testtest

FL/SC members check in

Checking in from Jacksonville. Not much happened here, nor in Tampa where my mother lives. Prayers for those in the Southwest areas of Florida. Have a friend that lives in Englewood. He was fortunate to only have some minor water intrusion, and minor damage to the roof on his house.

Not much in Melbourne either. 70mph gusts and 40mph sustained. Power out in places, some roads flooded.
Central Florida got higher winds and a lot more flooding but not much else to write about. I highly doubt anyone in the SW corner has access to cell let alone internet. Major infrastructure as we’ve all seen. Cat4 50mi inland is kinda unheard of even in Florida.
It did leave the state about 20mi north of here so we got some winds for a whole day after. But now the humidity and sun are back in full force.
The barrier islands down there didn’t stand a chance…
I used to live on a barrier island here on the east coast and knew people that wouldn’t leave, but storm surge is worse in the gulf because of the wind direction and storm movements.

We were untouched in the Panhandle. My daughter, granddaughter, and sister-in-law all dodged the bullet in the Tampa Bay area. Sister-in-law lost a chicken in the wind somewhere along the way. I have family who lost the family vacation beach house in Bonita Springs but it was unoccupied at the time. Family in the eastern side of Tampa Bay lost a bunch of old oak trees. Friends in the Sarasota area lost shingles from their roofs and lost power and water but no major damage. Friends in Naples lost power and all comms. Otherwise all accounted for and no injuries.

We were untouched in the Panhandle. My daughter, granddaughter, and sister-in-law all dodged the bullet in the Tampa Bay area. Sister-in-law lost a chicken in the wind somewhere along the way. I have family who lost the family vacation beach house in Bonita Springs but it was unoccupied at the time. Family in the eastern side of Tampa Bay lost a bunch of old oak trees. Friends in the Sarasota area lost shingles from their roofs and lost power and water but no major damage. Friends in Naples lost power and all comms. Otherwise all accounted for and no injuries.
I drove down to Tampa to evacuate my Mother and her dog, thinking this would hit Tampa. Little did I know it would hit the exact spot that Charlie did in 2004. I remember living in Riverview and battening down the hatches for Charlie, when he took that sudden turn south of us. Wow, never saw anything like this. If Tampa ever gets hit with something on this magnitude, people are going to be stunned at the damage done. Not just physically, but monetarily. There is a lot of money in Tampa, Clearwater, St. Pete. Along Bayshore, around where my brother-in-law lives, you have multi-million dollar homes owned by execs of Coca Cola, General RV, Lykes, etc. Not to mention all the rich and famous in the area. I pray it never happens.

I drove down to Tampa to evacuate my Mother and her dog, thinking this would hit Tampa. Little did I know it would hit the exact spot that Charlie did in 2004. I remember living in Riverview and battening down the hatches for Charlie, when he took that sudden turn south of us. Wow, never saw anything like this. If Tampa ever gets hit with something on this magnitude, people are going to be stunned at the damage done. Not just physically, but monetarily. There is a lot of money in Tampa, Clearwater, St. Pete. Along Bayshore, around where my brother-in-law lives, you have multi-million dollar homes owned by execs of Coca Cola, General RV, Lykes, etc. Not to mention all the rich and famous in the area. I pray it never happens.
I worked in a PD down there for 20 years and attended the Governor's Hurricane Conference for many years. The Tampa Bay scenario was always the one the presenters portrayed as the worse case scenario, although what Ian just did is pretty close. There has just been so much development and so many people have moved there in the last couple of years to escape the communist states. Good on you for looking after your Mom.

I think we found the missing chicken
1664725576660.png

My father lives in Lake Suzy, which is slightly north and east of Punta Gorda. He lost the shingles on half his roof and some drywall came down inside the house. Lost power as well. He was there for Charlie as well. The eye of Charlie went directly over his house. He said this was worse than Charlie because it lasted WAY longer. He’s ok, but his house will need some repairs for sure. Inside and out. Part of the problem with all this is it may be months before damages get addressed. There’s just not enough construction crews down there to get to everyone in any kind of timely manner.

My father lives in Lake Suzy, which is slightly north and east of Punta Gorda. He lost the shingles on half his roof and some drywall came down inside the house. Lost power as well. He was there for Charlie as well. The eye of Charlie went directly over his house. He said this was worse than Charlie because it lasted WAY longer. He’s ok, but his house will need some repairs for sure. Inside and out. Part of the problem with all this is it may be months before damages get addressed. There’s just not enough construction crews down there to get to everyone in any kind of timely manner.
Yes we had folks in this area waiting for up to 2 years for new roofs. Blue tarps everywhere. First the storm wrecks your roof, then it starts raining

Back