testtest

Factory or Handloads?

How Many Carry Factory vs Hand Loads

• Total voters
So, I carry nothing but factory ammunition; I wouldn’t advise anyone to do otherwise (and this is based on advice from numerous trainers, as well as my personal attorney). About the only time that it might ever be an issue for me is if something should go seriously sideways when I’m hunting…because those are all exclusively handloads. Low percentage of issues there, though, and being able to say I was loaded to shoot a deer will go a long ways in stopping an arguments against it.

That being said, though—with the exception of one case which, to be honest, is a little sketchy (Ayoob often brings it up as an example of why not to carry handloads, though…), I am unaware of anyone involved in a clear-cut case of self defense that used handloads that was convicted for unlawful use of force based mainly on the fact that they used handloads.

I do know people who do carry handloads for defense, and their argument is pretty damn solid for it: the have a level of quality control far above what you can get with factory ammo; the can precisely control powder charges, inspect each cartridge for exact OAL ensuring reliability, etc, etc…those that do this always secure a box of exemplar cartridges from each batch of their handloads, so should they (in the highly unlikely instance that they actually use their weapon in self defense, and further more unlikely instance that it becomes an issue), they can provide cartridges identical to the ones used.

It’s a solid argument; it’s not my choice, but I can’t fault it.

I someone is stupid enough too shoot at me or my family then I don't care if they are HL! If they use that as an argument then why can you use HP? Seems like FMJ would only be acceptable! Don't give me a reason too shoot you and there won't be a discussion! PI$$ on the plaintiff sitting across from me!

So, I carry nothing but factory ammunition; I wouldn’t advise anyone to do otherwise (and this is based on advice from numerous trainers, as well as my personal attorney). About the only time that it might ever be an issue for me is if something should go seriously sideways when I’m hunting…because those are all exclusively handloads. Low percentage of issues there, though, and being able to say I was loaded to shoot a deer will go a long ways in stopping an arguments against it.

That being said, though—with the exception of one case which, to be honest, is a little sketchy (Ayoob often brings it up as an example of why not to carry handloads, though…), I am unaware of anyone involved in a clear-cut case of self defense that used handloads that was convicted for unlawful use of force based mainly on the fact that they used handloads.

I do know people who do carry handloads for defense, and their argument is pretty damn solid for it: the have a level of quality control far above what you can get with factory ammo; the can precisely control powder charges, inspect each cartridge for exact OAL ensuring reliability, etc, etc…those that do this always secure a box of exemplar cartridges from each batch of their handloads, so should they (in the highly unlikely instance that they actually use their weapon in self defense, and further more unlikely instance that it becomes an issue), they can provide cartridges identical to the ones used.

It’s a solid argument; it’s not my choice, but I can’t fault it.
And I'm sure those guys handloads are awesome. Me, I have serious doubts that I could produce something more effective than HSTs. I used to load 12 gauge hulls with stacks of dimes. I assure you that will F some S up. Including the inside of your barrel. :ROFLMAO:

It's factory loads for me. And only the best will do for carrying. I won't carry cheap ammo, because it may not perform when I need it most. However, I will shoot cheap ammo when I'm practicing at the range. Likewise, I would shoot hand loads at the range if I had those.

And I'm sure those guys handloads are awesome. Me, I have serious doubts that I could produce something more effective than HSTs. I used to load 12 gauge hulls with stacks of dimes. I assure you that will F some S up. Including the inside of your barrel. :ROFLMAO:
They tend to load with Golden Sabers or XTP’s.

Although one actually loads with HST—Federal had some overrun bullet component HST for saLE a few years ago, he bought several thousand of them.

Another loads HD shotgun shells with a fairly low recoil BB load.

Well yes if may foul up your barrel because they're too small for a 12ga. 😁 That trick works much better in the 16ga. since they fit exactly in the 16ga. hull, wad and barrel.
YES it is knarly down range on the target😉
One of my buddies would load up all kinds of crap. Nuts, bolts, pieces of jagged metal. In his defense, he was an idiot. He's dead now.

Coincidentally, after flat screens became a thing you'd be surprised how many people would set their heavy old tube TVs out to the curb. 🙃

Coincidentally, after flat screens became a thing you'd be surprised how many people would set their heavy old tube TVs out to the curb.
Oh yeah!! We hefted a 32"CRT off a 15' tall concrete wall to the asphalt parking at the Catholic Church.... IT WAS A SERIOUS BOOM!!
It just echoed off the wall and large church and nun building.
At 2 a.m. it sounded like we dropped a 500 pounder lol

i'm thinking that when i finish all the reloaded ammo ( a lot to go thru) that i bought, it'll be the end of it.

it is smokey as all heck, and jams my expensive Korth revolver, with that crud. (so i only use NEW)

it is good for my 45's, but i hate the smoke screen i gotta wait to clear.

in the beginning, there wasn't this problem with the reloads, so my best guess is, the guy is buying whatever he can find.

as the prices of factory new are coming down, that's the way i will go.

as well as keep a good stock of ammo, for the next zombie apocalypse.

and for the record, i buy this reloaded ammo from a store that's been licensed since the 1970's

Factory loads only for daily self defense carry and range. However, during the pandemic price gouging madness, I helped a friend who has been reloading for over 40 years reload 2 thousand rounds of 9mm FMJ for the range to factory specs over 3 sessions. He gave me 5 boxes to try in exchange for a case of beer I brought for after the last session (not drinking while reloading), my donated brass (he'll only reload brass shot once), and my assistance. Shot them at the range with no problems of any kind. They were accurate and clean plus the great time we had catching up while doing it. With prices slowly coming down and availability of my preferred factory range ammo, I'm shooting that again from my large pre-pandemic stash but still rationing. Just wish I had the space and the $ for the stunning array of top notch reloading equipment he has acquired over the years. Well worth the effort for what I learned from him.

Factory loads only for daily self defense carry and range. However, during the pandemic price gouging madness, I helped a friend who has been reloading for over 40 years reload 2 thousand rounds of 9mm FMJ for the range to factory specs over 3 sessions. He gave me 5 boxes to try in exchange for a case of beer I brought for after the last session (not drinking while reloading), my donated brass, and my assistance. Shot them at the range with no problems of any kind. They were accurate and clean plus the great time we had catching up while doing it. With prices slowly coming down and availability of my preferred factory range ammo, I'm shooting that again from my large pre-pandemic stash but still rationing. Just wish I had the space and the $ for the stunning array of top notch reloading equipment he has acquired over the years. Well worth the effort for what I learned from him.
Always good to have friends like that. Sounds like a great time and a great friend!

Back