testtest

EOTECH EFLX Red Dot Sight (Unboxing)

I ordered an Springfield Armory XD-M Elite OSP in 10mm, still waiting for it to come in so it can go into Maryland Gun Jail for a week after that.
So I noticed the new EOTECH EFLX Red Dot sight are now available, and with their Military Discount nocking it down an additional $75, I ordered one...
I got the 6MOA Dot, there is a version with a 3 MOA dot....
Only comes in black....
It advertises it is sealed and water proof, so no temporarily out of commission because a drop of water fell into the emitter opening...

It came in yesterday....
20221202_190445.jpg
20221202_190553.jpg

What's in the box?
  • The Red Dot (Battery Installed)
  • A Silicone Protective Cover
  • A special tool to open the battery case and adjust the zero
  • In the bag two mounting Torx screws
  • In the bag a Torx Wrench for the screws
Not in the Photo
  • A Manual
  • A Warranty Card
  • A Registration Card
  • An EOTECH Decal
20221202_190808.jpg

The Sight itself
20221202_191036.jpg
20221202_191043.jpg

The screws are the exact correct length to fit the XD-M Optics Mount Plate and not extend past the plate....
The Vortex and some Trijicon (usually the screws that come with the mount plate, not the sight itself) are too long and require filing or cutting down...
It has a top load battery, 25k to 20k battery life (lower for the bigger 6 MOA dot), and a feature to switch to always on until turned off or set an auto 12 hr shut off...
20221202_191130.jpg

How big is it?
I have still not seen a spec on the window size...
I measure it at .72" tall and .94" wide, to put it within 1/100" surface area of the Deltapoint Pro, it is more square than the DPP. The DPP being .68" tall and 1.01" wide.

Compared to a Trijicon RMR
External Dimensions, its the same length and .1" taller and wider than the RMR
20221202_192215.jpg

But notice, the base of the EFLX is taller than the RMR, more on that later...
20221202_192251.jpg

The EFLX measures and looks bigger and more square as well...

Compared to a Leupold Deltapoint Pro
External Dimensions, its .3" shorter and .1" taller and .1" narrower than the DPP, so pretty much the same size window in a smaller package...
20221202_192507.jpg

The Base of EFLX is slightly shorter than the DPP, which is notorious for being too tall for even suppressor height sights to co-witness...
20221202_192529.jpg

Windows about the same size (by height x width, the EFLX is .01 sq in smaller) but the squarer EFLX window looks better to me...

And my fear was realized, EOTECH did not publish detailed specs like the Window Size and Height of the Base.... Judging by the photos on the website, it turned out like the direct comparison...
I was hoping the base would not be too tall that it would be hard to find sights that could co-witness with it...
I have a set of Trijicon Suppressor Height Sights I was planning on fitting, but...

On my XD-M .45 ACP Slide, that I have all apart at the moment to Cerakote (remember, still waiting for my XD-M Elite OSP 10mm to come in)...
20221202_195312.jpg

Like the DPP, the base is too tall for most suppressor height sights...
BUT, the OEM sights on my XD-M Elite OSP Tactical Threaded Barrel 9mm, they do appear much taller than the Trijicon and look like they would work....
I have another thread open asking about how to find those OEM sights...
I plan on calling SA customer service on Monday when they open....

And my fear was realized, EOTECH did not publish detailed specs like the Window Size and Height of the Base.... Judging by the photos on the website, it turned out like the direct comparison...
I was hoping the base would not be too tall that it would be hard to find sights that could co-witness with it...
I have a set of Trijicon Suppressor Height Sights I was planning on fitting, but...

On my XD-M .45 ACP Slide, that I have all apart at the moment to Cerakote (remember, still waiting for my XD-M Elite OSP 10mm to come in)...
View attachment 33174

Like the DPP, the base is too tall for most suppressor height sights...
BUT, the OEM sights on my XD-M Elite OSP Tactical Threaded Barrel 9mm, they do appear much taller than the Trijicon and look like they would work....
I have another thread open asking about how to find those OEM sights...
I plan on calling SA customer service on Monday when they open....
Good looking sight though.
I think most of these RDS on pistols is hit or miss on effective fitting

Good looking sight though.
I think most of these RDS on pistols is hit or miss on effective fitting
Yep, the slide cuts and adapters plates vary from pistol to pistol and then the dimensions vary from sight to sight, not to mention red dot industry hasn't adopted a standardized mounting footprint, making the adapter plates necessary.

I saw there is a lesser known RDS that has a low enough base it will co-witness with most standard sights...
Most of them will require suppressor height sights if you want to co-witness.... ...and most will work with suppressor height sights... ....but you may have to get aftermarket parts and replace sights, etc...

So far, I've seen only the Leupold Deltapoint Pro that was problematic and in most combinations there are simply no sights tall enough to co-witness. The DPP does have an option to mount a rear sight on the RDS itself, and Leupold has a rear sight available for exactly this.... ...but without a matching front sight, what does that get you? There are no matching front sights in most cases, you either have to hope to get lucky or have a custom front sight made.

I haven't tried the Sig Romeo1 Pro, it looks a lot like the DPP, so it may have the same problem....

It is looking like the EOTECH EFLX may be a great RDS, it is a little smaller than the DPP and Sig Romeo1 Pro, but big enough sights to co-witness, may be problematic like those two....

The sight is a nice piece and could be good on a rifle setup. I like the large windowed optics like this 1. I'm not a fan of micro or compact rds on pistols, but everyone has their needs/wants. I too have a dpp that once was on 10mm m&p and now on a g41. The venom, dpp, r1, r3max and several others in similar size is my go-to's. I like the wider and not necessarily taller windows for aiming whether it be on pistols or AR's. Hope it's a good review you'll be giving!

The sight is a nice piece and could be good on a rifle setup. I like the large windowed optics like this 1. I'm not a fan of micro or compact rds on pistols, but everyone has their needs/wants. I too have a dpp that once was on 10mm m&p and now on a g41. The venom, dpp, r1, r3max and several others in similar size is my go-to's. I like the wider and not necessarily taller windows for aiming whether it be on pistols or AR's. Hope it's a good review you'll be giving!
I ordered a 3 moa and was thinking the same thing.

Yea, window the same size as the DPP, but in a smaller package. BUT, the DPP is more panoramic and the EFLX is taller and more square.

Still, the problem is the same as DPP with the EFLX, the base is tall enough co-witnessing with suppressor height sights get complicated. Most RDS, several aftermarket suppressor height sights will work perfectly to co-witness.

I like the idea of the EFLX being sealed. I've never experienced it with RDS, but I am told since they are open water can get in the emitter opening, and the sight won't work till it dries out. The EFLX is sealed to prevent that. The literature says you can immerse it in water (up to a certain depth, not so deep) and it will work, while other sites, use them in the rain or snow, its a matter of time before that moisture gets in the emitter opening and shut your sight down.

I called SA customer service, they tell me they now have Co-Witness Sights that are even taller than the suppressor height sights. They are out of the rear sights at the moment, but they expect some more in by the end of the month. So they took my info and will ship me a set of Co-Witness Height Sights when they come in. $12 per sight, meaning $24 for front/rear plus $10 shipping and handling. Can't beat that.

A shot of my XD-M Elite OSP 10mm with an EOTECH EFLX and the SA Optics Height Sights installed (the one's SA Customer Service Sent me for $25)....
20230112_123138.jpg

Just tall enough to co-witness / act as back-up sights...

The EFLX has a window as big as the Deltapoint Pro (The EFLX is more square though, while the DPP is wider and shorter), the EFLX base is taller than most RDS, but shorter than the DPP...

The Trijicon Suppressor Height Sights will work with the RMR and Vortex Viper, but not tall enough for the EFLX, the SA Optics Height sights were just tall enough. I suspect they will not be tall enough for the DPP...

Rumor has it that Eotech will introduce their first Holographic pistol site in two weeks at the Shot Show. If you remember the VP apologized last year for "not being ready". My age is going up and my eyesight is going down just like my retirement investments.

I like the shape of the window, but the height of the sight base is a bit alarming. That being said I don’t worry about cowitnessing my iron sights or my red dot failing. The lack of shake awake is a deal killer for me and I just don’t understand a 12 hour auto off. I guess if it’s your duty pistol you don’t want it going off, but for those of us who use red dots on everything and for a relative new entry in the market I don’t understand why these are not more feature rich with more options. This is what makes Holosun so successful and why the Delta Point Pro is so successful.

Rumor has it that Eotech will introduce their first Holographic pistol site in two weeks at the Shot Show. If you remember the VP apologized last year for "not being ready". My age is going up and my eyesight is going down just like my retirement investments.
That will be interesting, I have an EOTECH 512 on my AR. While understand the technology and how they are different, I don't have enough experience to really see how the holographic is that much better than the red dot, in the sense it will perform better and allow you to be more accurate? Especially for the shorter ranges of a pistol.

I like the shape of the window, but the height of the sight base is a bit alarming. That being said I don’t worry about cowitnessing my iron sights or my red dot failing. The lack of shake awake is a deal killer for me and I just don’t understand a 12 hour auto off. I guess if it’s your duty pistol you don’t want it going off, but for those of us who use red dots on everything and for a relative new entry in the market I don’t understand why these are not more feature rich with more options. This is what makes Holosun so successful and why the Delta Point Pro is so successful.
Considering how the RDS is geometry dependent, my guess is that its simply a fact of geometry, the bigger the window the bigger the base. The EFLX at least has a smaller base than the DPP.

I can see how the shake awake feature is advantageous. But if your carrying, wouldn't the RDS be on constantly then? Most of the quality RDS, will go a full year with the sight on constantly.
The RMR2 has auto brightness, which is a huge advantageous feature to me. I have one adjustable model and two non-adjustable models. The non adjustable RMR2 is on constantly, and while its been less than a year since I got them, I haven't noticed a problem yet.

I read the EFLX is sealed and can even be immersed under water, I forget the depth, a big advantage over other RDS.

I'm surprised at how few RDS have a reticle option other than a simple dot, that is where the Holosun and one model of the Burris out do the others.

Three of those ADE sights i bought have all that stuff on them, shake awake, auto brightness, reticle options, red or green circle dot, circle or just a dot at half the price of the holosun. Holosun are japanese made.

Yeah i know they are china made, but i have two on 10mm and it hasn't phased em none. will they break the next time out? it's possible. ya never know. one i have on a 9mm has seen a lot of rounds and still going strong. i have two holosuns, i like the sight itself but the thing i don't like is the buttons are too small and it's hard to turn it off and on, especially off cause you have to push both.

That will be interesting, I have an EOTECH 512 on my AR. While understand the technology and how they are different, I don't have enough experience to really see how the holographic is that much better than the red dot, in the sense it will perform better and allow you to be more accurate? Especially for the shorter ranges of a pistol.

Considering how the RDS is geometry dependent, my guess is that its simply a fact of geometry, the bigger the window the bigger the base. The EFLX at least has a smaller base than the DPP.

I can see how the shake awake feature is advantageous. But if your carrying, wouldn't the RDS be on constantly then? Most of the quality RDS, will go a full year with the sight on constantly.
The RMR2 has auto brightness, which is a huge advantageous feature to me. I have one adjustable model and two non-adjustable models. The non adjustable RMR2 is on constantly, and while its been less than a year since I got them, I haven't noticed a problem yet.

I read the EFLX is sealed and can even be immersed under water, I forget the depth, a big advantage over other RDS.

I'm surprised at how few RDS have a reticle option other than a simple dot, that is where the Holosun and one model of the Burris out do the others.
When carrying with “shake awake” Holosun dots (507c and 507k) the dot is constantly on, you can easily turn it off manually but I never do.

I suspect this is the case with all “shake awake” dots since in order to be useful the sensitivity has to be pretty high.🤷‍♂️

Not sure about the 507, but the 510 and 512 are submersible (though not to the depth of the Eotech) and have 3 reticle options.

As for the shake awake, worrying about it being on while you're carrying is pointless since non shake awake dots are also on. The difference is you have to turn them on and off when you aren't carrying them. I can also tell you a 2032 in a Holosun with shake awake lasts a hell of a lot longer than a year.

The main advantage of a Holo sight ( or the main stated advantage) is the difference in parallax. Which is minimal at best and in reality moot. At any rate it's more than offset by the spate of issues that have been popping up with Eotechs. Bouncing reticles, horrible battery life. Yeah the Holosuns are Chinese, but can anyone here testify to having quality issues with any Holosun sights, including Sig Romeo 5s, which are rebranded Holosuns ?

I personally know 2 ex operators who have Holosuns on all their handguns and carbines and claim they would take them to combat over the Eotechs they carried when deployed.

Full disclosure, I have never owned an Eotech, but having looked and shot through one I prefer my Holosuns.

I just wish Holosuns had bigger windows which seems to be the trend these days. When I use a pistol with a DPP or Romeo 1 Pro and go back to my Holosun it feels like looking through a port hole! Don’t get me wrong - it doesn’t stop me from still being a bad ass. 😜😎

I just wish Holosuns had bigger windows which seems to be the trend these days. When I use a pistol with a DPP or Romeo 1 Pro and go back to my Holosun it feels like looking through a port hole! Don’t get me wrong - it doesn’t stop me from still being a bad ass. 😜😎
The 510 and 512 have windows the size of TVs.

Back