testtest

Good grief. More Hunting regs.

Already discussed in this thread, plus

The regs only applies to USFWS-managed National Wildlife refuges, not anywhere else. Only the states have the authority to manage hunting & fishing regs on other Federally-managed lands like National Forests & BLM lands.

There have been steel-shot requires on the refuges for decades & there are non-lead fishing weights readily available for the same.

Once a bird or other animal ingests the lead shot or tackle, the animal can be poisoned as the lead comes into contact with the animal's digestive juices. Eagles who feed on gut piles can easily pick up toxic levels of lead. Birds that frequent areas where doves are hunted are exposed to large quantities of lead shot.

Years ago lead was removed from all paint because it was poisonous and making humans……
“especially children sick”
So I don’t understand why there is so much push back on regulation removing it from the hunting and fishing sports and hobbies.

Wildlife is also worth protecting.

Last edited:
I'm sure that as more states go blue banning lead will become the rule rather than the exception. Some folks like Keystone are concerned about the toll lead takes on wildlife which to me is a valid point. However, I also feel like banning lead from hunting ammo is another tactic the anti-gun crowd uses to screw with our gun rights. I'm not opposed to using other materials for ammo as long as the cost isn't prohibitive and the stuff works as well as what I currently use.

Once a bird or other animal ingests the lead shot or tackle, the animal can be poisoned as the lead comes into contact with the animal's digestive juices. Eagles who feed on gut piles can easily pick up toxic levels of lead. Birds that frequent areas where doves are hunted are exposed to large quantities of lead shot.

Years ago lead was removed from all paint because it was poisonous and making humans……
So I don’t understand why there is so much push back on regulation removing it from the hunting and fishing sports and hobbies.

Couldn’t of said it better myself. Washington switched back in the early 90’s for waterfowl. It’s especially problematic in areas with high hunting activities over wetlands and ponds. They even discovered lead poisoning in trumpeter swans. Steel shot has come a long ways and I am all for doing my part to not only enjoy outdoor recreation such as hunting but doing so in manner that doesn’t have adverse effects of potentially poisoning other species. I want my kids and grand kids to enjoy the great outdoors as well.

Rats, they’re not worth protecting.
They get a last meal and a spring trap
I’ll agree with you that rats are disgusting animals however keep in mind they are also food for a large variety of animals. I believe in spring traps but poison like lead is also very dangerous and even dead the poison can be ingested by the animals eating a dead carcass.

I’ll agree with you that rats are disgusting animals however keep in mind they are also food for a large variety of animals. I believe in spring traps but poison like lead is also very dangerous and even dead the poison can be ingested by the animals eating a dead carcass.
I got nothing against rats, just don't want them living by me. I can say the same about most people or groups of people though. And they are much harder to eradicate. :)

I don't kill anything I don't have to anymore. I have never seen rats where I live, but there is no shortage of mice. I generally don't kill them either. I relocate them and make adjustments to keep them out of my buildings. I also support most efforts to preserve wildlife as long as they aren't bat:poop: crazy rules like PETA and other animal rights groups propose. I have to say though considering that it is pretty near impossible to eat a fish, any fish, from any river or lake or ocean, that isn't impregnated with plastic molecules, we may have our priorities a little F'ed up.

So having all hobbies other than reading being outdoors, working in an industry (Petrochemical 32yrs), I am a small letter tree hugger (according to some friends). I believe in protecting water, air, and the eco system. I also don't believe in letting a mound of (your choice of species) stand in the way of progress for the community/mankind. Don't really see where this is such a game changer. Some places (private paid hunting) already have shot restrictions. Is it more costly, yes, safer probably. Much bigger issues with the outdoor shooting experience than this, primarily cost and decreasing interest.

Because there have been a number of studies that show lead shot and tackle are NOT anywhere near as hazardous as previously reported. These studies are hard to find, under reported, and underfunded because they don't fit the narrative. In fact the study that started it all the Calf. condor and lead waterfowl shot, was found in a court of law that the data was twisted, and cherry-picked to such an extent that the study was B.S. (my term not the courts ;)). Add to that, that "science" has been pushing bogus theories as fact and outright lies, computer models (that say whatever the number are that are put in and are questionable subjective at best) that some of us wouldn't trust them to give us the correct time of day.
"Wildlife is also worth protecting." Damn skippy, and it's sportsman that are doing it. When are the hikers, campers, bird watchers, etal, going to ask for a pittman-robertson like act on themselves? Come on Sierra club step up to the plate.

Back