testtest

First Look: Springfield 1911 DS Prodigy 9mm

Update on my range time.
500 plus rounds over the past 3 range trips, zero issues.
It’s clear, this gun likes oil.. I am new to the 1911 style world, always been polymer striker fired pistol kinda guy. My X5 Legion could be bone dry and run like a top, just cleaned once in a while.
The Prodigy likes to be oiled up. It is very, very nice to shoot. Not a huge fan of black out back and fiber up front..
I have a Holosun 407C waiting to be mounted once the plate from Agency ships…but will continue to run brass through it until then.

I think once I get the red dot up top, it’ll be neck and neck with my X5…
I also dislike the blacked out rear sights. My preference is Tru Glo TFX Pros.

I'm with you all the way on that, they are hard for me to see. especially at low light
I think they may be ok as a training device ( as in a piece of tape over your rear sights) to get someone to focus on the front sight, if they have trouble doing that. My thoughts are though if you are training to focus on something and you're unable to, then you are going too fast. Crawl, walk, run, in that order.

I considered that... But I don't have a great track record of successfully cutting down screws w/o messing up the threads.
You can do a work around if you have on hand a screw with the same thread pitch. if you have one screw it on and then grind what you need off the threads. back out the screw and you should be good to go.

I fixed my blacked out rear sight issue..
49C9EA00-EA7B-45DC-9F3C-0EFE41FC560D.jpeg

I just picked up a RIA Widebody 9mm today.

Might be a bit until I can give it a try…but I’m gonna run the snot out of it.

I finally got to shoot my RIA Tac Ultra FS HC yesterday.

I put about 200 rounds through. 100 rounds of Igman 124gr FMJ, and then about 100 of remanufactured 115gr FMJ.

The gun ran perfectly. Very accurate. Zero issues of any type. With the full length dust cover and rail and steel frame, it is nice and heavy. Barely moves when shooting it. The trigger measures 4# 12oz (5-pull average on my Wheeler digital gauge). The trigger is very nice. Short takeup. Very clean break with no creep. Nice, tactile, short reset.

I had read where mags were hard to find, but I got 4 more factory mags from Advanced Tactical, no problem. Cycled through all the mags yesterday, twice each. They all worked perfectly. And, the specs say the mags are 17 rounds, but they all held 18 and worked just fine, even for that first round coming out of the mag.

I was pretty interested in the Prodigy when it came out. But, now that I know about the Rock Island - and got one for $789 - I cannot really see any reason I would ever spend almost twice as much for the Prodigy.

I want to lighten up the trigger on this Rock, and then it will be ready to go for me to shoot it in USPSA Limited. It shoots awesome!

I finally got to shoot my RIA Tac Ultra FS HC yesterday.

I put about 200 rounds through. 100 rounds of Igman 124gr FMJ, and then about 100 of remanufactured 115gr FMJ.

The gun ran perfectly. Very accurate. Zero issues of any type. With the full length dust cover and rail and steel frame, it is nice and heavy. Barely moves when shooting it. The trigger measures 4# 12oz (5-pull average on my Wheeler digital gauge). The trigger is very nice. Short takeup. Very clean break with no creep. Nice, tactile, short reset.

I had read where mags were hard to find, but I got 4 more factory mags from Advanced Tactical, no problem. Cycled through all the mags yesterday, twice each. They all worked perfectly. And, the specs say the mags are 17 rounds, but they all held 18 and worked just fine, even for that first round coming out of the mag.

I was pretty interested in the Prodigy when it came out. But, now that I know about the Rock Island - and got one for $789 - I cannot really see any reason I would ever spend almost twice as much for the Prodigy.

I want to lighten up the trigger on this Rock, and then it will be ready to go for me to shoot it in USPSA Limited. It shoots awesome!
Lightening the trigger is easy. If you are unsure how to do it . Atlas has an excellent video . It's really simple

I just had Skipsguns complete the following. Let's hope it runs better. Mine is a 4.25". I should be getting it this week, I will post some pics when it is here and a range report.

A Better Prodigy – $465
SkipsGuns has tuned multiple Springfield Armory Prodigy’s and found the path to reliability and turning your Prodigy into a truly better 2011! Price includes the following:
Tuned EGW Ignition Kit, Atlas Trigger, 7lb Recoil Spring & Buffer, Tooless Guide Rod (5” model only), Chamber Reaming, Polishing of Feed Ramps, and Magazine Deburring.

So buy a $1500 SA 9mm 1911 and put another $500 in it ?

Is it just me or does SA seem to have a hell of a lot of problems with their 1911s ?
Yep, I already have a Staccato C2 so speding the money on something other than the C2 was fine with me. I wanted to try something new.. I paid 1100 for my Prodigy brand new.

Back