testtest

First Look: Springfield 1911 DS Prodigy 9mm

Update time!

I got my Prodigy 5" back today from SA.
The trigger was previously 5lbs (which felt a bit heavy) and the tune up they gave to it made it around 3lbs now which I am a huge fan of! Feels much better.

I can see that the ramp is smoother than before based off pictures I took before it went out. Less of an edge where it feeds into the barrel.

For all the other stuff that was done, I'll have to see how it runs this weekend. 7 business days total from sending it out to being at my doorstep. Gotta love SA Customer Service.

Overpriced. SPA has just now arbitrarily got into the game that ARMSCOR did 2 years ago. Skateboard tape around the grip and a couple of milling cuts on the front of the slide doesn't justify the price.

Tell me you don’t know what you’re talking about without saying you don’t know what you’re talking about…

A few differences between the two…

Maybe someone on this forum with the funding, the time, and the resources should put up a Ransom Rest test between the RIA 51679 and the SPA SPRINGFIELD 1911 DS PRODIGY 9MM and then justify the price difference.

Maybe someone on this forum with the funding, the time, and the resources should put up a Ransom Rest test between the RIA 51679 and the SPA SPRINGFIELD 1911 DS PRODIGY 9MM and then justify the price difference.

I had never heard of the RIA Tac Ultra double stack. That looks pretty awesome. And at $899!

But, I don't see any for sale anywhere. Are they available?

Again: Funding, time, and resources.
Funding - I have none. Hence my sticky-ness on prices. Much like a lot of others these days.
Time- I'll make some if it means adding valuable content to this (and other) forums and contributing to the quality of the sidearms that we all either enjoy or rely on.
Resources- Probably same with funding - ransom rests are few and far between any more in my parts. Locally (45 minute drive one way) there are only two ranges that have at the most 25 yard NRA sanctioned ranges. The owners would need to block out time that other users would be paying for.

Maybe SPA would be willing to put a little of the overpriced money where the muzzle is.

That's the other bad thing about trying to compare RIA and SPA...nothing seems to be in stock. The models, even a bit overpriced, that I was trying to purchase (range master, 9mm, stainless) were discontinued yet still advertised for over a year.

That's the other bad thing about trying to compare RIA and SPA...nothing seems to be in stock. The models, even a bit overpriced, that I was trying to purchase (range master, 9mm, stainless) were discontinued yet still advertised for over a year.

It looks to me like the Prodigy is reasonably available. Shooter's Choice, which is just down the street from me, has at least one Prodigy 4.25" in stock in the store right now (at MSRP). I've seen other places with them in stock recently, too.

I don't see anywhere that has the RIA Tac Ultra FS HC in stock, though. Is it still in production? (I could totally believe that it is, and is just sold out everywhere because of that price)

Overpriced. SPA has just now arbitrarily got into the game that ARMSCOR did 2 years ago. Skateboard tape around the grip and a couple of milling cuts on the front of the slide doesn't justify the price.
Well, if you don’t like it then don’t buy it, nobody is twisting your arm, Armscor are made in the Philippines, not in the US, there also cast frames, Springfield is all forged, I have a RIA 1911FS, nice pistol, but it’s no where near a Springfield or Colt, not even close

I'm all eyes and ears to that.
1669182331771.gif

If you’re ever in DFW DM me. I’ll put my Prodigy up against your pig iron boat anchor.

I think you have failed to read (or comprehend) everything he wrote.
Thanks Stuart, perhaps you’d like to break it down for me in language that I’ll be able to comprehend because this seems pretty straightforward.

The TAC Ultra FS HC is not a bad shooter, but quality wise is not in the same class as the Prodigy. I know this because I’ve shot both, but do I go on 1911 Addicts forum talking crap about the RIA saying you get what you pay for? No, but if I did I’d be ready to put my money where my mouth is.

Thanks Stuart, perhaps you’d like to break it down for me in language that I’ll be able to comprehend because this seems pretty straightforward.

The TAC Ultra FS HC is not a bad shooter, but quality wise is not in the same class as the Prodigy. I know this because I’ve shot both, but do I go on 1911 Addicts forum talking crap about the RIA saying you get what you pay for? No, but if I did I’d be ready to put my money where my mouth is.

It seems pretty clear from his posts that he doesn't have one - as you implied when you said this:

If you’re ever in DFW DM me. I’ll put my Prodigy up against your pig iron boat anchor.

Thus why he proposed that some with the time and money should do it. I think he made it pretty clear that he doesn't have the time and money. I don't, either. But, I would definitely be very interested in reading (or watching) something from someone who did have the time and money and did compare them.

If you are not interested in seeing a head-to-head comparison of the two, well... why not??

Back