testtest

First Look: Springfield 1911 DS Prodigy 9mm

You can buy a box of Sellior and Belliot 230 gr. for less than you can buy a box of 124 gr WWB.

Around here a lot of youse guys talk about what crappy ammo WWB is, but it's twice as expensive as Blazer Brass.
I buy reman cheap stuff for the range. HD ammo i have is the good stuff.
One thing i can say is that my guns run without hiccups on bargain basement, bottom of the barrel ammo. Hahahaha.

I buy reman cheap stuff for the range. HD ammo i have is the good stuff.
One thing i can say is that my guns run without hiccups on bargain basement, bottom of the barrel ammo. Hahahaha.

Well, based largely on conversations I've had here, I disobeyed my own long standing rule about ammo in automatics. Many hundreds of thousands of years ago when I got my first semi auto pistol that I actually bought with my own money ( Russian Makarov .380 ) I made the mistake of buying a box of factory reloaded ammo, trying to save some money. First mag I got a squib and ended up back at the store very pissed off. They got the bullet out of my barrel and gave me a box of regular, non reloaded, ammo. I swore to never use it or any cheap crap in an auto. Fast forward to about a year ago when someone ( I forget who) gave me a couple boxes of this ( 9mm) Silver Bear cheap ass Russian steel crap in some weird weight. Like 145 gr, I inquired about here and was told that many people here had used it with no problem. It sat unused in an ammo can for several months. Well a couple weeks ago I managed to talk @SimonRL out of an HK P30L that he was convinced had been possessed by satan or something. Took it to the range and though, " Eh, what the heck, let's see how this cheap Russian crap shoots". I loaded about 7 rounds in a magazine. First shot went off, second shot, CLICK. Pulled the trigger again, CLICK. Dropped the mag, tried to rack the slide, nothing doing. After about 5 panicked minutes of trying I finally get the slide off and stuck in the chamber is a steel 9mm case who's primer had been beaten by multiple hammer strikes. At that point, in my panicked state, I wasn't sure if this was a live round or an empty case. In my infinite wisdom I had left my range bag at home, as I just intended to function test this new handgun with a box or two. So I have nothing on me or in my truck to pry this god damn casing out of my chamber. Frantically I searched through the range shack with all the targets and stands and what not and found a pair of scissors. Which I used to pry the spent shell casing out of the chamber. Thankfully I did no damage and immediately I put a couple boxes of Blazer Brass 124 through it and it shot very well.

So. No more cheap, crappy ammo or reloads in any of my autos. Life is way too short to shoot BS ammo.

Well, based largely on conversations I've had here, I disobeyed my own long standing rule about ammo in automatics. Many hundreds of thousands of years ago when I got my first semi auto pistol that I actually bought with my own money ( Russian Makarov .380 ) I made the mistake of buying a box of factory reloaded ammo, trying to save some money. First mag I got a squib and ended up back at the store very pissed off. They got the bullet out of my barrel and gave me a box of regular, non reloaded, ammo. I swore to never use it or any cheap crap in an auto. Fast forward to about a year ago when someone ( I forget who) gave me a couple boxes of this ( 9mm) Silver Bear cheap ass Russian steel crap in some weird weight. Like 145 gr, I inquired about here and was told that many people here had used it with no problem. It sat unused in an ammo can for several months. Well a couple weeks ago I managed to talk @SimonRL out of an HK P30L that he was convinced had been possessed by satan or something. Took it to the range and though, " Eh, what the heck, let's see how this cheap Russian crap shoots". I loaded about 7 rounds in a magazine. First shot went off, second shot, CLICK. Pulled the trigger again, CLICK. Dropped the mag, tried to rack the slide, nothing doing. After about 5 panicked minutes of trying I finally get the slide off and stuck in the chamber is a steel 9mm case who's primer had been beaten by multiple hammer strikes. At that point, in my panicked state, I wasn't sure if this was a live round or an empty case. In my infinite wisdom I had left my range bag at home, as I just intended to function test this new handgun with a box or two. So I have nothing on me or in my truck to pry this god damn casing out of my chamber. Frantically I searched through the range shack with all the targets and stands and what not and found a pair of scissors. Which I used to pry the spent shell casing out of the chamber. Thankfully I did no damage and immediately I put a couple boxes of Blazer Brass 124 through it and it shot very well.

So. No more cheap, crappy ammo or reloads in any of my autos. Life is way too short to shoot BS ammo.
I don’t shoot steel case. Brass only. Haven’t had a problem yet. I will bring the salt and pepper for the crow if i have to eat it should something go wrong.

I don’t shoot steel case. Brass only. Haven’t had a problem yet. I will bring the salt and pepper for the crow if i have to eat it should something go wrong.
Plenty of guys here shoot reloads. Usually their own. My rules are just for me and don't necessarily apply to anyone else Mike. I told the story of the 2 times I tried to cheap out on ammo in the above post. I missed one other time though. My son in law has a buddy who reloads 9mm and my Son in law decided to do me a favor and give me a couple hundred rounds of them. This was a couple years ago. So I went to the range with my Q5, which at the time was my first and only 9mm. Very first mag I had a failure to fire. Probably a bad primer, I don't know. I immediately unloaded the mag, put the shells back in the bag and gave them back to my son in law. So in my personal experience I have tried to cheap out 3 times and all 3 times were a failure. So I won't be doing that again. Blazer Brass is coming in around $15/box right now and PMC Bronze is pretty affordable. I'm also sitting on a bunch of WWB and some WWB 124 NATO. So I'm good with that.

Plenty of guys here shoot reloads. Usually their own. My rules are just for me and don't necessarily apply to anyone else Mike. I told the story of the 2 times I tried to cheap out on ammo in the above post. I missed one other time though. My son in law has a buddy who reloads 9mm and my Son in law decided to do me a favor and give me a couple hundred rounds of them. This was a couple years ago. So I went to the range with my Q5, which at the time was my first and only 9mm. Very first mag I had a failure to fire. Probably a bad primer, I don't know. I immediately unloaded the mag, put the shells back in the bag and gave them back to my son in law. So in my personal experience I have tried to cheap out 3 times and all 3 times were a failure. So I won't be doing that again. Blazer Brass is coming in around $15/box right now and PMC Bronze is pretty affordable. I'm also sitting on a bunch of WWB and some WWB 124 NATO. So I'm good with that.
I buy from Freedom Munitions/LAX (sister companies) and 2A warehouse. I get a bad primer every 500 rounds or so but thats about it. Haven’t had a squib or anything of that sort. If the wheels fall off the cart i’ll change my habits.

Anybody know what the width is across the grip and butt?

I'm wondering how concealable the 4.25" one is, compared to a Wilson Combat SFX9.

Maybe nobody knows this yet. Related question. What magazines does it use?

From a video review I watched, it looks like it uses standard 2011 magazines? Like, the same mags that you'd use in a Staccato double stack. Confirmation on that?

If it uses standard 2011 mags, then I'll assume the grip is equally bulky to a Staccato 9mm double stack.

I bought some jag brass that came primed at a good deal? No wonder it was a deal, most of the primers were crap! Lots of no fires! I saved the cartridges and tried them in other guns and still no bang. I have no idea what primers that company uses, but will never buy primed cases or from that manufacturer again. Jag has weak brass as I've had many case separations.

I got my 5“ today. When it isn’t jamming, it’s a fantastic gun.

The 20 rd. magazine was better…but with the 17 I was having problems with almost every shot, and moreso in the earlier shots from the mag. They were half-loading up the ramp and the slide was staying partially open. I had to rack in between almost every shot.

The 20 rd. magazine was better…but with the 17 I was having problems with almost every shot, and moreso in the earlier shots from the mag. They were half-loading up the ramp and the slide was staying partially open. I had to rack in between almost every shot.
Did you have issues with the 20 round mag?

I wonder if it's a mag issue.

I bought both 4.25 & 5 inch models w/o optic. I took them to the range today and was greatly disappointed. First few rounds out of them felt great, then I had nothing but feed and magazine issues. I shot 250+ rounds out of both, I shot Remington, Federal, Winchester, Sig Elite, Sperry Gold Dot - 115g, 124g, 147g standard and +P, FMJ and JHP and it just did not matter. Out of the 500 rds through both, I had well over 150 fail to feeds. I also had the follower in the magazines get stuck half way and literally could turn the magazine over and rounds fall out. Felt like I was shooting a 22LR with rounds nose diving in the magazine but that was with both the 17 & 20 round mags. Took both back to the LGS and their gunsmith looked at them both and the videos I took showing the issues. They took the magazines apart and the follower was getting jammed in the mag tube, the mag spring was not very strong. The cleaned up the followers so they do not catch now in the mag tube but no change to be honest. I have sent Springfield 2 emails and waiting reply and the LGS is calling them on Tuesday after this holiday weekend to see what can be done to fix this problem. The 4.25 refuses to feed JHP out of any magazine I use, I can rack one in and FTF the next round every time. So for now they are expensive paper weights as I can not trust either one to run if I need it to. Biggest disappointment I have ever had with new out of the box firearms. I was so made I told them take them back and give me the Sig 229 Legion and X-Macro, I know they will run and be dependable. Amazing how all the "Gun Tubers" guns run flawlessly and you get one and issue after issue. Springfield has one chance to make things right or they are gone!

Here I was going to talk about how although the grip was MUCH larger than expected, it was still extraordinarily comfortable to me (I fondled one at an LGS today). Sorry and good luck to everyone with the feeding issues.

Back