testtest

Function question for Hellcat

Haroldg48

Operator
Question. With the slide locked open and muzzle toward the ground, should my striker be protruding into the breech face? If I tilt the pistol up, it slides back. I have many other striker-fired handguns and have never seen this before. The striker is like it is free-floating. I have about 1000 rounds through it.

Question. With the slide locked open and muzzle toward the ground, should my striker be protruding into the breech face? If I tilt the pistol up, it slides back. I have many other striker-fired handguns and have never seen this before. The striker is like it is free-floating. I have about 1000 rounds through it.
i never seen that on any of my guns. all i can conjure up is either a broken spring or plastic collar/sleeve?

This OP really picked my interest so I went to the safe and got out my Hellcat to look ............. it does exactly the same thing. Slide locked back, muzzle pointed to the ground, the striker falls forward. Tilt the gun up and the striker falls back.

Just spent a few hours at the range last week and spent about 150 rnds through it with the last rnd firing exactly as the first one did.

Appears to not be an issue and is all good. Like the OP I had never looked nor even considered it before now. (y) (y) (y)

The Hellcat is my first Springfield Armory pistol. Bought it after handling and shooting the P365. The hand fit and extra rounds sealed the deal for me. The Sig didn't fit my hand well (big mitts). I did add Talon grip material.

I'd love to have some extra user installable parts (recoil rod assembly, striker and springs, etc.) in my kit, but haven't found any sources for OEM.

I am now a SA fan!

Mine does the same thing and has just been fired perfectly fine. I’m thinking it’s a model eccentricity.
This OP really picked my interest so I went to the safe and got out my Hellcat to look ............. it does exactly the same thing. Slide locked back, muzzle pointed to the ground, the striker falls forward. Tilt the gun up and the striker falls back.

Just spent a few hours at the range last week and spent about 150 rnds through it with the last rnd firing exactly as the first one did.

Appears to not be an issue and is all good. Like the OP I had never looked nor even considered it before now. (y) (y) (y)
well, hell's bells.....i have a hellcat as well, and yup, mine does it too.

i should have taken mine out when i read the o/p's quirey, but with all my others i have never seen this, so i went and did something wrong, i "assumed" something was wrong with his.

my bad.

o/p, yer gun is fine.

but if yer dirty laundry falls out when you do that, THEN you got a problem...

Same reason the XDS does, they have a free floating striker.
My Hellcat makes the same rattle. I thought it might be "normal", but the striker drag made me wonder if a stronger return spring wouldn't be needed.
Also, what happens if the gun is dropped, while there is a chambered round?

Then I bought a Sig 365XL. No rattle, the striker stays "hidden" inside the breech face, locked by a safety. Can be pushed (with a finger) past the breech face only when the safety is depressed.

Also, the Hellcat striker seems to sit "crooked" in the plastic sleeve:

hellcat-striker_01-png.724219

Sig striker is has at the base a support for the spring that keeps it a bit more in line:
20210407_181323.jpg

20210407_121820_LI.jpg

Last edited:
My Hellcat makes the same rattle. I thought it might be "normal", but the striker drag made me wonder if a stronger return spring wouldn't be needed.
Also, what happens if the gun is dropped, while there is a chambered round?

Then I bought a Sig 365XL. No rattle, the striker stays "hidden" inside the breech face, locked by a safety. Can be pushed (with a finger) past the breech face only when the safety is depressed.

Also, the Hellcat striker seems to sit "crooked" in the plastic sleeve:

hellcat-striker_01-png.724219

Sig striker is has at the base a support for the spring that keeps it a bit more in line:
View attachment 17215
View attachment 17216

The striker is freefloating when the trigger is released, Ie you pull the trigger and it now floats in the striker channel. When the gun is cocked the striker is no longer freefloating it is being held by the sear at the front of the trigger stroke. The XDS/Hellcat both have a drop safety and you can not poke the striker throgh the breech face unless the drop safety is deactivated And the trigger pulled.
Your reasoning that the Sig is better because the striker assembly is slightly less “crooked” when removed out of the slide, I just don’t know what to say. It is a moot point though since when you put it in the slide, neither gun or any other that use that same design are still “crooked“.
And the Sig Sauer is also a free float striker design..... no rebound/dampener spring like say an xd or xdm. The Sig Sauer 365 also rattles one you pull the trigger To release the sear tension. You can use the same functions check that were described in the video to make sure your striker channel is clean. Don‘t believe pull your 365 slide flip it upside down and shake the slide it should rattle, and if you touch your striker it will move slightly back and forth.

The Hellcat is my first Springfield Armory pistol. Bought it after handling and shooting the P365. The hand fit and extra rounds sealed the deal for me. The Sig didn't fit my hand well (big mitts). I did add Talon grip material.

I'd love to have some extra user installable parts (recoil rod assembly, striker and springs, etc.) in my kit, but haven't found any sources for OEM.

I am now a SA fan!
You call Springfield Armory customer service and order the recoil rod and spring, it's like $13.00

Not to interfere with this conversation, but my Gen5 G26, in fact all my Glocks will rattle once the trigger is pulled just like the hellcats and XDs, and honestly, you really can’t compare strikers from 2 different manufacturers of guns, they not going to be the same, just my opinion.

Back