testtest

FTF JHP 9mm

Hello All
Proud new owner of an RO Elite in 9mm. Initially CCI Blazer FTF, had stovepipes and all sort of issues. I switched to Wolf and it eat them all day long. I wanted to carry this so I purchased what i could get Speer LE JHP. It wont feed to save my life, always nose dives and gets hung below the feedramp.
i did purchase 2 magazines from GunPro, they have a tab that indexes inwards under the top round to support it when fed, that has helped the nose diving but I’m still left with about an 1/8th of an in of not going fully into battery.

defensive ammo is not readily available so i cant try different ammo like i did with my ball ammo. Do i send this in? Find a gunsmith or just resort to carry ball ammo for concealed carry?

thanks for input!

joe

How many rounds through the pistol? Sometimes there is a break in period before you can rely on self defense ammo, I usually try to shoot 250-500 rounds. Have you cleaned & lubed the gun? I have always had issue with Blazer ammo in my 1911’s.

Ok, shoot it some more, that’s not enough to see if it’s reliable or not yet. My S&W shield took about 200 rounds before it became reliable enough for me to carry it, now, I use Hornady ammo, but the Shield won’t feed 115gr Critical Defense at all, but it feeds 147gr XTP’s all day.

Last edited:
Ok, shoot it some more, that’s not enough to see if it’s reliable or not yet. My S&W shield took about 200 rounds before it became reliable enough for go to carry it, now, I use Hornady ammo, but the Shield won’t feed 115gr Critical Defense at all, but it feeds 147gr XTP’s all day.
I’ll give that a try next, see if a bit of work in help the cause.
Thank you Sir!

Oh wow. It's a newborn :). As @Annihilator said, clean it an keep feeding it. You need to break it in. Don't hit the panic button yet. I would certainly recommend running various self defense rounds through it and see what is most reliable and accurate if you plan on carrying it for that purpose.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

The two magazines from GunPro—who made them? If they’re no-name generics...that might be your problem. Get some Wilson’s, McCormicks, or Checkmates.

Second—could be that your pistol doesn’t like that particular JHP bullet profile. Try another. Yes, ammo is hard to come by and expensive...but what's your life worth?

Finally...if all you can get to run reliably is ball—RUN BALL.

Hello All
Proud new owner of an RO Elite in 9mm. Initially CCI Blazer FTF, had stovepipes and all sort of issues. I switched to Wolf and it eat them all day long. I wanted to carry this so I purchased what i could get Speer LE JHP. It wont feed to save my life, always nose dives and gets hung below the feedramp.
i did purchase 2 magazines from GunPro, they have a tab that indexes inwards under the top round to support it when fed, that has helped the nose diving but I’m still left with about an 1/8th of an in of not going fully into battery.

defensive ammo is not readily available so i cant try different ammo like i did with my ball ammo. Do i send this in? Find a gunsmith or just resort to carry ball ammo for concealed carry?

thanks for input!

joe
I'm not saying this is your issue but a few things can cause a stove pipe.

How is your grip on the gun? The slide maybe cycling faster then the gun can eject due to a stiff recoil spring and looser grip on the gun.

Have you had someone else try the gun with the same ammo.

Other issues can be under powered ammo with a stiff spring.

The gun may need some break in before it will perform correctly but I would definitely be concerned your having this many issues with it.

The posters above pointed out some good points. What does your feed ramp look like? It could possibly use a polish. Get a good high, solid grip. As Hans and Annihilator suggested give it a thorough cleaning, lube it run quality mags and give it a good break in, with ball ammo. I know ammo is scarce but most 1911’s do require a break in.

I was anal about using JHP's in competition. I handloaded them so the cost was minimal. My Kimber Raptor was flawless with FMJ but a pain with JHP. I only use Wilson mags since Kimber mags are well . . . . Anyway I solved the problem by replacing the mag springs with Wolfe. The stronger mag springs got the cartridge in the barrel quicker.

I was anal about using JHP's in competition. I handloaded them so the cost was minimal. My Kimber Raptor was flawless with FMJ but a pain with JHP. I only use Wilson mags since Kimber mags are well . . . . Anyway I solved the problem by replacing the mag springs with Wolfe. The stronger mag springs got the cartridge in the barrel quicker.

I’m a little confused on wanting to get the rounds in the barrel quicker? It’s a “cycle” when the slide comes back it ejects or extracts the round when the slide goes forward, into battery and the next round is chambered, which once into battery it is considered loaded. I think the feed lips and followers play more of a role than changing weight to try to make it load quicker.

I’m all about tuning a pistol, but not just the mags it has to go in conjunction with the rest of the pistol. To see if the mag was working right you would have to get measurements, check the lift from the first round compared to the last round with the Wolff springs compared to a factory mag.

I have a friend that has a Rock Island Compact and his would only feed ball ammo.
He polished the feed ramp and all is good.
Good Luck..

I’m a little confused on wanting to get the rounds in the barrel quicker? It’s a “cycle” when the slide comes back it ejects or extracts the round when the slide goes forward, into battery and the next round is chambered, which once into battery it is considered loaded. I think the feed lips and followers play more of a role than changing weight to try to make it load quicker.

I’m all about tuning a pistol, but not just the mags it has to go in conjunction with the rest of the pistol. To see if the mag was working right you would have to get measurements, check the lift from the first round compared to the last round with the Wolff springs compared to a factory mag.
With no feed ramp on .45 1911's the JHP's were hanging up when the gun was cycling. The heavier mag spring pushed the cartridge in quicker leaving less time for it to hang up. Logical or not it worked.

Back