testtest

feeding issues with my hellcat

scott85

Alpha
I purchased the hellcat for off duty carry and went shooting today, the gun was running fine for the first 20 rounds and all of sudden it started having feeding issues. i then cleaned and oiled it and started shooting and it started doing it again.

i was shooting Remington umc 115 grain bullets.
Any suggestion would be appreciated

Scott85

New gun > tight recoil spring or weak ammo ? Mags too full or mag springs too tight?
I’ve been lucky to never have experienced this sort phenomenon in the past, but always heard the action eases up once fully worked over time.

Sometimes I wonder about quality control these days, could be a lemon or fluke but trying out a new pistol will now require an assortment of various ammo and some spare magazines. That’s not at all convenient but there’s a break-in period for some stuff. But 300 rounds for trial & error and a trip back to the LGS range is money you don’t get back from what may be a lemon pistol.

I haven't used any of it yet, but picked up a case of UMC 115 9mm last October, no Hellcat (yet) so it may be a while before I get out to tryout these UMC practice rounds.

My Hellcats have digested everything from top quality Winchester and Sig to Bulk rot gut reloads without getting indigestion. I would agree with the folks above to try different manufacturers and weights to see if that makes a difference. If none of that works, you could send it back to Springfield to avail yourself of their excellent customer service.

I have a S&W M&P 22 that worked fine for about 400 rounds then started jamming up. Different ammo did not work. I sent it back to S&W and they polished the feed ramp in addition to replacing some parts no charge. It has been reliable since.

I agree with running heavier ammo thru it for awhile & see what happens

When I bought a VP9 they suggested running 124 or 147 through it for awhile before feeding a steady diet of 115. I pretty much stick to 124 anyway, but just to see I ran a couple boxes of 115 through it right away and had no issues. 1500 plus rounds of 124 later and still never an issue.

Anyway, that recommendation led me to research it and it's actually a somewhat common suggestion to run heavier loads before trying light loads. Some shotguns are treated the same way. They allege the TS-12 and the Benelli M4 need to have a couple hundred rounds of heavy loads, 1200 FPS or faster, before they will run reliably with field loads. I can't speak for the M4, but my TS-12 has never skipped a beat and I fed it everything I had, including 200 rounds of #8 the first day after I bought it and had no issues. Nevertheless, if I was the OP I would start with ammo and then magazines before I moved on to something else.

While I still believe what I wrote earlier when Clay did the 10,000 round test he used 115 gr American Eagle ammo https://www.thearmorylife.com/hellcat-kills-10k-rounds/
Two identical guns off the same assembly line may not be exactly the same. Hence why we constantly preach that when breaking in a new gun you try a lot of different rounds and figure out which ones your gun likes best and then stick with it.

Back