testtest

Five Reasons the Glock 19 is a Great Carry Gun

Well a pictures worth a thousand words
6708B693-5DB9-4F54-B717-7312831075F2.jpeg
6708B693-5DB9-4F54-B717-7312831075F2.jpeg

I’ve always been a Springfield XD and XDM guy I did buy a Glock but the grip angle was just not for me, traded it in for my Taurus 605M revolver, no regrets.
The (1) XD I have is the sub compact 40SW Mod2 Grip Zone model with extended mags, a gun I shoot extremely well. The (3) XDM models I have are all fantastic handguns.

I look at articles like this as good conversation because everyone has their likes and dislikes when it comes to everything from firearms to vehicles, it all comes down to what fits and works for the individual.

As far as perfection? Nothing is perfect.

Ok, Glock haters, tear into me on this post muhahahaha, just kiddin, decent article

I’m not a Glock hater and own two of them, but mainly as range toys or for home defense use.

Glock 19 was a great choice years ago for concealed carry, when the other choices weren’t as good. Today, there are better choices.

The best analogy I've heard for a Glock, specifically the Glock 19, is that it's the Toyota Camry of handguns. It's basic transportation, it does everything adequately but nothing really exceptionally. That's really all I need out of a $500 gun.

There's a Firearms Forum called pistolforum.com. its clientele consists of notable instructors, gun magazine writers, quite a few cops and various other people who carry guns professionally and quite a few that have actually had to defend themselves with a handgun.

Every year one of the members does a survey who's carrying what and and the number of respondents who choose to carry a 9 mm Glock consistently is about 85%. There's probably another 5% that carry Glocks in some other caliber and the remaining 10% account for all other guns and calibers combined. This indicates to me that I did not make the wrong choice.

I don't have a large collection of guns. Between us my wife and I own less than 10 guns and four of them are Glocks.

One of the reasons I carry Glocks exclusively is because I have no emotional attachment to them.

If God forbid my gun ends up in an Evidence Locker somewhere, so what? It's a Glock 19 there's a million more just like it.

Funny, I could rewrite this and use most of those reasons why the Glock 19 is not a great carry gun

(To be fair, I really don't like Glocks)

1. Size - in today's market, there are so many guns that offer a slightly smaller size making them easier to conceal, while allowing a good grip on them, and equal or very similar capacity, but yet much easier to conceal.
  2. Capacity - similar to size. The Hellcat Pro, and similar, offer the same capacity in a smaller package. The XD9 is about the same size, offers another round. The G45 with only a slightly longer grip offers 2 more rounds
  3. Terminal performance - it's 9MM. While the 9mm is sufficient, and I trust it in my personal carry and duty weapon, it's just a 9MM. I mean, it's not a 45 or 10MM
  4. Shootability - I warned you, I don't like Glocks. I have shot a G21 and a G45 a lot, for duty. Like thousands of rounds. My XD9 just shot better. And it's definitely not a 1911. I think it has a lot to do with the grip angle (as the article refers to) and reason 5...
  5. Trigger - again, ties into 4. Most "blah" trigger on the market.

Funny, I could rewrite this and use most of those reasons why the Glock 19 is not a great carry gun

1. Size - in today's market, there are so many guns that offer a slightly smaller size making them easier to conceal, while allowing a good grip on them, and equal or very similar capacity, but yet much easier to conceal.
  2. Capacity - similar to size. The Hellcat Pro, and similar, offer the same capacity in a smaller package. The XD9 is about the same size, offers another round. The G45 with only a slightly longer grip offers 2 more rounds
  3. Terminal performance - it's 9MM. While the 9mm is sufficient, and I trust it in my personal carry and duty weapon, it's just a 9MM. I mean, it's not a 45 or 10MM
  4. Shootability - I warned you, I don't like Glocks. I have shot a G21 and a G45 a lot, for duty. Like thousands of rounds. My XD9 just shot better. And it's definitely not a 1911. I think it has a lot to do with the grip angle (as the article refers to) and reason 5...
Fair enough, question, have you ever tried the Gen5 triggers, lots better then the previous gens, the Hellcat Pro and XD9 in my opinion are a near copy of the G19, but just slight improvements added. BTW I have owned the XD9 and XD45. The Hellcat Pro and Sig P365XL are really copies, which both, personally I don’t care for, I have the Hellcat and P365, and for me there size is fine for what they were intended for.

Last edited:

In my experience, the most “blah” trigger in the plastic striker arena belongs to the XD series…pure mush.

In my experience, the most “blah” trigger in the plastic striker arena belongs to the XD series…pure mush.
I'd have to say that must depend on the XD then. I have an XD Mod 2 and while the trigger isn't even in the same league let alone the same ballpark as a VP9, it's better than a lot of other triggers. It's better than the one that guy in the other thread posted of his Hellcat. And it's as good or better than all the Glocks I shot, trying to fall in love, before I settled on the XD.

I will readily admit though that I would not be opposed at all to ditching that trigger if someone had something better for it.

Back