testtest

Expensive Afternoon

My wife likes to turn on the dishwasher as we leave. Ten days later we return and I open the dishwasher to get a glass. Before I realize it the entire rubber seal separates from the unit.
Loked at a you tube video after a few days of procrastination and repaired it. It seems to be OK after a week or so.
Don't let the dishwasher set closed for a week or so after a wash. The seal appears to glue itself to the door.

My wife likes to turn on the dishwasher as we leave. Ten days later we return and I open the dishwasher to get a glass. Before I realize it the entire rubber seal separates from the unit.
Loked at a you tube video after a few days of procrastination and repaired it. It seems to be OK after a week or so.
Don't let the dishwasher set closed for a week or so after a wash. The seal appears to glue itself to the door.
I had friends where the dishwasher caught fire.
I never run the dishwasher when I leave or go to bed

I had friends where the dishwasher caught fire.
I never run the dishwasher when I leave or go to bed
I don’t run ANY appliances at night or when I’m not going to be home.
When my wife and I bought our last home it had a full basement where we put our washer/dryer, I had left for work and my wife loaded the washer and left for work, she had loaded a blanket with clothes and it ended up unbalanced and walked away enough to break the water supply lines off the washer and flooded the basement, I got home to find 2 feet of water, had to have the fire department pump it out.

Got to ask this, do you regularly clean the coil? I used to clean ours every 6 months with a vac, just have to be careful, before we sold our house last year, our fridge was 24 years old, it was a Admiral, left it with the new owner. You wouldn’t believe how much lint, fuzz that collected in the coils
Yes I also vac it twice a year. The quality just isn't there anymore

The cost of everything is insane. When me and my fiancee bought our house a little over a year ago, we were absolutely staggered by the cost of appliances and how long the wait was. We closed on our house first week of May 2021. We didn't have plans to move in until July, so we had roughly 7-8 weeks before moving in.

Refrigerators were just about impossible to find the one you needed in stock or a reasonable lead time. Most everything was "Don't know when we are getting more in".

We ended up scouring a few different Lowe's stores until we found a $4,000 Frigidaire Gallery on the sales floor that they damaged a bit of the stainless steel during unloading. Price was cut to $1,600 due to the cosmetic damages. Only caveat was they will not deliver it and you have to take it on the spot once you buy it. I had the fiancee stand guard while I shot over to Home Depot and rented a truck. Flew back over, bought some ratcheting tie downs and threw that sumbitch on the truck and drove her home. $125 truck rental and $1,600 cash got us the fanciest fridge i've ever seen in my life. Did some small research on polishing stainless steel, got a special polish, busted out the Dremel and buffed out those scratches. Good as new.

We had that happen 14 months ago to a GE fridge 5 +/- years old. No warranty but way too new to trash so we had a friend of a friend appliance repairman take a look at it.

Turned out to be the motherboard. Yes that's right they all have them and had for years now. It was going to be a couple of days to get the part so he jumped it out so it would work. Bypassed some known trouble spot on the board. We held on to that board in case it happened again as I learned how to swap them. We now have an appliance repair guy until he retires. I also now tell everyone not to be in such a rush to replace an appliance in less you were ready to anyway because most problems nowadays are easy plug-in repairs.

Incoming tech rant!
I didn't do this yet. I'm an A.A.S industrial ET +30yrs. I 'am' the repair guy for most things, but when I went to replace an aging fridge in hopes of getting something more efficient I found that not only have they not actually been improved(and could be with ac inverter/brushlessdc tech) but the builds are such garbage that plastic shelves break under any real load and the refrigerator sections have no actual cooling, relying on poor airflow from the freezer section. I'm considering buying an upright freezer with metal shelves and replacing the preset freezer thermostat with an industrial grade Temperature controller or ardiuno design to make a fridge great again.

Incoming tech rant!
I didn't do this yet. I'm an A.A.S industrial ET +30yrs. I 'am' the repair guy for most things, but when I went to replace an aging fridge in hopes of getting something more efficient I found that not only have they not actually been improved(and could be with ac inverter/brushlessdc tech) but the builds are such garbage that plastic shelves break under any real load and the refrigerator sections have no actual cooling, relying on poor airflow from the freezer section. I'm considering buying an upright freezer with metal shelves and replacing the preset freezer thermostat with an industrial grade Temperature controller or ardiuno design to make a fridge great again.
Have a GE fridge that does that, cools from the freezer. The fan that does that has gone out twice in about 6 years. Water it always leaking out of the bottom because the tiny hose in the back gets clogged or ice forms in the bottom of the freezer because the drain is draining into the freezer instead of the drain pan. The new cabinetry was literally built around this fridge. Not fun trying to move it out to get to the back.

I've got a friend that is still using a refrigerator his parents bought back in the 1950s. He mostly keeps beer in it, but it still runs keeps the beer cold. It's one of those old ones with the pull down handle on the from and once it closes there's not way you can open it from the inside. I can remember hearing about kids learning that lesson the hard way.

I've got a friend that is still using a refrigerator his parents bought back in the 1950s. He mostly keeps beer in it, but it still runs keeps the beer cold. It's one of those old ones with the pull down handle on the from and once it closes there's not way you can open it from the inside. I can remember hearing about kids learning that lesson the hard way.
I have one of those. a 1948 hotpoint. I had beer and the occasional deer in mine. The pump finally failed abut a year ago and my power bill dropped about 20$ a month. :oops:

Incoming tech rant!
You nailed it on the air flow part for sure! Side-bys are better than top-bottom units I've bought as far as cooling. I use lots of ice even in the winter and if an ice maker can't keep up, then I'm an unhappy person (the wife too). Milk is placed at the coldest point in the fridge and sometimes it ain't cold enough!

Woot VCDL!

My wife shops for appliances in the Lowe's scratch and dent section. She has saved us thousands over the years. She has the patience to wait till she sees what she wants but if you need a fridge right now, you need a fridge right now.
yes....we had a store near us, that sold, NEW, but scratch and dent items. full warranty too, just a cheaper price.

it is no longer there. we had gotten a nice stove, with a dent on the side, which up against the wall, the only one that could see it was the cat, and he didn't mind, as long as his food/water bowls were full.

yeah, we have a very old washer/dryer from Sears, the Kenmore model..the "fan belt" for the dryer drum finally broke after all those years....i looked up replacing it myself, even found the replacement belt on Amazon, but at my age, it was a better idea to call the Sears contractor (A&E).

the downside of being old........

There’s no such thing as better price points. The prices are all but fixed. You can shop and shop until
You’re numb and the prices will not vary more than a few bucks. We actually bought direct from Samsung because overall we could get a better deal.

Agree with this 100%. On the last several years we replaced the stove and refrigerator, and bought a brand new dishwasher (there wasn't one in the house already). Also bought a dryer and 2 washers (first washer died shortly after warranty expired).
We definitely prefer Home Depot over Lowes, but after a lot of research, it doesn't seem that they all have the sme pricing. Seems sales are more driven by the manufacturer than the retailer. Plus, everyoen price matches eachother anyway

We started buying from a mom and pop local store and couldn't be happier with our experience.
Now, we were told by multiple sales people to stay away from Samsung as their are no repair people anywhere near us, so you can't get it services. Hopefully you don't have that issue

Needed a refrigerator quick this summer and bought a no frills model, no water, no ice maker. About $800 for 21 cu. ft. I read a lot of comments and reviews about problem brands and avoided those. The technology put into appliances makes for shorter working lives. No one keeps any of these things 20-30 years any longer, they'll never last.

My wife shops for appliances in the Lowe's scratch and dent section. She has saved us thousands over the years. She has the patience to wait till she sees what she wants but if you need a fridge right now, you need a fridge right now.
That was the issue! We had to have a fridge.

Agree with this 100%. On the last several years we replaced the stove and refrigerator, and bought a brand new dishwasher (there wasn't one in the house already). Also bought a dryer and 2 washers (first washer died shortly after warranty expired).
We definitely prefer Home Depot over Lowes, but after a lot of research, it doesn't seem that they all have the sme pricing. Seems sales are more driven by the manufacturer than the retailer. Plus, everyoen price matches eachother anyway

We started buying from a mom and pop local store and couldn't be happier with our experience.
Now, we were told by multiple sales people to stay away from Samsung as their are no repair people anywhere near us, so you can't get it services. Hopefully you don't have that issue
No, purchased a Whirlpool. Hopefully it will last. I'm not to fond of Korean anything.

Back