testtest

First Look: Springfield 1911 DS Prodigy 9mm

Also I handled a Prodigy at my LGS I snapped the safety on and off a couple times, racked the slide pulled the trigger, racked the slide snapped the safety on and it stuck in the halfway position and wouldn't budge and no other part would either. Since my Emissary had to return to the factory 3x to get it to run this most recent experience and some of the documented Prodigy experiences is scaring me away from Springfield. I don't want to spend $1500 on a pistol and hope that it works. I'll save up for a Staccato instead.

Does anyone know what makes a double stack 1911 a 2011?
The answer is in the question. A 2011 is a double-stack 1911.
Also I handled a Prodigy at my LGS I snapped the safety on and off a couple times, racked the slide pulled the trigger, racked the slide snapped the safety on and it stuck in the halfway position and wouldn't budge and no other part would either. Since my Emissary had to return to the factory 3x to get it to run this most recent experience and some of the documented Prodigy experiences is scaring me away from Springfield. I don't want to spend $1500 on a pistol and hope that it works. I'll save up for a Staccato instead.
I'd suggest doing a little more homework, and specifically reading through this entire thread. There's a lot of valuable info on here about how much the supposed "issues" with the Prodigy are actually issues. In short, while there have been some people having real issues, there is also lot of BS that has been the result of clueless operators and GunTubers creating clickbait, IMHO.

You handled a Prodigy in a store which may have been completely dry (unlubricated), which could have caused hangup. These are tight tolerance guns, not P320s or Glocks. And if you were handling the 5" version in particular, some have reported that the recoil spring may be a bit on the weak side, and therefore can hang up on the disconnector, esp when new and not broken in yet. Recoil spring swap = easy and cheap solution. I have not really heard of any issues with the Prodigy Commander model.

And don't take this the wrong way, but if you're unclear on what a 2011 is, I wouldn't recommend running out and buying a Staccato. Spend a little more time learning first.

Last edited:
If JMB wanted you to shoot a 9mm 1911, that is the reason he designed a Hi Power
🤪🫣🙃😎
F58D3BB3-988E-4731-8FD8-7861A9D0EBA7.gif

And some lube
…on the lube topic! :LOL:

I was using Hoppes on my Prodigy and switched to Clenzoil after a couple people recommended trying it.

Definitely slides much smoother and keeps it MUCH cleaner.

I'm honestly wondering if some of these GunTubers are running theirs dry either on purpose or because they don't know any better. Pretty sure 1911's in general do not like being run dry.

I'm honestly wondering if some of these GunTubers are running theirs dry either on purpose or because they don't know any better. Pretty sure 1911's in general do not like being run dry.
I've seen several so-called "reviewers" actually state at the beginning of their videos on the Prodigy that they "are taking the gun straight out of the box and not doing anything to it." And then they report a bunch of problems with the slide hanging up, etc. :rolleyes:

Anyone reviewing a 1911/2011 and starting their video with that admission instantly loses credibility with me.

And then there was the guy who posted 5 different videos on "all the problems he was having with his 5" Prodigy" Finally, by the 5th video, he cleaned and properly lubed the gun, said that he polished parts of it (but then admitted this probably wasn't necessary) and put a stronger recoil spring in it, and what a surprise - he was happy to report that the gun was now running fine.

iu

…on the lube topic! :LOL:

I was using Hoppes on my Prodigy and switched to Clenzoil after a couple people recommended trying it.

Definitely slides much smoother and keeps it MUCH cleaner.

Every mechanical device on earth that is metal on metal requires some sort of lube.
Unless you want premature wear

The answer is in the question. A 2011 is a double-stack 1911.

What you said is correct, but not really the answer to his question. It's no more accurate or useful than if somebody says "what is a Hi-Power" and you responded "it's a single stack semi-automatic pistol."

Is a 2011 a double stack 1911? Yes. But, is every double stack 1911 a 2011? No. Not at all.

A 2011 is a specific design made by STI and copied by others. Is a Para Ordnance P14 a double stack 1911? Yes. Is it a 2011? No.

A 2011 is (among other things) characterized by having a grip/frame that is 2 pieces, where a 1911 (and a Para P14) have a 1 piece grip and frame. A 2011 also has a distinctive square-ish trigger guard, versus the rounded trigger guard on a 1911 (and Para).

Is a Prodigy a 2011? Springfield cannot call it such because of copyright/trademark infringement. But, yes, in my opinion, it is a 2011. It has all the relevant characteristics of a 2011, including using actual 2011 magazines.

What you said is correct, but not really the answer to his question. It's no more accurate or useful than if somebody says "what is a Hi-Power" and you responded "it's a single stack semi-automatic pistol."

Is a 2011 a double stack 1911? Yes. But, is every double stack 1911 a 2011? No. Not at all.

A 2011 is a specific design made by STI and copied by others. Is a Para Ordnance P14 a double stack 1911? Yes. Is it a 2011? No.

A 2011 is (among other things) characterized by having a grip/frame that is 2 pieces, where a 1911 (and a Para P14) have a 1 piece grip and frame. A 2011 also has a distinctive square-ish trigger guard, versus the rounded trigger guard on a 1911 (and Para).

Is a Prodigy a 2011? Springfield cannot call it such because of copyright/trademark infringement. But, yes, in my opinion, it is a 2011. It has all the relevant characteristics of a 2011, including using actual 2011 magazines.
Yes, I'm well aware of the Staccato trademark on the phrase, and I'm also aware that as such, Springfield can't call the Prodigy a "2011."

But I don't know of anyone other than Staccato nerds who insist that we can't call any other double-stack a "2011" in normal conversation. Everyone I know refers to all double-stack 1911s, regardless of manufacturer, as "2011s." Honest Outlaw's video above is indicative of this - he's not just referring to Staccato in that vid, he's referring to all double-stack 1911s.

So forgive my lack of regard for Staccato's trademark, but I don't really care.

:rolleyes:

Yes, I'm well aware of the Staccato trademark on the phrase, and I'm also aware that as such, Springfield can't call the Prodigy a "2011."

But I don't know of anyone other than Staccato nerds who insist that we can't call any other double-stack a "2011" in normal conversation. Everyone I know refers to all double-stack 1911s, regardless of manufacturer, as "2011s." Honest Outlaw's video above is indicative of this - he's not just referring to Staccato in that vid, he's referring to all double-stack 1911s.

So forgive my lack of regard for Staccato's trademark, but I don't really care.

:rolleyes:

The person you were responding to said this:

I'm not sure what a 2011 is, is a double stack Para ordnance P-14 a 2011 I've never had a problem with it since I bought it in 1993 Does anyone know what makes a double stack 1911 a 2011? I'm ignorant.

Do you not get how your initial response didn't really answer his question?

Obviously, what is a "2011" depends a lot on the context. Sometimes, 2011 means any double stack 1911. Sometimes, it means any of them that have a 2-piece grip/frame and use 2011 mags. Sometimes, it means an actual pistol (frame) from STI.

Do you think your original response helped the person who asked to understand that?

Back