testtest

Gun Mistakes in Movies & TV

MsMelissa

Operator
Founding Member
It always blows my mind when I watch stupid or unrealistic gun use in movies. I watched a Kevin Bacon movie called Death Sentence last weekend. It’s kind of a rip off on the old Death Wish movies. Anyway, so Bacon goes to buy guns so he can take revenge for his family. He has no idea how to load the guns or shoot. Then he goes after the bad guys and shoots a 1911 like 20 times without reloading the magazine.. Oh, and the 1911 doesn’t have the hammer back. Plus, he’s a crack shot with a shotgun even though 10 minutes earlier he was watching YouTube videos on how to load it. 🤦‍♀️

it’s funny because some people get their only idea of what a gun can do based on movies and television.

So what stupid gun things have you seen on television or movies?

It's amusing how you hear a slide or hammer cocking every time they pull a gun. The same pistol can get cocked a dozen times without ever firing, in the same sequence, just because the camera panned back onto the thing. Hollywood!

I don't remember the movie but the made the sound of a pump action shotgun when the actor had a rifle and another one they rack a semi auto pistol several time and no ammo ejected

Surpressors sounding like the Jetsons car. With that being said, I would love to hear a SAW like that.

I was watching blacklist and they were shooting up a house with ar15s, i noticed that the gun sounds were going off but all the guns werent showing any recoil or even ejecting blank casings 😂 its so annoying when you are a gun nut and pay attention to every detail

How about the flip side of this? I've seen a ton of bad gun handling in movies, but not much good. So when I do see good stuff, I'm really impressed. One that really caught my eye was Way of the Gun http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Way_of_the_Gun,_The Apart from some low brass shotgun shells on the ground (I think they'd be using buckshot), this one had amazing gun handling and gun tech.

Yeah , but then there's the opposite side of the coin. Keanu Reeves running and gunning in the John Wick series. Takes damage, reloads, has fail to feed and clears jams. The last one was way outlandish but the first one was just tremendous.

For me, it's when they spin a cylinder on a Smith & Wesson (when it's swung out) and it clicks. Makes me laugh every time!

The sideways, one hand aim always annoy me. :cautious:
It's more effective than you think, but only at closer ranges. A classmate of my oldest son was shooting my XDM40 at 15 yards fairly good and a novice with handguns on that. It might and does look stupid, but you have too know more about how too use it.

Back