testtest

Finally got my CCL.

My advice is don't pinch your pennies. If a good holster is a bit more expensive than something else which might do, go ahead and buy it anyway. You will never miss the money, but you will be filled with joy whenever you use that beautiful gear.

Mitch Rosen Extraordinary Gunleather for leather (the Express Line is outstanding and economical), and Vedder for kydex.

Took the course in February and It finally showed up yesterday.
Now starts the daunting act of finding a comfortable holster..
Have a look at Legacy Firearms. I’ve bought several of their Cronus IWB holsters recently and I’m really happy with them. I definitely agree on getting a claw with your holster it really makes a difference.

My advice is don't pinch your pennies. If a good holster is a bit more expensive than something else which might do, go ahead and buy it anyway. You will never miss the money, but you will be filled with joy whenever you use that beautiful gear.

Mitch Rosen Extraordinary Gunleather for leather (the Express Line is outstanding and economical), and Vedder for kydex.
Yea, agree, don’t buy cheap, in the end it may come back and bite you, best to get a good holster!

Congrats.

Definitely, as the meme implies, when you first start, it won't be comfortable. You will notice every step you take. You will be constantly adjusting you belt line and/or your shirt. You will feel like every single person knows you are carrying. They don't. And you will eventually get over all of this.

I see a lot of people making recommendations but I didn't really notice anyone asking you questions.

I have a few.

What gun do you plan on carrying?
What position (appendix, 3 o'clock, crossdraw, small of back) do you plan on trying first?
IWB or OWB?
Also, what's your body type like? Are you a bean pole, or do you heave a considerable amount of tactical girth.

Another thing to keep in mind is you are going to need a good belt. I mean, a good belt. Preferable a gun belt. I stared with a cheap belt when I started carrying and I hated it. I then upgraded to good leather belts by Dickies and Carhart. Definitely an improvement. About a year ago I bought my first gun belt, and it was a HUGE improvement. I would really look into one. I grabbed mine off of crossbreed second for a great price.

I see you are in Illinois, so probably similar climate to me. Right now you probably have warm weather, so you are probably wearing light layers, maybe just a t-shirt? Probably need a small, thin, IWB holster for that. Personally, I would recommend strong side carry about the 3 or 4 o'clock position to start with.

For IWB, I have two preferences, depending on what I am doing and how long I plan on being out for the day.

For a quick trip, I like just a simple kydex/plastic, single clip type holster.

Now, overall, I feel OWB is more comfortable, especially depending on your build, what gun you are carrying, and what you are wearing. I feel OWB can be a little harder to conceal, as with IWB at least half of the gun/holster is hiding in your pants , so you are only dealing with hiding the top half. But with OWB, you have to hide the whole thing. Not too big of a deal, but something to consider.

SO, for IWB I suggest something like this (single clip kydex)
d
WTP.jpg

Or this, dual clip hybrid for a lighter gun

de
Reckoning.jpg

i
Or the gun is heavier, something that spreads the weight a little more
i
Alien Gear.jpg

Now, for IWB, I have had one these Outlaw holsters, all kydex. IT's a belt slide, which I prefer for OWB

outlaw.jpg

Or, I just got this for my Hellcat Pro. I haven't used it yet but it seems nice and I think I will like it

blade tech.jpg

Of course, there are leather options as well. They tend to cost more. As some have mentioned, Versaycarry are good options. I haven't tried one, but I have a few of their mag carriers. If you sing up for their emails/texts, you will get notified of sales with GREAT pricing.

If you are a Prime member, you can find some good options for all types on Amazon

Last edited:
good luck, i wish them well

how many years are yours good for..??

mine is like 5 years.
Thank you. Currently good for 6 years. With the recent Supreme Court ruling, they want to punish us and move to 3.
The quick story behind that is, in MA it's your local police chief who makes the decision if you can have a permit and for what restriction he/she decides to put on it. With that now struck down, they just pushed through a very vague "suitability" law that the police chiefs can now use. The 3 year license will let them "check" on people more often, even though they are notified if you have committed a crime. At that point they can suspend or revoke the license. I have read that even the chiefs are scratching their heads with this nonsense they are about to push through.

Thank you. Currently good for 6 years. With the recent Supreme Court ruling, they want to punish us and move to 3.
The quick story behind that is, in MA it's your local police chief who makes the decision if you can have a permit and for what restriction he/she decides to put on it. With that now struck down, they just pushed through a very vague "suitability" law that the police chiefs can now use. The 3 year license will let them "check" on people more often, even though they are notified if you have committed a crime. At that point they can suspend or revoke the license. I have read that even the chiefs are scratching their heads with this nonsense they are about to push through.
i forgot where you are from, i think i wanted a MA non-resident ccw, but it's only good for 1 year at a time..???

I constantly toy with holsters but more so deal with comfort or physique challenges, IWB, AIWB, SOTB and end up OWB, for that I prefer active level 2 retention. I’d like to eventually try out a shoulder carry, but really dislike the two arm loop method.

Aside from driving, has anyone one used Small of the Back with comfort success?
Is there any logic for a R hander to go with a LH holster for this sort of carry as a reach back holster canted to grab with the right hand vs. a dedicated RH horizontal draw.

Finding a LGS with a good supply is tough, and it’s not like trying on shoes or pants. Getting a new holster to try out at home or waiting for an online purchase to arrive is another hurdle that ends me up at the return counter or ups store to return.

We’re from the government and we want to help. Welcome to the CC registry.

IL has a 5 yr CC renewal in addition to the Firearms Owner registry, and in certain areas limitations with additional taxation on related firearm products. I think in time the renewal process with become annually along with more stringent rules, if not just for revenue but as a purchase deterrent to ownership. Trends always follow California.

I constantly toy with holsters but more so deal with comfort or physique challenges, IWB, AIWB, SOTB and end up OWB, for that I prefer active level 2 retention. I’d like to eventually try out a shoulder carry, but really dislike the two arm loop method.

Aside from driving, has anyone one used Small of the Back with comfort success?
Is there any logic for a R hander to go with a LH holster for this sort of carry as a reach back holster canted to grab with the right hand vs. a dedicated RH horizontal draw.

Finding a LGS with a good supply is tough, and it’s not like trying on shoes or pants. Getting a new holster to try out at home or waiting for an online purchase to arrive is another hurdle that ends me up at the return counter or ups store to return.

We’re from the government and we want to help. Welcome to the CC registry.

IL has a 5 yr CC renewal in addition to the Firearms Owner registry, and in certain areas limitations with additional taxation on related firearm products. I think in time the renewal process with become annually along with more stringent rules, if not just for revenue but as a purchase deterrent to ownership. Trends always follow California.
Small of back carry is bad for one main reason . That being that if you are ever knocked down , or just fall , and you land on your back , that firearm will transfer a lot of pain to your spine.

Concerning shoulder holster carry Back in the early to mid 70's , I carried a Ruger Security-Six in one of these 8 hours a day while out in the field training bird dogs and while hunting. --> https://www.amazon.com/Bianchi-X15-...ianchi+shoulder+holster&qid=1659803270&sr=8-2

At the end of the day my neck and shoulder muscles were hurting . I now own a Galco harness system and love it . It is much more comfortable then the Bianchi X-15 was.

Congrats.

Definitely, as the meme implies, when you first start, it won't be comfortable. You will notice every step you take. You will be constantly adjusting you belt line and/or your shirt. You will feel like every single person knows you are carrying. They don't. And you will eventually get over all of this.

I see a lot of people making recommendations but I didn't really notice anyone asking you questions.

I have a few.

What gun do you plan on carrying?
What position (appendix, 3 o'clock, crossdraw, small of back) do you plan on trying first?
IWB or OWB?
Also, what's your body type like? Are you a bean pole, or do you heave a considerable amount of tactical girth.

Another thing to keep in mind is you are going to need a good belt. I mean, a good belt. Preferable a gun belt. I stared with a cheap belt when I started carrying and I hated it. I then upgraded to good leather belts by Dickies and Carhart. Definitely an improvement. About a year ago I bought my first gun belt, and it was a HUGE improvement. I would really look into one. I grabbed mine off of crossbreed second for a great price.

I see you are in Illinois, so probably similar climate to me. Right now you probably have warm weather, so you are probably wearing light layers, maybe just a t-shirt? Probably need a small, thin, IWB holster for that. Personally, I would recommend strong side carry about the 3 or 4 o'clock position to start with.

For IWB, I have two preferences, depending on what I am doing and how long I plan on being out for the day.

For a quick trip, I like just a simple kydex/plastic, single clip type holster.

Now, overall, I feel OWB is more comfortable, especially depending on your build, what gun you are carrying, and what you are wearing. I feel OWB can be a little harder to conceal, as with IWB at least half of the gun/holster is hiding in your pants , so you are only dealing with hiding the top half. But with OWB, you have to hide the whole thing. Not too big of a deal, but something to consider.

SO, for IWB I suggest something like this (single clip kydex)
dView attachment 29670

Or this, dual clip hybrid for a lighter gun

deView attachment 29671
i
Or the gun is heavier, something that spreads the weight a little more
i
View attachment 29672

Now, for IWB, I have had one these Outlaw holsters, all kydex. IT's a belt slide, which I prefer for OWB

View attachment 29673
Or, I just got this for my Hellcat Pro. I haven't used it yet but it seems nice and I think I will like it

View attachment 29674

Of course, there are leather options as well. They tend to cost more. As some have mentioned, Versaycarry are good options. I haven't tried one, but I have a few of their mag carriers. If you sing up for their emails/texts, you will get notified of sales with GREAT pricing.

If you are a Prime member, you can find some good options for all types on Amazon
To answer your post the best I can, I plan on starting with a single clip holster for either AIWB or IWB strong side.
The two firearms I plan on using are a Springfield MOD-2 Compact 9mm with 13/16 capacity and a Smith&Wesson model 36 pocket carry for a walk in the neighborhood.
Thanks to everyone for their responses...

thumbnail (6).jpg

thumbnail (7).jpg

To answer your post the best I can, I plan on starting with a single clip holster for either AIWB or IWB strong side.
The two firearms I plan on using are a Springfield MOD-2 Compact 9mm with 13/16 capacity and a Smith&Wesson model 36 pocket carry for a walk in the neighborhood.

View attachment 29682

View attachment 29683

I have never carried revolver so I can't speak on that.

As far as the XD, that's starting to get up there, weight wise, for carry with a single clip holster, for my preference. You could try a We The People, I have heard good things. I ordered a N8 Tactical for my Hellcat Pro, but I haven't' gotten it yet, let alone used it, so I don't want to recommend it without any personal experience. I prefer holsters that distribute weight pretty well, so I would be tempted to go with something like this if you want to go single clip.

A simple single clip, all kydex will work, I just don't think it would be as comfortable for an all day carry situation. Thousands/millions (?) of people do it, though. I have just gotten to the point I really try to be as comfortable as possible when carrying.

Again, I really recommend a good, gun belt.
You can get a good carry belt on Crossbreed-seconds for a good price. Last I looked they had a brown on, size 36, for $10. I have a black one from there that is my go to carry belt.

If cost isn't an issue, there are lots of good gun belts on the market to choose from

Attachments

• Freedom carry.JPG
    Freedom carry.JPG
    244.8 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

View attachment 29682

View attachment 29683
Oh man every time I see a picture of that revolver it brings back memories.
DCFAD5A8-526F-4349-82FF-0044CE3941DC.jpeg

My very first handgun, inherited/found after my dads passing. Lived in Connecticut at the time and knew nothing about guns, went with a friend to an outdoor range with some
38Sp +p after a few rounds my friend asked me what I was shooting? When I told him he said probably not a good idea through an older gun. The gun sat cleaned but unused for years until I moved to Texas where I found regular 38Sp. I put maybe 100 rounds through it but had Springfield handguns at the time so again it was cleaned and shelved to a bedside gun.
Officially retired a year ago after finding small stress cracks in the frame.
Still holds a special part in my collection.

yeah, it's been a long time since i read up on the MA non-resident application. at the very least, a person only has to go once in person for the first time.

i think it's a PITA to go thru this malarkey, renewing every year.
...and that's exactly why they have it this way to discourage you from doing it.

...and that's exactly why they have it this way to discourage you from doing it.
well, in my state especially, we will never see "reciprocity".......

maybe it'll come some day on the federal level, but the states can make laws tougher than the feds, to still disallow that.

Back