testtest

First-Time Handgun Owner’s Guide

I echo Bob's welcome, alex411. Good to have you here.

My philosophy in life in general is that if you pay attention, you can learn something from anyone. You never know it all!

Fantastic video Paul! My daughter will be watching this soon since she finally decided she would like to learn to shoot.

I came from a large family of 10 kids that grew up in the suburbs with no firearms of any kind. At 30 (35 years ago now) I received my grandfather's 3 singleshot guns, a 1938 Rem Targetmaster 22 LR, a 1940 H&R 20 ga and a Steven's 12 ga. I had never seen them before, they had been stored in his attic as he had stopped hunting many years before. That's when I had to start teaching myself since I did not know anyone else who knew anything about guns.

It has been a long road since then with additional rifles, shotguns, black powder, handguns and finally ARs, all with a lot of learning, self safety training and cleaning all along the way. I'm glad this kind educational videos are available today so the uninformed don't have to dig as hard to learn as I have.

With new gun owners the first thing I tell them is to always be aware exactly where that muzzle is pointing. Down and away from everything you would not want to kill or maim. Loaded or especially when 'empty,' always down and away.
Keep your ammo put away, all of it, until you are packing for the range. Practice handling the cleared gun, learn about its field strip, but don't play with it. If goofy friends drop in, put it away. The average crowd can be pretty dangerous.
Last I tell them to never drink before or during range outings. Firearm handling is serious business. There's no tolerance of foolishness.
Then there's a whole lot more.

Great video Paul for first timer semi auto buyers.
I came from a family that had no interest in firearms and back in the 70's when I started shooting information was minimal you either were shown by someone or you learned by trial and error.
I was pretty much a revolver guy, then I jumped on the 9mm bandwagon and bought a S&W model 59.
Still have it today.
Thanks Mike for the post.
Yes sir me too(family who had no interest in firearms). Fortunately I had some uncles and family friends who were like uncles that taught me how to safely handle and shoot firearms. By the time I enlisted in the Marine Corps in 1976 I'd been shooting a few years and the M-16 felt like a glorified 22. I'd been shooting a Remington in 308 before I enlisted. I enjoyed the 308 a lot. I still prefer bolt action rifles over semi-autos. Now that I'm retired and moved back home and live near family I'm considered the "gun" guy in the family. I get asked opinions about different firearms. I have taught basic firearm safety classes to several relatives, along with basic empty hand self-defense(I'm a martial arts instructor.).

With new gun owners the first thing I tell them is to always be aware exactly where that muzzle is pointing. Down and away from everything you would not want to kill or maim. Loaded or especially when 'empty,' always down and away.
Keep your ammo put away, all of it, until you are packing for the range. Practice handling the cleared gun, learn about its field strip, but don't play with it. If goofy friends drop in, put it away. The average crowd can be pretty dangerous.
Last I tell them to never drink before or during range outings. Firearm handling is serious business. There's no tolerance of foolishness.
Then there's a whole lot more.
Good advice sir. I use snap caps. And when I do the live ammo in another room. I have seen some very dumb firearm handling mistakes. And when given the opportunity I educated the person. I once spent a couple of hours with a cousin going over the proper way to check a semi-auto and making it safe(magazine out, action locked back) and how to keep from covering others with the barrel. We have refresher courses pretty often. My friends and relatives know that I am all about firearm safety. But it's something you can never get complacent about. And I totally agree that alcohol and firearms(or any weapon, knife, etc.) don't mix. I'm usually armed(firearm and knife) so I don't drink alcohol, not even just 1 beer.

I have seen people do some pretty stupid stuff when alcohol consumption is combined with firearms and even when no alcohol was involved.

Thanks mike great read as usual my first gun was a old ruger mk 1 hard not easy to take apart and put back together learned a lot from that gun

Back