testtest

First Look: Springfield 1911 DS Prodigy 9mm

Got to the range today and put 50 rds of FMJ and 45 rds of HP through it. This is the first time I’ve got defensive rounds to run trouble free. I used 135gr Federal HST and 115 gr Hornady Critical Defense. I did have a small hiccup though. I mounted a Vortex Viper and it wasn’t until I got to the range that I realized that there are two set screws on the end of the red dot that you have to “unlock” in order to manipulate the elevation and windage screws. Well guess what happens when you install the dot on a plate that has the rear sight on it? So I had to take the dot off the gun and unlock the locking screws and screw the dot back on with the stupid T10 key that comes with the dot and then I realize the battery fell out the bottom and do it all again. So whatever blue loctite I put on the screws is fried and now I have no way of locking the set screws and I don’t know if the zero will drift as it gets used. Now the good news - with the Viper zeroed the Prodigy was ridiculously accurate. Easily as much so as my 226 Legion, which is as high a praise as I can lavish on a gun. I cleaned it and lubed it this week. It has 630 rounds through it and I’ve cleaned it at least 3 times after the initial clean. I’ve been using TW25 grease on the rails and this gun likes lube. The red dot had no impact on the slide reciprocating and the gun did not feel the least bit sluggish. I’m going to leave the 12lb recoil spring in. I’m ready to declare this gun a Monster! I’m seriously thinking about picking up the 4.25 in version as well.

You don't need LocTite bro. You need a torque driver, that's it. I have a Venom on a Walther with somewhere north of 1k rounds through it and no Loc-Tite and it's still dead nuts.

I'm glad to hear it liked the HST. That's good stuff Simon.

You don't need LocTite bro. You need a torque driver, that's it. I have a Venom on a Walther with somewhere north of 1k rounds through it and no Loc-Tite and it's still dead nuts.

I'm glad to hear it liked the HST. That's good stuff Simon.
Bro I’ve installed more Red Dots than you’ve had hot dinners. 😎😇 I use both, it works for me.

Thanks for the recommendation on the HST, it ran really well

I’ll probably stop checking in after this as it’s starting to get repetitive - in a good way. Ran another 120 rounds through the Prodigy today after I sorted out the Vortex Viper. I’m now up to 750rds and this gun feels every bit the gun that people were expecting. With a red dot installed it is like a hand-held HIMARS. In fact I was shooting at 25 yds and hit two ammo dumps inside Russian territory. Can’t say enough good about the Prodigy. When I shoot it, it feels like it was made for me. Very happy.

I’ll probably stop checking in after this as it’s starting to get repetitive - in a good way. Ran another 120 rounds through the Prodigy today after I sorted out the Vortex Viper. I’m now up to 750rds and this gun feels every bit the gun that people were expecting. With a red dot installed it is like a hand-held HIMARS. In fact I was shooting at 25 yds and hit two ammo dumps inside Russian territory. Can’t say enough good about the Prodigy. When I shoot it, it feels like it was made for me. Very happy.
I just got my Vortex Viper screws in yesterday to fit the Prodigy.
How'd you like the Viper vs other Red Dots?

I just got my Vortex Viper screws in yesterday to fit the Prodigy.
How'd you like the Viper vs other Red Dots?
For what I paid I’m not going to complain, but it’s a pain on anything with a rear sight. Also, no shake awake. The cheapest Amazon Chinese knock-off sights have have shake awake these days. I do like the shape of of it and it doesn’t look out of place on the Prodigy. And most importantly…It Will Keel.

While they aren't my first choice for red dots, I have numerous other optics from Vortex and have been happy with them. And I have never heard a bad thing about their customer service. It's also a testament to their products that I've never needed to use their customer service, either.

While they aren't my first choice for red dots, I have numerous other optics from Vortex and have been happy with them. And I have never heard a bad thing about their customer service. It's also a testament to their products that I've never needed to use their customer service, either.

They are making the best budget/mid-priced scopes these days.

The only issue I have with their dots is no shake awake.

Back