testtest

For all you feral hog hunters/trappers!

jumpinjoe

Professional
Earlier today I ran across this 'Tiktok" or "Youtube" video (not sure which) showing the capture of an entire 'sounder' of feral pigs, from the full grown sows to pigs and even a couple ol' boars. I thought it might just be from one of our own here on the forum ...... NO, not one of our own hogs - one of our own hunters/trappers. LOL!

I tried to copy/paste the link but somehow messed up. The link will get you to the video but only in a still shot. I couldn't find a way to run the video, nor to get a better link.

Maybe some of y'all can find the fix. It's worth it to watch those animals go absolutely 'nutz' when those gates slam down. I've seen this in real life a couple times but never with a single trap as large as this one. Usually 6-8 or 10 animals at once. Y'all take a look! (y)(y)(y) And fix it so the video will run if you can. I've already admitted my computer skills leave a whole lot to be desired .... I can barely even spell 'IBM'.

One of many sounders we have caught out here on the ranch. Pandemonium does not adequately describe it, especially when the shooting starts.
1631707882466.jpeg

I have never messed with wild (or feral) hogs. I have talked to a local guy who just shoots them and lets them lay. He said they are carriers of anthrax and he doesn't want to mess with them. Other people take them home, cut them up and put them in the freezer. Just wondering what you folks do?

Also, the Game and Fish Commission here says not to shoot at them because they get to be real wary and are almost impossible to trap then. Game and Fish says hunters can't kill them fast enough to control the populations so they need to be trapped in big groups, which is what Game and Fish does. I don't know whay they do with them after trapping, whether they butcher them or just bury them.

I have never messed with wild (or feral) hogs. I have talked to a local guy who just shoots them and lets them lay. He said they are carriers of anthrax and he doesn't want to mess with them. Other people take them home, cut them up and put them in the freezer. Just wondering what you folks do?

Also, the Game and Fish Commission here says not to shoot at them because they get to be real wary and are almost impossible to trap then. Game and Fish says hunters can't kill them fast enough to control the populations so they need to be trapped in big groups, which is what Game and Fish does. I don't know whay they do with them after trapping, whether they butcher them or just bury them.
The small ones, we just cut the loins out in the field and dispose of the rest.

Watch youtube videos of wild hogs slashing open people unsuspecting of their tusks and wrath.

also, an adult wild hog has no natural enemy in the united states. No predator will take them on.

i had a boar charge my truck in a pasture. He stood his ground and charged

I thought it was a pretty good joke. :D

In full disclosure:

I have hunted true Russians running wild in the mountains of Eastern Tennessee. I've also hunted the big bears and years ago the big seven in Africa. Those Russian boars get the adrenaline going on an equal level even though they are less impressive in size.

I have also hunted javelinas and feral hogs in a number of states. While they are not nearly as exhilarating they are nothing to take for granted, especially as a group in a cage.

I have always loved hunting something that hunts back.

I just thought I was making a funny comment.

Post Script: I've tried eating those hogs - never again. I love bacon and other pork, but whatever those feral hogs are eating ruins the meat.

In full disclosure:

I have hunted true Russians running wild in the mountains of Eastern Tennessee. I've also hunted the big bears and years ago the big seven in Africa. Those Russian boars get the adrenaline going on an equal level even though they are less impressive in size.

I have also hunted javelinas and feral hogs in a number of states. While they are not nearly as exhilarating they are nothing to take for granted, especially as a group in a cage.

Post Script: I've tried eating those hogs - never again. I love bacon and other pork, but whatever those feral hogs are eating ruins the meat.
Ahhh.. Grasshopper .. gotcha 😆😆

i have run across lots of folks puzzled we kill hogs on site and think they are harmless. Never know what people are thinking .

Glad you’ve had fun chasing the beasts !!

OK, try this one:

I think it works. C/P the link into an address bar, then click on the screen/video to run it. At least it works for me doing that. (y)(y)(y)

And in answer to someone above who asked what to do with them, I'll add this........ For many years I hunted an area of a major ranch with lots of them. This particular ranch placed many old bath tubs out in pastures and filled them with surplus molasses to fatten cattle for sale in the spring. Many times I've watched the pigs trying so hard to reach the molases in those tubs, they would often reach a little too far and actually fall in the tub.

They would usually raise holy hell squealling and scrambling trying to get out for awhile, then they'd quieten down and go to eating the molasses for a bit. Eventually (most of the time) they'd find a way to get back out of the tub and what a mess they'd be all covered with that nasty, sticky molasses and dirt.

On occasions we would take a couple of them, usually shoats or an old barren sow for a camp cook out. They cleaned up really well and tasted much like maple cured bacon. Or on other occasions, we'd catch a few up live with our dogs, bring them in in our air boats and pen them up to grain feed them for a few weeks. This also made for some pretty good eating pork.

Then we also have what we call 'piney woods rooters' where they live pretty much in the pine and palmetto woods of the area. Not much for them to eat there except the grubs and carrion they find there. Not so much good eating with these.

In full disclosure:

The boars over 100-125 pounds are usually no good to eat Sows are usually pretty good meat. Shoot the sows.

Back