testtest

F-105 Thunderchief: The Mighty Thud

The cancellation of the F-107 and F-108 programs in the late 1950s, as well as the cancellation of the Navaho intercontinental cruise missile program, was a blow to North American from which it never fully recovered.

NA had some space program work as a sub-contractor. NA meager with Rockwell soon forming North American Rockwell.

NA ceased to exist as an independent company in 1967.

Republic - After the F-105 Republic struggled and was eventually taken over by Fairchild, which also folded after the A-10 program.

The final years

In December 1957, Republic developed a helicopter division, building the French Aérospatiale Alouette II helicopter under license, with marginal sales success.

In an effort to keep the company going, Republic proposed converting a wartime-developed four-engine reconnaissance aircraft (the XF-12 Rainbow) into a transport aircraft. The aircraft would be very fast for a prop plane, but interest from airlines was not sufficient to continue development of the aircraft and the project was cancelled.

Republic Aviation made one last attempt to survive by returning to military contracts. In 1960, Republic Aviation acquired a minority interest in the Dutch aircraft company Fokker, and attempted to market a Fokker-designed attack plane (Fokker/Republic D-24 Alliance variable sweep wing VTOL) to the Air Force, but the Air Force showed little interest in the foreign design and no contracts were offered.

In the early 1960s, the aerospace company Fairchild, owned by Sherman Fairchild, began purchasing Republic's stock and finally acquired Republic Aviation in July 1965. In September, Republic became the Republic Aviation Division of Fairchild Hiller and ceased to exist as an independent company.

Republic's naming system was carried forward by Fairchild Hiller with the A-10 Thunderbolt II, which first flew in May 1972.
Yup.

My Dad went to work for Fairchild-Republic in 1967, flying their FH-227 and, later, Fokker F-28 jet. He never flew the A-10, but his office (Flight Test) was in the building where they were built. I am sitting about a mile from this building even as I type this. The oddball F-105D desk model I mentioned above is from his office. ;)

Kenneth Thaete was the brother of one of our church members. He wrote his memoirs of flying for the Air Force including his time as a F-105 pilot in VietNam. His book is titled, "Memoirs of a Wild Weasel". I read a copy that his sister provided, but returned it so she could pass it along to another veteran. Fascinating memoir. I highly recommend reading it if you can find a copy.

Kenneth Thaete was the brother of one of our church members. He wrote his memoirs of flying for the Air Force including his time as a F-105 pilot in VietNam. His book is titled, "Memoirs of a Wild Weasel". I read a copy that his sister provided, but returned it so she could pass it along to another veteran. Fascinating memoir. I highly recommend reading it if you can find a copy.
Thanks for the heads-up. I'll try to find a copy. I have two or three books on the Weasels already, but not that one. ;)

Okay, I tried. Can't find ANY reference to that book, although I did discover a number of other WW books I haven't read yet. Do you have a link?

Okay, I tried. Can't find ANY reference to that book, although I did discover a number of other WW books I haven't read yet. Do you have a link?
I wish I did. I will talk with his sister this Sunday when I see her at church to see if she knows where you can find a copy. The book is actually the personal memoirs of Ken. After his first wife passed away, his family encourage him to write his memoirs. I'll see what I can find out about finding a copy.

Anyone who has even the slightest interest in combat aviation or Vietnam has to read Thud Ridge. It is absolutely riveting to read what the F105 guys were tasked to do over there and how they went out day after day into the toughest air defenses ever seen. They took tremendous losses and kept going downtown.
My hat is off to them!

Anyone who has even the slightest interest in combat aviation or Vietnam has to read Thud Ridge. It is absolutely riveting to read what the F105 guys were tasked to do over there and how they went out day after day into the toughest air defenses ever seen. They took tremendous losses and kept going downtown.
My hat is off to them!
Yup. And then read the sequel, Going Downtown, and then Rupert Red Two, the story of the REST of Broughton's life.

And then read Fighter Pilot, the autobiography of Robin Olds.

And then My Secret War, by A-1 pilot Richard Drury. ;)

Yes, that is Ken's history as a F-105 pilot. His book is his memoirs. I never knew Ken, but I do know his sister, which is how I came across a copy of his memoirs. As I mentioned previously, after he retired, his family prevailed on him to write his memoirs. It is a really well written book. His widow (his second wife) self-publishes them and has sent copies to as far away as Australia.

Yes, that is Ken's history as a F-105 pilot. His book is his memoirs. I never knew Ken, but I do know his sister, which is how I came across a copy of his memoirs. As I mentioned previously, after he retired, his family prevailed on him to write his memoirs. It is a really well written book. His widow (his second wife) self-publishes them and has sent copies to as far away as Australia.

I wouldn't mind a copy myself.....

Yup. And then read the sequel, Going Downtown, and then Rupert Red Two, the story of the REST of Broughton's life.

And then read Fighter Pilot, the autobiography of Robin Olds.

And then My Secret War, by A-1 pilot Richard Drury. ;)
Realizing we're talking about fixed wing flying, has anyone read "Chickenhawk"? Great chopper read.

Back