testtest

First Look: Springfield Armory Emissary 1911 Review

I’m ignorant about bull barrels. And with no bushing, I’m assuming the spring plug seats in the lower well of the frame (?) or there is no plug (?)
But how’s that pin or paper clip used for takedown/disassembly ?

I’m ignorant about bull barrels. And with no bushing, I’m assuming the spring plug seats in the lower well of the frame (?) or there is no plug (?)
But how’s that pin or paper clip used for takedown/disassembly ?
Probably like my Kimber Pro Carry II, it has the Bull barrel, it may have what’s called a reversible plug, here is how the Kimber disassembles if this helps you any.
B4583DF1-39B6-46B2-B1A7-72C8F61822C1.png

I just saw this on the Springfield Armory sight Yesterday and was captivated by it, Awesome Video. I want one, no two, how about three! Fine looking pistol. This is the first time I have ever wanted a non Mil Spec 1911. I mean just the straight forward 1911. This has the look of a champion, and watching it fire, I can imagine the balance is supreme. Even the grips looks incredible. Thanks for the first look, now I have to have it, if I can find it. Someone at Springfield is a genius by the way.

I have a Pro Carry 2 as well and I swapped out the recoil spring and rod for a Wilson Comabt flat recoil spring and rod that does not require the PITA “paper clip”. It makes it much easier to field strip.
Thanks Simon! I’m not generally inclined to start changing out parts on a new gun but agree that this takedown method seems PITA. Spgfld already irks me a bit with their fiddly to re-insert slide release…

Damn, that looks like the machine of a dream, such a clean machine! While some people are wanting a double-stack variant of this, I'd rather see one with a ported 6" (or longer) barrel, like the V-16 SA discontinued a few years ago.

Then again, I'm not likely to get my hands on one unless the sodding roster is abolished.

Agreed. The trigger didn’t bother me to much but the square trigger guard didn’t appeal to me. Overall a nice looking gun but I don’t need another 1911 right now especially in a 45 now a 10mm would have me looking twice but I’m still leaning towards an XD in 10 for the double stack.
Hell yeah. Give me a 10mm 1911.

You know something ?
I’ve been looking at some pics of this thing - close ups and from diff angles - and it’s starting to lose its appeal…
Not sure why, maybe a little bit of a gang weapon look?? Or maybe it’s a pic I saw from underneath that makes the rails look wide… or sumthin.
(I’m not a huge rail fan anyway)

You know something ?
I’ve been looking at some pics of this thing - close ups and from diff angles - and it’s starting to lose its appeal…
Not sure why, maybe a little bit of a gang weapon look?? Or maybe it’s a pic I saw from underneath that makes the rails look wide… or sumthin.
(I’m not a huge rail fan anyway)

I think overall the thing I love about the 1911 is just it's absolute timeless classic look, and that was such a big part of its appeal to me.

Guess i'm old fashioned... sort of.

Last edited:
I think overall the thing I love about the 1911 is just it's absolute timeless classic look, and that was such a big part of its appeal to me, besides the obvious reasons people want/own 1911's.

Guess i'm old fashioned... sort of.
…it does have that timeless appeal, plus a sort of “remember when….?” good feeling when you hold one or compare yours to someone else’s.

Funny, and despite my post above, a 1911 is a 1911 is a 1911. If you copycat it, well, you’ve made a 1911. And nothing else.

Now consider Glock. It has all those plastic striker-fired derivatives and many (?) are rather different. Perhaps some are distinctly different. They run the gamut from Hellcats to Sigs to Shields to MC2’s…but there’s nothing much different from a 1919 1911 to a 2019 1911… ( whew! what a sentence. it’s late and I’m getting tired). It hit the broad market fully evolved. Anything ‘new’ about it over the years amounts to color of eyes or having freckles on a person , ie it really don’t matta’…..

And to paraphrase a cool 90s movie
“I run my 1911 how I run my 1911 ! You want to take a shot at me, then roll the dice and take your chances…. but don’t think you can come down here, unholster a chunk of plastic, and make me nervous …”
( reinsert cigar )

Hmmm. I don't care for it. I appreciate seeing grip lines on the front of the handle. Very much so. I just don't like the pattern. I would prefer something grippier (is that a word?) like a basic 25 lpi like Stan Chen uses. To be fair, there are some Kimbers that i just don't care for the aesthetics. To each, their own.

I love my RO Elite Operator in .45. Added a Stan Chen mag well, Wilson Combat slide release and mags. Only thing I'd add is some grip checkering on the front of the handle. This is my favorite piece. Not my carry piece, that would be an XDS 9.

I loved reading through all the comments on this thread. Lots of different opinions. I think that is what I like most about this pistol. It is classic, but at the same time it is different enough that it stirs a different feeling from different people. Too many manufacturers today are trying to build the gun that everyone will love. Springfield didn’t do that here. Instead they built a gun that some people would live and others? Well… not so much.

I think that is the best approach. I’d rather design something that is loved and hated (not that anyone hates the Emissary) than some thing that everyone thinks is just O.K.

The bull barrel takedown method is very common among bull barrel 1911’s and once you do it it becomes very easy to field strip.

I found the checkering in the front strap to be very grippy. I originally thought it was going to be primarily decorative. It looks great and works great as well. The gun shoots like a dream.

Back