testtest

First Look: Springfield 1911 DS Prodigy 9mm

Save the snark. You know full well that there are droves of X5Ls in the gun games and the Sig Max Michel is an X5Legion without a front sight and a Romeo3 strapped to it.

I was only digging you on "I will put my stock X5 Legion, with a DPP, up against just about anything. The Canik hasn’t been made that can outperform it."

Since a Canik won Limited Nationals recently - and an even better Canik is out now.

Seems to me that maybe a Canik HAS been made that can outperform a stock X5 Legion... :D Just basing that guess on the objective data that is available...

I think guns are like cars. Most people love their cars regardless of what it is. Although there are some guns that I definitely don’t love - looking at you Shadow Systems DR920 Elite - there are others I am unflinchingly committed to and my X5 Legion is one. Same with my Archon Type B. God knows that company’s customer service gave Archon owners enough reasons to turn their backs, but the gun is so frickin’ good. As long as it doesn’t break down!

I was only digging you on "I will put my stock X5 Legion, with a DPP, up against just about anything. The Canik hasn’t been made that can outperform it."

Since a Canik won Limited Nationals recently - and an even better Canik is out now.

Seems to me that maybe a Canik HAS been made that can outperform a stock X5 Legion... :D Just basing that guess on the objective data that is available...
All good Stuart. If you’ll excuse me I’m going to go home and give my X5L hugs before you give it a complex.

So not to add fuel, to fire or friendly board banter… :)
I believe some people just have the ability to shoot anything and do it well.
I was deep into Archery prior to getting deep into pistols..and there are several top name pros that switch companies. Usually…it’s follow the money. But, you could put a stick and string in their hands and they’d probably outshoot you. The pros that are at the top of the game, you could probably put about any functional pistol in their hands and they’d do just fine…

So not to add fuel, to fire or friendly board banter… :)
I believe some people just have the ability to shoot anything and do it well.
I was deep into Archery prior to getting deep into pistols..and there are several top name pros that switch companies. Usually…it’s follow the money. But, you could put a stick and string in their hands and they’d probably outshoot you. The pros that are at the top of the game, you could probably put about any functional pistol in their hands and they’d do just fine…

I think that is totally true - when you are talking about average people, or a pro versus average people.

When you are talking about, say, the top 10 pros in a given sport, then I think it is pretty rare that any one of those 10 could consistently beat the other 9 with the equivalent of "a stick and string". :) It does happen from time to time.

At his peak, Valentino Rossi probably qualified as that good. There was a few years where Matt Mladin was in that same category. Maybe Nils Jonasson is THAT good. Maybe. Or maybe with a lesser gun he would have still finished well, but not AS well as he has consistently done.

I am inclined to think that, if the X5 Legion was as good as the Rival, there would at least have been one in the top 10 at Limited Nationals or some other comparable competition. Or, at least, that's what I'm going to claim in order to mess with Simon... LOL ;) I need SOMETHING to do while I'm waiting for my Rival-S to come in...

;) I need SOMETHING to do while I'm waiting for my Rival-S to come in...
So…what I‘m reading is…continue posting Pro Rival S comments, include pictures, targets and stories.. got it. Check. LOL. Stuart, mounting an optic….make sure you use the right screws. That was my biggest challenge. I “misplaced” the right ones, use ones that came with the sight and I knew they were a little short. Didn’t have a problem with hundreds of rounds, but… it was in the back of my mind. I found, via cleaning my work area, the right ones. Sigh of relief I tell ya. I know you’ll enjoy yours as much as I have mine.
0F267B22-BE41-45F9-A8C8-93FEC94DBF7D.jpeg

So…what I‘m reading is…continue posting Pro Rival S comments, include pictures, targets and stories.. got it. Check. LOL. Stuart, mounting an optic….make sure you use the right screws. That was my biggest challenge. I “misplaced” the right ones, use ones that came with the sight and I knew they were a little short. Didn’t have a problem with hundreds of rounds, but… it was in the back of my mind. I found, via cleaning my work area, the right ones. Sigh of relief I tell ya. I know you’ll enjoy yours as much as I have mine.

No worries. I have a Rival with an FTP Alpha 3 (10 MOA) on it that I have been shooting in USPSA CO.

I already have another FTP A3 to go on the Rival-S. And I have a big box of screws in a few different sizes and lengths for mounting optics. I think the FTP came with screws and I bought the separate box of screws for mounting a different optic on a Dagger I bought. Regardless, I should have whatever I need. I just need my gunsmith to get to the top spot on his distributor's list, to get the actual Rival-S.

Once it comes, then the next waiting game - for a Canik Mete MC9 - starts.

I never owned anything but 1911s for about 30 years. I could not stand the triggers on any other types of semi-autos. But, the Caniks have really won me over. Still not a 1911 trigger. But, SO close! And cheap and easy to tune to make even closer. And inexpensive, reliable, great ergos (starting with the first Mete), high capacity, and reliable high capacity mags that work in all their smaller guns.

I kinda doubt I'll ever buy another 1911. Once I get the MC9 for EDC, I probably won't even (hardly) shoot my 1911s anymore, other than just shooting them for the sake of shooting them (versus a purpose, like EDC or matches).

No disrespect to anyone, but I believe this thread is for the Prodigy. Maybe we can get back on track. I know that’s why I am following it. But the last 2 pages have been about Sig and Canik. Might need to unsubscribe.

Apologies. It just seemed like the Prodigy stuff kinda petered out. I mean, what else is there to say about the Prodigy other than comparing it to other similar guns (i.e. high capacity, full size 9mms)?

I think it was a reasonable request. I'd rather hear about the Prodigy in this thread than Canik or Sig. Mentioning other options is fine, but a couple pages worth is a bit much. Just my .02

Probably also doesn't help that we have several different Prodigy threads going.

Keeping up with the Prodigy’s…
Now it’s time to tinker. Ordered up an EGW ignition kit, an additional 17lb main spring (kit comes with 19) and an ISMI Flat wound recoil spring 12#. I’ve always liked the quality of ISMI.

Gonna see how good I can get the trigger to feel/break. I’m shooting for a 2 to 2.5 lb trigger. Currently at just over 3 or so, I think the action, break and wall could be a tad cleaner.

Back