testtest

Glock 20: Why the 10mm Pistol Is One You Want in the Backcountry

Nope—revolver in a caliber beginning with “4” or “5”, and ending in “Magnum”, “Colt” or “Casull” for me.

The line about not being able to shoot a revolver accurately? That’s a user error, not a problem with the platform. If you are going to rely on something to save your life, it’s on you to take the time & effort into learning how to use it properly. Revolvers are actually a hell of a lot more accurate than any Glock can be.

Additionally, one benefit the revolver has over any auto is contact shots. If it all goes bad, and whatever is trying to eat you is actually on you...you can press a revolver into it and keep shooting. An auto can’t—it will be pressed out of battery. Sure, with a Glock, you can lock the slide with your thumb on the back of it (and no, you won’t tear your thumb off—I’ve done it, both thumbs are attached)...but you only have one shot.

For these reasons...a heavy caliber revolver is far superior to any auto for the “close critter defense” role.
Well, a 10mm converted to caliber does start with a .4 and you can get it in a revolver :)

If I was worried about bear I'd just haul my 1895G along, loaded with some 430gr +p hardcasts. Good luck to anything, Ursa or otherwise, that takes one of those to the body.

I replaced my G20 with a XDM 5.25 10mm as my backcountry handgun, and re-purposed my G20 into a CAA MCK chassis.
A win-win in both cases.
I too have the XDm 5.25 10mm as well as the TRP 6" 10mm, 2 other 1911's in 10mm, and all the Glocks in 10mm. I have mentioned in other posts that I also followed your advice and bought the CAA MCK for Glock G20/G21 to go along with my MCK for the Glock G19. I decided to place the G20 in the kit (I own the G21 as well), and it's a very nice package. ;)

Last edited:
Well, a 10mm converted to caliber does start with a .4 and you can get it in a revolver :)

If I was worried about bear I'd just haul my 1895G along, loaded with some 430gr +p hardcasts. Good luck to anything, Ursa or otherwise, that takes one of those to the body.

Doesn’t end in “Magnum”, though...;)

And, yes, a long gun would always be preferable; I’d sooner have my 1895M in .450, or a slug-stoked shotgun...

But the article is about handguns.

One thing—you probably won’t leave your handgun leaning up against a tree when you have to take a leak...it will be on you.

Back