testtest

Girlfriend bought a Hi-Point

Since that carbine my wife has become a dedicated revolver and lever action shooter. And a damn good one at that. Her favorite revolvers are a SW 637 with laser grip and streamlight weapon light for the bedside table, and a 1980s Taurus model 66. She shoots the heck out of them.

Her carbine is a Marlin 1894 357 magnum.

About the same, honestly. I can't tell much of a difference. To be fair, I'm 240 lbs.
I'm not 240, but I'm not skinny and I got good upper body strength. Never had a problem with heavy recoil. One of my carry guns is a Shield PC .40. It is, as they say, snappy. Not really recoil just muzzle flip. More than the Shield .45 for sure.

I'm not 240, but I'm not skinny and I got good upper body strength. Never had a problem with heavy recoil. One of my carry guns is a Shield PC .40. It is, as they say, snappy. Not really recoil just muzzle flip. More than the Shield .45 for sure.
You'll handle it, no problem. The slide is slightly larger and heavier that the VP9. I doubt you feel much difference, if any.

In almost every concealed weapons course we have done at least one student who is a novice shows up with a pistol that is unsuited to them. Usually they got that gun due to well meaning but uninformed advice from someone. (The worst offenders are gun shop clerks.) We tell them not to go out and buy a gun before the course, as we have an assortment of guns for them to try, and part of the course is to teach them how to choose the right gun for them. The most frustrating thing for me is when a student shows up with a sub-par gun with a reputation for unreliability, usually chosen for price. I begin all my classes by telling the students if price is their deciding factor for a pistol to defend their life, they have their priorities wrong. If new costs too much for the budget, you can probably find a used gun of quality for around the same price as a new junk gun. There are just so many high quality firearms out there to choose from for self defense it just makes no sense to choose a 3rd rate gun for personal defense.

In almost every concealed weapons course we have done at least one student who is a novice shows up with a pistol that is unsuited to them. Usually they got that gun due to well meaning but uninformed advice from someone. (The worst offenders are gun shop clerks.) We tell them not to go out and buy a gun before the course, as we have an assortment of guns for them to try, and part of the course is to teach them how to choose the right gun for them. The most frustrating thing for me is when a student shows up with a sub-par gun with a reputation for unreliability, usually chosen for price. I begin all my classes by telling the students if price is their deciding factor for a pistol to defend their life, they have their priorities wrong. If new costs too much for the budget, you can probably find a used gun of quality for around the same price as a new junk gun. There are just so many high quality firearms out there to choose from for self defense it just makes no sense to choose a 3rd rate gun for personal defense.
It's funny how after literally decades of shooting and what I will term " Self training" and owning a wide variety of different types and calibers of handguns, once I began training with military guys and actual formal training with military and LEO instructors, the handguns that are most suited to me changed. Which is to say that after focusing on the right stuff it became evident that handguns I hadn't considered were actually better suited to my task/goals.

Here's where I went to do research on what to buy for my wife - a bunch of gun reviews by women.
Women can fire any modern firearm made. Just ask all the women in the Armed Forces of the US Military, Israel, Sweden, Finland … etc ..etc …
Dont let the word “woman” hold you up.

I work with a former Army Airborne woman that can shoot the day lights out with even large caliber rifles.

2 Years ago a friend of mine invited me to go shooting well bummers not done this in over 30 + years so proceeded to look it various gun stores & online saw a 9mm Hi-point ok great price was $180 went a local gun store to get a closer look the shop owners look at me with smiles on there faces ask ??? have I ever shot 1 I said I did or at least I thought I had some years ago. They recommended I look at S&W or Glocks , watch video from Hickok45 in which he takes Hi-point & explains pros & cons while holding his nose :) Wow what quick education time & $$$ saver. I pass on Hi-point and bought S&W 9mm for about $359 it was well worth it. In addition to it being a better gun overall it has a classic 1911 look which most modern hand gun try to look like. I hope the girlfriend sell it & get a real good Glock , SW , Beretta she be glad she did.

Women can fire any modern firearm made. Just ask all the women in the Armed Forces of the US Military, Israel, Sweden, Finland … etc ..etc …

I work with a former Army Airborne woman that can shoot the day lights out with even large caliber rifles.
Way too broad generalization. My wife is 5'1", has small, arthritic hands, rotator cuff issues and is (age redacted).
We finally found her an EDC she can rack, shoot (very well) and operate all controls without discomfort. It took months.

...but will she want to?

Shooting a particular gun as part of your job is not the same as carrying that gun everyday as your carry weapon.

As I read through the gun reviews by women at thewellarmedwoman.com, I was fascinated to find that, although there were lots of guns that were reviewed, there were only one or two guns that the women at the website really liked. Something like that can give you a good starting point in seeing what the woman in your life might like as an every day carry gun.

...but will she want to?

Shooting a particular gun as part of your job is not the same as carrying that gun everyday as your carry weapon.

As I read through the gun reviews by women at thewellarmedwoman.com, I was fascinated to find that, although there were lots of guns that were reviewed, there were only one or two guns that the women at the website really liked. Something like that can give you a good starting point in seeing what the woman in your life might like as an every day carry gun.
My point is, dont limit them to “guns suited to women”.
Let them handle everything and let them decide what is best for her as an individual. Some women love a big ol revolver where aome prefer a .380

Back