testtest

Expensive Afternoon

N

nmedge

This morning woke up to a broken refrigerator. It about 8 years old and all warranties are over. Wife says lets just get a new one! Went to Lowes and was floored by the prices! When did refrigerators go up in price? Didn't see anything we liked so we went to local independent store here in town. Prices were just about the same as Lowes and Homedepot but they did have a Whirlpool model we both liked and they could deliver it today. So, $2100.00 later the new refrigerator will be delivered this afternoon. I can't believe it costs this much money for a new appliance! I bet anything we will need a new stove here shortly, its just my luck.

This morning woke up to a broken refrigerator. It about 8 years old and all warranties are over. Wife says lets just get a new one! Went to Lowes and was floored by the prices! When did refrigerators go up in price? Didn't see anything we liked so we went to local independent store here in town. Prices were just about the same as Lowes and Homedepot but they did have a Whirlpool model we both liked and they could deliver it today. So, $2100.00 later the new refrigerator will be delivered this afternoon. I can't believe it costs this much money for a new appliance! I bet anything we will need a new stove here shortly, its just my luck.
wow, that is a huge price jump..!!

we got our Frigidaire at Lowes as well, a few years ago, and it certainly was not that high, at least (if i recall) around $1,000.

frankly, the Mrs and i are done for Lowes and even Home Depot. we now go to an appliance store, that does have a service dept.

with Lowes/Home Depot, you have to call the 800 number.

another thing too, with all the idiots those stores hire..???

one is better off at a REAL appliance store. that's all they sell. so they know thier products.

not one day, you're working in the wood dept, the next in the trash can dept, and still the next, cutting keys in hardware dept.....

many times, the local utility company's (gas or electric) have rebates when we upgrade our appliances.

my wife told me we got a whopping $100 back then.

we got $50 for the new gas stove.

then too, at the very least, the new appliances are more energy efficient.

Yeah I should have paid more attention to it. Noticed it was running a lot the the last week or so. Nothing really got ruined but it sure ruined my day. I was thinking of a new gun..... not now!
Got to ask this, do you regularly clean the coil? I used to clean ours every 6 months with a vac, just have to be careful, before we sold our house last year, our fridge was 24 years old, it was a Admiral, left it with the new owner. You wouldn’t believe how much lint, fuzz that collected in the coils

Yeah I should have paid more attention to it. Noticed it was running a lot the the last week or so. Nothing really got ruined but it sure ruined my day. I was thinking of a new gun..... not now!
You probably could have had the compressor replaced the only issue with that is when a compressor fails it floods the evaporator with lots of junk and if the service guy doesn’t flush the evaporator out completely the junk in it will ruin a new compressor in short order.

Interesting story…. Back in the late 80’s when I got married the wife and I bought a new GE refrigerator it started to fail after 3 years. We called GE and they sent out a service guy, he knew exactly what the problem was, trying to save money GE went with one size compressor for everything they made which was way to small for a refrigerator. It was the size of a head of lettuce. 🤦‍♂️ he completely flushed the whole system and installed a compressor 3 times bigger than what he took out, that refrigerator ran great for another 20 years.

Got to ask this, do you regularly clean the coil? I used to clean ours every 6 months with a vac, just have to be careful, before we sold our house last year, our fridge was 24 years old, it was a Admiral, left it with the new owner. You wouldn’t believe how much lint, fuzz that collected in the coils
Admiral made great units. Very important to clean the coils, the problem is many manufacturers moved the coils from the back of the fridge to underneath, not easy to clean and doesn’t allow for good cooling.

Listen you just think inflation is here ho chi Joe lieden says u r wrong it didn't really cost that much maybe only .8 % more you just aren't figuring the cost correctly.

My frig is 20+ and I feel ur pain, u r lucky its being delivered so quickly I've been told a week to month to come in. I pray it doesn't dump on me.

This is an experience I've had with Lowe's. Less than a 1 year old fridge it wasn't working properly, so I called the number for repair. The tech people had to come from the DFW area (350 miles). The repair/tech people didn't want to do it, so I got a 100% refund (taxes and extended warranty included). Lowe's couldn't believe that this manufacturer did that (as in a good thing). I've had good experiences with them and Home Depot. In my area (long way to nowhere) the prices are hard to beat. I've tried local, but prices are 500 to 1,000 $ more per pair on washer/dryer. Local is easier, but way more expensive. The 100ile drive seems to be worth it.

I never had much luck with my local Lowe’s, they have a tendency to sell seconds without informing you, I used to purchase from them while I was working at my sheriffs dept, we got these instead of new on a couple of purchases, how could I tell, well the coffee maker we got had old coffee stains in it, but boxed was sealed like new. 😕😕

We just remodeled our kitchen and decided to buy a new fridge. I happened upon the Samsung Bespoke line and immediately found myself spending the kind of money I always swore I would never spend on a fridge. I will say that my wife and I are completely enamored with this fridge, so I guess that’s something.

When we were getting close to moving back into the house while I was rebuilding it after the flood and we were living in my friend's basement, my wife says to me one day, " Lowes has a scratch and ding refrigerator on sale for $1300". I asked her if she was out of her mind. I never paid more than a couple hundred bucks for a fridge. It was a fight. A couple days later I finally said "Fine, let's go look at the GD refrigerator". She informed me that one was gone. So we go anyway and I swear within 5 minutes of looking at the refrigerators, me, the guy who told her I wasn't paying $1300 for a fridge, was telling her we were buying this one right here for $3200. It had a window in the front and hooked to the internet. I could control the beer drawer temp from my phone. It would tell me when we were out of beer. She then told me how her hacker buddies would get their hands on video of people they knew getting into the fridge in the middle of the night and prank them with it. I remembered the day I saw my first robot vacuum become self aware and bash it's boundary sensor senseless against the wall and decided maybe we didn't need a refrigerator that had internet access.

We ended up with a $2400 Samsung. It has a separate beer drawer. 2 Christmas's in a row the ice maker froze up and after 3 "retrofit fixes" it's been flawless for a few years now. Ice makers that live in the fridge seem to be an issue.

By the way, me and the robot vacuums have an understanding, but it's an uneasy one at best. So I never wander out of the bedroom unarmed. ;)

About a year ago the prices were high but nothing was in stock, you had to wait for everything.

The only thing I've heard about buying appliances at Lowes and Home Depot is that the appliance companies build them to the specs that the box stores want so they can get better price points.
There’s no such thing as better price points. The prices are all but fixed. You can shop and shop until
You’re numb and the prices will not vary more than a few bucks. We actually bought direct from Samsung because overall we could get a better deal.

Back