also really liked seeing in this thread are replies like that of @adam sr and others above: the idea of friends/community/networking.

+1 for the water. I keep water stored in 6 gallon containers for that very reason.

Also got that covered.

Had a reminder about water 2 weeks ago when the city water went out for a day. Fell back on my ready backup water to get by until they had it running again.

- and -

I definitely agree that having a reasonable supply of ammo is always a good idea: there are many, many reasons for having enough ammo! :)

That said, I want to also highlight to folks who may be just skimming through these Forums (as I think that most of us who actively participate here tend to be on a different level of preparation versus the general population) that we've seen in now several real-world "SHTF" situations (everything from the Balkans to Venezuela) that the thinking that ammunition (or other commodities, such as alcohol or tobacco products, for that matter) will be a viable form of currency is flawed thinking.

In-reality, when you're out of food, the only thing that is worth anything at all is just that: food.

The idea of strong-arm robbery aside (and here, it's worth reading the blog writings by "Selco," regarding his experiences during the Balkan Conflict), ammo is really more about self-defense and the ability to hunt, versus as a commodity for trading.

-----

^ This is a BIG one - and it's worth remembering for those of us who stock food supplies which need rehydration, as well as other items that need to be cooked.

Water is one thing, as is the need to supply heat.

-----

What I also really liked seeing in this thread are replies like that of @adam sr and others above: the idea of friends/community/networking.

I wasn't thinking of stocking up on ammo to perform strong arm robberies. I was thinking about defending myself and my family and hunting. ;-)

Back