testtest

Gun review of the Gen5 G19

Annihilator

Emissary
Founding Member
As some of you might know, I bought a Gen5 G19 from my local shop that’s going out of business, finally got to take it out and give it a work out, now this is just my personal experience with it. I used 300 rounds of Magtech 115fmc ammo. I had no failure to feed issues. The finish I don’t really care for, to shiny and I don’t think it’s as durable as the old Tennifer finish, time will tell. Trigger pull was a lot smoother then the older generation of Glocks, still same Glock type of pull, just smoother. Personally I didn’t see much difference in the new marksman barrel over the older barrel in accuracy. Don’t miss the finger grooves on frame either. Take down latch is harder to pull down due to Glock changing to a coil spring instead of the v-type spring. Overall it’s a Glock, it shoots fine, no issues yet.

Pros: Smoother trigger pull, no finger grooves, extra blackstrap then Gen4’s, no FTF issues, RTF is good for sweaty/wet hands.

Cons: Not sure on finish, not much difference in accuracy, take down latch harder to do then previous Glocks. No part interchangeability between the Generations.

Not sure if it’s worth paying more for the Gen5 over the Gen4. From what I read, Gen5’s will only be available in 9mm.

As some of you might know, I bought a Gen5 G19 from my local shop that’s going out of business, finally got to take it out and give it a work out, now this is just my personal experience with it. I used 300 rounds of Magtech 115fmc ammo. I had no failure to feed issues. The finish I don’t really care for, to shiny and I don’t think it’s as durable as the old Tennifer finish, time will tell. Trigger pull was a lot smoother then the older generation of Glocks, still same Glock type of pull, just smoother. Personally I didn’t see much difference in the new marksman barrel over the older barrel in accuracy. Don’t miss the finger grooves on frame either. Take down latch is harder to pull down due to Glock changing to a coil spring instead of the v-type spring. Overall it’s a Glock, it shoots fine, no issues yet.

Pros: Smoother trigger pull, no finger grooves, extra blackstrap then Gen4’s, no FTF issues, RTF is good for sweaty/wet hands.

Cons: Not sure on finish, not much difference in accuracy, take down latch harder to do then previous Glocks. No part interchangeability between the Generations.

Not sure if it’s worth paying more for the Gen5 over the Gen4. From what I read, Gen5’s will only be available in 9mm.
Great review Annihilator. I got a Gen 4 G19 that occasionally gets some "stove pipes" during extraction. Several searches of the internet showed issues with the Gen 4 when it first came out with the recoil spring causing some "stove pipe" issues. The spring was recalled and new ones shipped out to owners. Well, even though I had it registered with Glock, I didn't receive any info from them, so I decided to call them on my issue and possible bad recoil spring. I read off the code of the spring, and he said that's the new on they shipped out, so my G19 was sold with it already installed. After I told him my problem, he asked what kind of ammo I was using. I told him cheap 115 gr range ammo, and he suggested going to 124 gr to work the recoil spring a bit harder. I haven't yet tried it, as I have too many new guns to shoot first :sneaky:, but I do like it and recently installed it in a CCA USA MicroConversionKit for all the Glock 9mm's. The brace folds to make it more compact.

IMG_1239.jpg
IMG_1240.jpg

My conceal carry is a gen 5 g19 and I really like it.

I have a g17 gen 4 and I would say I like the trigger much better on the gen 5. I personally do miss the finger grooves, though it isn't a big deal.

I shoot the weapon really well and definitely would trust my life to it.

Would love to see a comparison between the gen 5 g19 and the new xdm elite 3.8.

Great review Annihilator. I got a Gen 4 G19 that occasionally gets some "stove pipes" during extraction. Several searches of the internet showed issues with the Gen 4 when it first came out with the recoil spring causing some "stove pipe" issues. The spring was recalled and new ones shipped out to owners. Well, even though I had it registered with Glock, I didn't receive any info from them, so I decided to call them on my issue and possible bad recoil spring. I read off the code of the spring, and he said that's the new on they shipped out, so my G19 was sold with it already installed. After I told him my problem, he asked what kind of ammo I was using. I told him cheap 115 gr range ammo, and he suggested going to 124 gr to work the recoil spring a bit harder. I haven't yet tried it, as I have too many new guns to shoot first :sneaky:, but I do like it and recently installed it in a CCA USA MicroConversionKit for all the Glock 9mm's. The brace folds to make it more compact.

View attachment 2273View attachment 2274
That is neat, never saw anything like it.

That is neat, never saw anything like it.
Got it from Classic Firearms on sale for $150. I've seen them at gun shows and in the past, they required the NFA ATF tax stamp (they either had a folding stock (not pistol brace), or the brace wasn't yet approved by the ATF as not being a SBR). This didn't require any paperwork, but I had two issues trying to insert my G19. 1) the bottom door wouldn't close and lock the pistol in place and 2) the charging handles racking the slide would stop half way back not allowing a full slide racking, First issue was due to me having the "Beaver tail" back strap install on the pistol (resolved by replacing with the medium back strap), and the 2nd was due to the threaded barrel with thread protector that I had installed. Removing the thread protector allowed the barrel tilt during racking not to be impeded by the kits barrel shroud thus allowing full racking. I installed CAA's accessories kit I got from Optics Planet (1 pt. sling, push button sling attachment, thump rests, flip up sights (front and rear, but I had some MBUS flip ups that I installed in picture), flashlight that goes in housing under the barrel. The flashlight/laser on side rail was on the G19 rail which I just moved to this kit. It has a extra holder in front of pistol grip for extra mag & with extended Glock mags in pistol and holder, you got plenty of capacity. It will be another of my bedroom guns. 😲

Description follows:

Cool, thanks for the link.
No problem Annihilator. I'm not sure my model (the one I linked to), supported the Gen 5's (read the description, rating comments to be sure as it may, I'm just not sure), but I did also see an advance CAA kit that supported the Glock 9mm gen 5's (at a 400+ price, yikes). There's several kits out there in different colors to boot. Unfortunately, it looks like the prices went up in price (230? for mine).

Wow Bet7. That is cool. Unfortunately, just thinking of that for me is illegal. You have some amazing things.

Got it from Classic Firearms on sale for $150. I've seen them at gun shows and in the past, they required the NFA ATF tax stamp (they either had a folding stock (not pistol brace), or the brace wasn't yet approved by the ATF as not being a SBR). This didn't require any paperwork, but I had two issues trying to insert my G19. 1) the bottom door wouldn't close and lock the pistol in place and 2) the charging handles racking the slide would stop half way back not allowing a full slide racking, First issue was due to me having the "Beaver tail" back strap install on the pistol (resolved by replacing with the medium back strap), and the 2nd was due to the threaded barrel with thread protector that I had installed. Removing the thread protector allowed the barrel tilt during racking not to be impeded by the kits barrel shroud thus allowing full racking. I installed CAA's accessories kit I got from Optics Planet (1 pt. sling, push button sling attachment, thump rests, flip up sights (front and rear, but I had some MBUS flip ups that I installed in picture), flashlight that goes in housing under the barrel. The flashlight/laser on side rail was on the G19 rail which I just moved to this kit. It has a extra holder in front of pistol grip for extra mag & with extended Glock mags in pistol and holder, you got plenty of capacity. It will be another of my bedroom guns. 😲

Description follows:

I have the MCKs for a G21 and another for a G20. Both brace models. Since there are better (IMO) SA models in 10mm and 45 I repurposed the G20 & G21 into the MCK configuration. Major improvement in usability for me.

I have Gen 2 G19 but can't put into a MCK chassis since it doesn't have a rail which the MCK uses to lock into up front.

I had fitment issues also with my G20/G21 MCKs but figured out that loosening the chassis halves screws allowed me to get them in properly. Taking them out of the chassis isn't a big deal since both G20/G21 are parked in the chassis now 100% of the time.

I understand that CAA has just released a Gen2 MCK that addresses some of the issues, none of which are function (100%) related.

Would like to have the same set-up in a G19 but really don;t want to pony up extra $$ unless I find a killer deal on a Gen 3.

Last edited:
I have the MCKs for a G21 and another for a G20. Both brace models. Since their are better (IMO) SA models in 10mm and 45 I repirposed the G20 & G21 into the MCK configuration. Major improvement in usability for me.

I have Gen 2 G19 but can't put into a MCK chassis since it doesn't have a rail which the MCK uses to lock into up front.

I had fitment issues also with my G20/G21 MCKs but figured out that loosening the chassis halves screws allowed me to get them in properly. Taking them out of the chassis isn't a big deal since both G20/G21 are parked in the chassis now 100% of the time.

I understand that CAA has just released a Gen2 MCK that addresses some of the issues, none of which are function (100%) related.

Would like to have the same set-up in a G19 but really don;t want to pony up extra $$ unless I find a killer deal on a Gen 3.
Great write up Talyn, glad to see I'm not the only one with the CAA kit ;). This was the kit I was confusing with TexasforLife's thread on the other conversion kits, while posting about it's prior legalities.

Just got to run through one myself. A friend picked one up for a song and a dance. A little polish on the trigger bar and sear interface with a bronze wheel and its smooth as leather soles on persian rug and breaks like a dried spaghetti.
I still dont care for them much though. Dont get me wrong, they run great but, they just feel disposable to me.

Back