testtest

For those who own m1a's

Regarding Tex's OP about NM barrels, the NM barrel is thicker than the standard barrel. Thus, it takes longer to heat up and conversely, it takes longer to cool down. In theory, this extends the life of the barrel since fewer shots will be taken in a hot barrel, which degrades the rifling and bore at the muzzle, leading to degradation in accuracy. Please be advised that I am not a metallurgist...just regurgitation things I have gathered through research (maybe some from questionable sources!).

Regarding "Is it worth it?"....depends. It was worth it to me to pay $200 more for a loaded M1A than a standard M1A, but that also included a better trigger AND the NM rear sight peep (with 1/2MOA increment-per-click rather than 1 MOA-per-click in windage, unless it's really elevation because my old fashions are accumulating in my bloodstream).

I think it is relevant if you are asking about used rifles vs. new rifles in the OP. I have seen grading on M1 muzzles for old, used rifles...but not for M1A's. Paying more for a used rifle with an NM barrel may not be worth it if it has been degraded from heat. But if you are comparing new-to-new, the answer may likely be YES.

Time for another old fashioned...

Are you talking about PTR HK clones?

Those are built on the machines & tooling HK set up for Portugal; PTR bought it & imported it 20 years ago or so.

The early PTR91’s were built with a mix of parts, but for the past 10 years or so, they’re 100% US parts.
Hans,
The PTR still has used HK trigger groups with the exception the hammer is stamped PTR. The bolt carrier is used HK, all furniture is used HK, some still with German arsenal numbers painted on buttstock.
PTR makes the barrel, bolt head and hammer all the rest is used HK.
At least that is my experience from buying a PTR in the last 5yrs. Mine has been converted to all HK goodies with the exception of the barrel.
Now one thing many do not realize IF the actual bolt carrier was made in USA, they would not have the fully automatic channel cut if made by PTR.
Guess what wink wink....

Hans,
The PTR still has used HK trigger groups with the exception the hammer is stamped PTR. The bolt carrier is used HK, all furniture is used HK, some still with German arsenal numbers painted on buttstock.
At least that is my experience from buying a PTR in the last 5yrs. Mine has been converted to all HK goodies with the exception of the barrel.
Now one thing many do not realize IF the actual bolt carrier was made in USA, they would not have the fully automatic channel cut if made by PTR.
Guess what wink wink....
I think it depends on the model, though.

The GI models use some surplus furniture, but others have US made furniture (Magpul PRS stocks and aluminum forends, for example).

Hans,
Guess what wink wink....
I think it depends on the model, though.

The GI models use some surplus furniture, but others have US made furniture (Magpul PRS stocks and aluminum forends, for example).
They use what's available from 1 site I've read.

DSCF4508 (3).JPG

Awesome! Who did the stock?
Don't remember since I've had it for a long time. But yes, a good job on a USGI fiberglass stock. I have another USGI painted in a more desert color pattern.

Anyhow, an older SA Scout/Squad with USGI components except the receiver, some Sadlak upgrades, an ARMS #18 mount, Ultimak picatinny handguard, TPS HRT 1" medium Al rings to allow the Weaver V3 to clear the rear sight, Biothane sling, stock pad/pouch for odds & ends, and Tritium front sight.

Don't remember since I've had it for a long time. But yes, a good job on a USGI fiberglass stock. I have another USGI painted in a more desert color pattern.

Anyhow, an older SA Scout/Squad with USGI components except the receiver, some Sadlak upgrades, an ARMS #18 mount, Ultimak picatinny handguard, TPS HRT 1" medium Al rings to allow the Weaver V3 to clear the rear sight, Biothane sling, stock pad/pouch for odds & ends, and Tritium front sight.
1 of the better color schemes compared to the German HK's or the Brazilian sa58's. Those look like they've been in the trash for years with the too much mixed matched colored parts. Some like it, but not for me.

1 of the better color schemes compared to the German HK's or the Brazilian sa58's. Those look like they've been in the trash for years with the too much mixed matched colored parts. Some like it, but not for me.
Sort of a lighter version of woodland, as per the difference with the stock pouch. Works well in my area.

Last edited:
Back