testtest

First Look: Springfield 1911 DS Prodigy 9mm

So, in other words, "if you don't have the money to buy both guns and do a test yourself, then shut up, Troll!"
I think it’s more a case of coming on Springfield’s forum, slating one of their products and then when people start piling on it’s I don’t have money, resources and - oh yeah, I don’t even own the gun I’m saying is so great. What was the point if it wasn’t to wind people up?

1669229612116.gif

Troll time………

I think this applies to anything in life when comparing similar things: (Similar being the key word)

If you've only ever had hands on experience with one of the items, you cannot possibly compare it to another that you haven't ever touched, let alone used.

You're free to express 'opinions' all day, but they remain opinions.

I have not ever used a RIA pistol, therefore, I will not comment on their quality or reliability vs something I have used, such as the Prodigy.

No, not facts.

There’s some major differences between a widebody 1911 (Armscor, Para-Ord, et al) and a 2011 (STI/Staccato, Prodigy).

But don’t let actual facts intrude on your lack of knowledge.
I own a Para Ordnance P14-45. It is a .45 acp with a fourteen round capacity. The frame and grip is one piece and aluminum. Para’s use a conventional barrel and STI/Stacato’s use a bull barrel. The STI/Stacato uses a two piece frame and can be ordered steel or aluminum. Para built 45 acp, 40 cal and 9mm. I know 45 acp double stacks run much better than 9mm. I have no idea how their 9mm run but in 25 years my Para has never had a feeding Issue. I wish my Prodigy ran like my 25 year old Para. Just my two cents.

I think this applies to anything in life when comparing similar things: (Similar being the key word)

If you've only ever had hands on experience with one of the items, you cannot possibly compare it to another that you haven't ever touched, let alone used.

You're free to express 'opinions' all day, but they remain opinions.

I have not ever used a RIA pistol, therefore, I will not comment on their quality or reliability vs something I have used, such as the Prodigy.

This is absolutely true. It's also why I haven't offered an opinion on ANY SA 1911. Because I have never shot one. I'll tell you what though, based on threads here on this forum I don't think I'd buy one. Especially the Prodigy. Almost everyone has had some sort of issue with it.

Then again, 1911s are finnicky things if you don't bone up and spend 3k on one to begin with. Almost all of mine have had work done to them.

I gotta say my fascination with 1911s has waned in the last 5 years or so. Carry guns are all strikers. And they all work. Every time. Don't get me wrong I still love a nice chunk of steel, but these days I am looking at HKs or revolvers.

I buy from Freedom Munitions/LAX (sister companies) and 2A warehouse. I get a bad primer every 500 rounds or so but thats about it. Haven’t had a squib or anything of that sort. If the wheels fall off the cart i’ll change my habits.
I just got a 1000 rounds of 9mm from 2A yesterday. Their reviews are all over from good to bad. I counted and bagged ammo - all there. Ammo looks good and I’ll send 200 rounds down range tomorrow.

This is absolutely true. It's also why I haven't offered an opinion on ANY SA 1911. Because I have never shot one. I'll tell you what though, based on threads here on this forum I don't think I'd buy one. Especially the Prodigy. Almost everyone has had some sort of issue with it.

Then again, 1911s are finnicky things if you don't bone up and spend 3k on one to begin with. Almost all of mine have had work done to them.

I gotta say my fascination with 1911s has waned in the last 5 years or so. Carry guns are all strikers. And they all work. Every time. Don't get me wrong I still love a nice chunk of steel, but these days I am looking at HKs or revolvers.
My latest Springfield was the 9mm RO Operator, only issue I had it wasn’t going back into battery most of the time, called there CS and found they put a 9 pound recoil spring in it, I just replaced it with a 12 pound like my Kimber 9mm 1911 had, problem solved, don’t understand why they would use a weak 9 pound spring in it

I just got a 1000 rounds of 9mm from 2A yesterday. Their reviews are all over from good to bad. I counted and bagged ammo - all there. Ammo looks good and I’ll send 200 rounds down range tomorrow.
I agree they make good target ammo, but my Prodigy definitely didn't like their remanufactured stuff. Too much case width variance.

I own a Para Ordnance P14-45. It is a .45 acp with a fourteen round capacity. The frame and grip is one piece and aluminum. Para’s use a conventional barrel and STI/Stacato’s use a bull barrel. The STI/Stacato uses a two piece frame and can be ordered steel or aluminum. Para built 45 acp, 40 cal and 9mm. I know 45 acp double stacks run much better than 9mm. I have no idea how their 9mm run but in 25 years my Para has never had a feeding Issue. I wish my Prodigy ran like my 25 year old Para. Just my two cents.
Concur I bought my P14-45 in the early 90s. It has never failed

I think it’s more a case of coming on Springfield’s forum, slating one of their products and then when people start piling on it’s I don’t have money, resources and - oh yeah, I don’t even own the gun I’m saying is so great. What was the point if it wasn’t to wind people up?

Personally, I am happy to know about other options to get the "same thing". It's just like how I have a DW Guardian in 38 Super. I love a lightweight bobtail Commander. It was the most affordable pistol of that type that I knew of. I recently learned that Tisas was making the Bantam and Stingray. Both are lightweight bobtail Commanders, in 9mm and 45, and for a lot less money than the DW. I bought Bantams in 9mm and 45 (and they are nice! - not junk).

And now, I have just ordered a RIA/Armscor TAC Ultra FS HC 9mm (SKU 51679). I wouldn't have known about it were it not for @Archym 's post. So, I really appreciate him sharing the info that it exists. And I got it for $790 (no tax, free shipping, free transfer at my local gun club).

I read and watched all the reviews I could find. I have seen tons of info on people having problems with their new Prodigy. I found almost no bad reviews on the Rock - except one guy that had some extractor issues with certain types of ammo. And the Rock has been around since something like 2014! The only real knock has been people's ability to get mags for it - which may yet bite me, too.

If there are any Prodigy owners in the Columbia, SC, area, I would be MORE than happy to meet up after I receive my Rock and do some shooting to compare them. I'm a member at Panteao (now Champion Defense?) and happy to host there for free, or meet at whatever other range you prefer.

I have a custom built STI 2011 in 45 that I've had for about 25 years now. I'll be comparing it to that, of course, for sure. I had a Para-Ordnance P12 back years ago, for concealed carry, but I went away from trying to conceal a double stack 45 long ago and sold that little brick.

From all the videos I watched and the specs on the weight of the Rock, I'm kind of expecting it to need a trigger job (as ANY stock, production gun would - for me, anyway), and otherwise be a super fast and flat shooter, ready for match use. Polymer framed guns have been very trendy, for a while. But, steel framed guns are making a resurgence these days and I think it's mainly because they are easier to shoot fast, which makes them better for competition.

I have been shooting mostly Carry Optics in USPSA and Steel Challenge, but if the Rock shoots like I think it will, I might switch to primarily shooting Limited. We'll see.

Anyway, I was interested in the Prodigy when it was announced (which is how I ended up in this thread), but my interest waned pretty quickly, after seeing all the details, and then all the issues people have had. Thank you again to @Archym for posting the info about the Rock. Almost half the cost and it looks (on PAPER) like it will actually be better for shooting matches with.

So, seriously. If anybody around here wants to meet and swap around guns. please PM me! I would certainly love to try a Prodigy!

And now, I have just ordered a RIA/Armscor TAC Ultra FS HC 9mm (SKU 51679). I wouldn't have known about it were it not for @Archym 's post. So, I really appreciate him sharing the info that it exists. And I got it for $790 (no tax, free shipping, free transfer at my local gun club).
I've been looking at the TAC Ultra in 9mm but no one has it.

Really want to get my hands on one just to see how it is.

Took my P 4.25 out yesterday and ran another 200 trouble free rounds of the Winchester Active Duty stuff. Now I am making it a game of how long I can go without cleaning. Have been through a thousands rounds. In fairness I do slather it in oil and keep a rag handy to wipe of the excess when shooting.

I did have my front sight finally come loose after over 2000 rounds of +P and used red locktite and it held fine yesterday. I am running a 14lb spring to deal with the recoil. Rear sight, even with a dab of red locktite, has to be checked every 250 rounds. When the plates come in it will get a good soaking of red and that will be that.

Took my P 4.25 out yesterday and ran another 200 trouble free rounds of the Winchester Active Duty stuff. Now I am making it a game of how long I can go without cleaning. Have been through a thousands rounds. In fairness I do slather it in oil and keep a rag handy to wipe of the excess when shooting.

I did have my front sight finally come loose after over 2000 rounds of +P and used red locktite and it held fine yesterday. I am running a 14lb spring to deal with the recoil. Rear sight, even with a dab of red locktite, has to be checked every 250 rounds. When the plates come in it will get a good soaking of red and that will be that.
Red Loc-tite eh?

Back