testtest

First Look: Springfield 1911 DS Prodigy 9mm

@ Hamman...I don't know if it's just that everyone is watching movies too much and just wants to be cool and flip the slide release to let the slide go forward and load the next round or what.
The proper way to load a round is to grab the slide, pull it back, and release it or slingshot it. Most manufacturers recommend this method. It doesn't look as cool but it's the right way to do it.
The position of the slide release on the Prodigy is in the same location as it is on any 1911 or 2011 pistol regardless who makes it.
I suggest you release the slide the time tested manufacturer recommended way, and slingshot it. If you can make it work and use your grip hand's thumb fine, or you can use your other hand and flip the release when you resume your two handed grip.
If you choose your pistol by the position of the slide release you'll find that they're all in basically the same location.
Release the slide by slingshotting it and your problem will be solved.
Thank you for the remark I am always open to suggestions. I guess I am spoiled with my other 9’s. I just felt uncomfortable.

Thank you for the remark I am always open to suggestions. I guess I am spoiled with my other 9’s. I just felt uncomfortable.
Just to reiterate and confirm, your situation isn’t an outlier. I wear XL gloves and I don’t own a 1911 - including my Prodigy that I don’t have to shift my grip to hit the mag release or the slide lock. But it doesn’t slow me down, you just have to adapt your technique. FWIW, I rarely slingshot my 1911s.

I did this to mine. I had this done by DSC.

Thank you very much. Will be using this service. Now for a remedy of powder burn on the Streamlight.

I am working through issues with recoil anticipation and/or pre-ignition push, which has plagued me since I transitioned to polymer striker fired pistols. I never had this problem with my 1911s. Makes me want to transition back to a hammer fired pistol like the Prodigy or P226 Legion. They both have crisp triggers.

I am working through issues with recoil anticipation and/or pre-ignition push, which has plagued me since I transitioned to polymer striker fired pistols. I never had this problem with my 1911s. Makes me want to transition back to a hammer fired pistol like the Prodigy or P226 Legion. They both have crisp triggers.
I personally like the Prodigy trigger over the 226 SAO Legion. Funny enough , I've got exact opposite accuracy problem between these two: breaking wrist up with Prodigy, and down with P226... Neither one is a bad, just noticeable and interesting.

I personally like the Prodigy trigger over the 226 SAO Legion. Funny enough , I've got exact opposite accuracy problem between these two: breaking wrist up with Prodigy, and down with P226... Neither one is a bad, just noticeable and interesting.
My misses are always low center on the first round out of the mag, all others are on target. What causes your wrist up?

My 226 Legion SAO RXP and my Prodigy are a dead heat. Yes the triggers are different but both are missile launchers. The thing that gives my Legion the edge - it has never choked on any round I’ve put through it. The Prodigy has rounds (JHPs) it definitely does not like. Hitting a bull offhand twice at 47yds with my Legion didn’t hurt either. I haven’t done that with my Prodigy yet. Yet.

My 226 Legion SAO RXP and my Prodigy are a dead heat. Yes the triggers are different but both are missile launchers. The thing that gives my Legion the edge - it has never choked on any round I’ve put through it. The Prodigy has rounds (JHPs) it definitely does not like. Hitting a bull offhand twice at 47yds with my Legion didn’t hurt either. I haven’t done that with my Prodigy yet. Yet.
What are your thoughts on the SIG P226 Legion DA/SA model?

That is a very good point that you're making about the P226, I have never had any issues with anything I threw at it either, including some supposedly lower quality ammo. RXP came after I bought mine sadly, so I'd have to change the slide :(

My Prodigy at first was very temperamental, on par or a little worse with the M&P Performance Center, but now I think I might have passed the break-in period. It's definitely shooting 100% with the training round, so now I'm slowly moving back to testing JHP and MHP...

I never had a need for a break-in period with any of my SIG pistols (apart from the P365-380), the P226 SAO was flawless from the first round on.

My misses are always low center on the first round out of the mag, all others are on target. What causes your wrist up?
I think it's my grip, bad habit from M18... That's how I corrected it for P226, but now it's going up too much on the Prodigy, could be the frame that is different. I don't have the issue with my S&W Performance Center, so it's got to be something I'm over correcting. But it's very repeatable and very tight groups, so there is hope :)

I think it's my grip, bad habit from M18... That's how I corrected it for P226, but now it's going up too much on the Prodigy, could be the frame that is different. I don't have the issue with my S&W Performance Center, so it's got to be something I'm over correcting. But it's very repeatable and very tight groups, so there is hope :)
What size Prodigy is yours? Mine is 5in and I think is pretty nose heavy. I have a tendency to let it drop a bit.

What size Prodigy is yours? Mine is 5in and I think is pretty nose heavy. I have a tendency to let it drop a bit.
4.25", that might be why too. BTW, just came back from putting 200 rounds with the Prodigy (and the P226, this discussion got me going :) ). Prodigy is now flawless, and we can add norma NXD and MHP to the list of what it will accept no problem, with 17-round and 20-round mags... BUT, like others have mentioned before, my front sight fiber optics is loose... Not broken or gone, but clearly will fly off at the next use.

4.25", that might be why too. BTW, just came back from putting 200 rounds with the Prodigy (and the P226, this discussion got me going :) ). Prodigy is now flawless, and we can add norma NXD and MHP to the list of what it will accept no problem, with 17-round and 20-round mags... BUT, like others have mentioned before, my front sight fiber optics is loose... Not broken or gone, but clearly will fly off at the next use.
Funny enough, I just replaced my optic rod yesterday. I’ve settled on Federal HST with mine.

Last edited:
Funny enough, I just replaced my optic rod yesterday. I’ve settled on Federal HST with mine.
Ah! Did you get SA to send you new ones? I'm looking at Amazon, 0.06" is what seems to be on the Prodigy, from Truglo for $20, but it's a huge quantity 5" long and some red, some amber some green... Red might actually work out, always looking to be different ;)

Back