testtest

Gun Oil: What Modern Guns Require To Fight Friction

i have been using Weapon Shield, as it is a synthetic lube, as i recall, reading the description, the weapon shield gets into the pores of the metals, and bonds to it. i use it on all my guns, expect my ccw, where i use a grease. and the only reason why i use a grease for my ccw, is to prevent the oil, from migrating down into my pants!

in fact, in the Dan Wesson manuals, they now recommend Weapon Shield.

Lately mainly just use Lucas products, have used many others like Hoppes and Remington.
One thought, although a likely minute one, how toxic is lubricant used to people, environment and animals?
Also surprised have seen no mention of silicone or Teflon on lubricants labels used. May have missed though?

Lately mainly just use Lucas products, have used many others like Hoppes and Remington.
One thought, although a likely minute one, how toxic is lubricant used to people, environment and animals?
Also surprised have seen no mention of silicone or Teflon on lubricants labels used. May have missed though?
Teflon is a brand name for a synthetic chemical called polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE)

you might be "seeing" PTFE, just not the word Teflon.

if i recall, there was a true movie about the Dupont company, and Teflon, causing cancer. some lawyer fought them for a few years. Dupont lost. that "could be" the reason we do not see the Teflon name, but rather PTFE..???

I use Lucas Oil on my personal guns and have been happy with the results. Guns I used for police work were maintained using products provided by the department. The department armorers have been using a mix of 15w-50 synthetic motor oil and automatic transmission fluid for years. The homemade stuff has been used on thousands of guns for years with no issues, so the name brand stuff may not be necessary.

Teflon is a brand name for a synthetic chemical called polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE)

if i recall, there was a true movie about the Dupont company, and Teflon, causing cancer. some lawyer fought them for a few years. Dupont lost. that "could be" the reason we do not see the Teflon name, but rather PTFE..???

Yep, could easily be and is in that case. Sometimes forget one "camouflaged" chemical when looking for more obvious one? Am not big fan of either Silicone or Teflon. Used too much with too little care sometimes? Pushed too much like miracle cures when sometimes create/make problems worse than original issue? Like most other lubricants, a little bit goes a long ways and sometimes too much in unintended areas isn't a good thing?

I use Lucas Oil on my personal guns and have been happy with the results. Guns I used for police work were maintained using products provided by the department. The department armorers have been using a mix of 15w-50 synthetic motor oil and automatic transmission fluid for years. The homemade stuff has been used on thousands of guns for years with no issues, so the name brand stuff may not be necessary.
There's a lot out there that's good and acceptable. Gun oil only thing usable?
Very likely not, but those handy dandy little containers are sometimes very nice!
I usually get squeeze type needle oiler bottles separately and then refill them. :)

Many of the brands that used Teflon no longer use it. Rem-oil and slick50 no longer use it in their formula.

Back