testtest

For those who chase quail...

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
but the author says...You can use any upland game for this recipe, and you can use more than the eight ounces I call for in this recipe.

Quail Carbonara Recipe

1658331577215.png

To me , that looks like a wonderful way to ruin Quail. :LOL:

I grew up eating quail , rabbit , Dove , etc.... fried with mashed potatoes , gravy , and either green beans , corn , or peas. Now look what you did ! made my mouth start watering for some great food. LOL

In all truthfulness that put together looks pretty tasty. However , since I no longer am able to hunt , I guess I won't find out. Now that is a shame.

To me , that looks like a wonderful way to ruin Quail. :LOL:

I grew up eating quail , rabbit , Dove , etc.... fried with mashed potatoes , gravy , and either green beans , corn , or peas. Now look what you did ! made my mouth start watering for some great food. LOL

In all truthfulness that put together looks pretty tasty. However , since I no longer am able to hunt , I guess I won't find out. Now that is a shame.
@papa I think that receipe would work with chicken or turkey.

Our state is working to build up the quail population. There used to be a lot more quail, but coyotes, chemicals, farming practices, urbanization, etc. knocked the population back quite a bit.

Our state is working to build up the quail population. There used to be a lot more quail, but coyotes, chemicals, farming practices, urbanization, etc. knocked the population back quite a bit.
My state started doing it 25 years ago. We have one of the best conservation departments in the country. There's still no quail except a few deep in the woods unless you go up north to the Iowa border. Farmers don't leave hedgerows anymore.

I live next to a half million-acre state forest. Bobwhites are native here and were plentiful in years past. The population has declined largely due to changes in farming practices, and development. Quail need bare ground adjacent to cover to thrive and pushing out all those fence rows years ago limited their habitat. Wild hogs destroy nests. Coyotes and Bobcats and foxes and hawks and snakes take many, but feral housecats probably do the most damage. Wild hogs and feral cats and coyotes are invasive here, so quail do not have the genetic memory of dealing with them. It is next to impossible to establish wild populations with pen raised birds as they do not seem to have the same abilities to avoid predators. Biologists tell me mortality of pen raised birds after release is 95%. Plus, pen raised birds mixed with wild birds seems to make the wild birds dumber.

The state is making a push to re-establish quail populations. We are attempting to create quail habitat in our pine plantation by planting native plants, leaving open areas, and leaving cover for the quail to hide from predators. One of the most important practices for quail management is controlled burns in the pine plantation. Burning is so important that the state quail biologists call them the Firebird. We have several coveys in and around our land, I hear them often and it is a joy to see a couple adults running down a dirt lane with a bunch of chicks following them. But the quail population has a long way to go to catch up to where they were in the past.

I live next to a half million-acre state forest. Bobwhites are native here and were plentiful in years past. The population has declined largely due to changes in farming practices, and development. Quail need bare ground adjacent to cover to thrive and pushing out all those fence rows years ago limited their habitat. Wild hogs destroy nests. Coyotes and Bobcats and foxes and hawks and snakes take many, but feral housecats probably do the most damage. Wild hogs and feral cats and coyotes are invasive here, so quail do not have the genetic memory of dealing with them. It is next to impossible to establish wild populations with pen raised birds as they do not seem to have the same abilities to avoid predators. Biologists tell me mortality of pen raised birds after release is 95%. Plus, pen raised birds mixed with wild birds seems to make the wild birds dumber.

The state is making a push to re-establish quail populations. We are attempting to create quail habitat in our pine plantation by planting native plants, leaving open areas, and leaving cover for the quail to hide from predators. One of the most important practices for quail management is controlled burns in the pine plantation. Burning is so important that the state quail biologists call them the Firebird. We have several coveys in and around our land, I hear them often and it is a joy to see a couple adults running down a dirt lane with a bunch of chicks following them. But the quail population has a long way to go to catch up to where they were in the past.
They also need food and water nearby. Hedgerows on the edges of soy bean and milo fields used to be the best places around here to find them.

Back