testtest

Emergency Food Storage.

We've used My Patriot supply with good results. Do yourself a favor, open up a food package and actually try it. Some brands we looked at were horrible - I would have preferred the cardboard packaging to the actual food! we lived in Michigan during the 2003 blackout and learned from that - have food on hand that won't spoil! we were without power for 9 days and all the food in the freezer spoiled and we were the only ones in our area that had a working landline phone - cell towers were down.

Well the general public is buying into the chaos around coronavirus. My local Walmart had ZERO multivitamins on the shelf last night, and on Saturday I was in Lowe's getting some paint mixed for a house I'm selling and the guy was telling a contractor "sorry bout your luck dude, but you'll have to spray paint your project without a respirator because we sold out a couple days ago".

And I'm 90 minutes from a 'city' (DC/Baltimore), in the sticks/mountains of western Maryland. I can't imagine how things are going in an urban area...

IMO if you're the average American as long as you have clean water to drink you can last longer than 7 days w/o food. After that, and with water your condition will degrade steadily.

Mahatma Gandhi survived 21 days of complete starvation.

But every cell in the body needs water to function, and the body is ~60% water your body will head down hill much faster w/o water. The maximum time an individual can go without water seems to be a week.

All this is from open sources.

^ Every locale is different, it seems.

Friends in various areas have reported paradoxical availability of N95s versus a complete lack of standard nuisance masks. In my area, for some strange reason, bottled potable water is flying off the shelves, and so is bleach: neither of which is necessary in terms of the current COVID-19 preparations.

-----

We've used My Patriot supply with good results. Do yourself a favor, open up a food package and actually try it. Some brands we looked at were horrible - I would have preferred the cardboard packaging to the actual food!

^ Absolutely agreed.

Where it comes to absolute survival, we'll likely eat anything and everything - but the truth of the matter is that this impacts morale, and in the more likely low-level events in-particular, keeping your loved ones (if not yourself) comfortable and comforted can go a long way.

....we were the only ones in our area that had a working landline phone - cell towers were down.

This is yet another tremendously important consideration.

While out-of-immediate-area communications may not be possible without more advanced (and also potentially more costly) preparations (such as a satellite phone...and in this case, don't forget the cost of service), short-range communications can be maintained for the members of your party with relatively cheap and readily available handheld radios (even FRS).

Even so, the ability to communicate with the "outside" is always worth considering - alternative means to check-in with family members, such as via pre-established emergency social media check-in pages or common email addresses, are easy to set up and particularly for youngsters who have grown-up with such interfaces, also easy to remember. There have been localized emergencies in the near past where while cell services were overloaded, people were still able to check-in with loved-ones via emails or other such messages sent from hardwired internet cafes, libraries, or even school campuses.

Those were excellent points, Richtex, thank you for bringing them up! :)

We've used My Patriot supply with good results. Do yourself a favor, open up a food package and actually try it. Some brands we looked at were horrible - I would have preferred the cardboard packaging to the actual food! we lived in Michigan during the 2003 blackout and learned from that - have food on hand that won't spoil! we were without power for 9 days and all the food in the freezer spoiled and we were the only ones in our area that had a working landline phone - cell towers were down.
"...we were the only ones in our area that had a working landline phone - cell towers were down."

Yep, ice storm of '09, cell towers were down, but our land line (which we still have) worked fine. The only problem was that everyone we knew locally, including our adult children, only use cell phones. We were w/o power for 7 days, and it's almost
eerily quiet when everyday conveniences (tv, phone, appliances, etc) cease functioning. At least our water service still functioned, and the toilets would flush. :)

One thing I always seem to forget when I am stocking up on the camping cooking items is the grill sitting right outside. For some reason I dont put the grill in with the word disaster or outage. Even if it was just to heat up water. I need to correct that.

One thing I always seem to forget when I am stocking up on the camping cooking items is the grill sitting right outside. For some reason I dont put the grill in with the word disaster or outage. Even if it was just to heat up water. I need to correct that.
Yep, I did the same thing during the ice storm of '09. My grill at that time was a charcoal grill, and I use the Kingsford Matchlight brand (no lighter fuel needed), and I had some on hand. In hindsight, I also could have maintained my frozen food supply in my freezer a bit longer if I had thought to just take it outside in a cooler. Everything outdoors was completely encased in about a 3/8" layer of ice, so I could have chipped-off a supply of it to put in the cooler. I didn't have a generator at that time to run my freezer, etc.

Thought you all might want to take a look at some articles we've run on The Armory Life on this subject:

Hope these help!

New to the forum. I agree with a lot of what has been said here about the emergency food supplies here. A lot of sodium in most companies food. Depending on your budget you should look into a harvest right freeze dryer. All your own recipes and your own ingredients. I like it a lot but be warned IT IS expensive. The food almost tastes like leftovers, almost, when rehydrated. Ps, I don’t work for the company nor do I get compensated in any way, just sayin. :)

Back