testtest

Gun Safes

Bolting down safe to wall studs and floor joists or concrete floor through many safes predrilled holes helps. So does encasing safe in solid poured rebar reinforced concrete block walls as well as an alarm system with back up power source.

A bare unanchored stand alone safe? Not so much depending on safe's size? Many smaller wall safes are simply yanked from walls and carried off?

Purposely, without elaborating too much, it may help to think of more a "safe system" instead of just a safe itself?
"Many smaller wall safes are simply yanked from walls and carried off?"

That might be an idea. Have a wall safe visible, as a decoy, and have the actual "good" safe well-anchored, and hidden. The bad guys may expend their energy removing the wall safe and then high-tailing it off the property with it. Be sure and put something insignificant in the decoy safe that will move around so they'll know there is a "prize" inside. :)

That might be an idea. Have a wall safe visible, as a decoy, and have the actual "good" safe well-anchored, and hidden. The bad guys may expend their energy removing the wall safe and then high-tailing it off the property with it. Be sure and put something insignificant in the decoy safe that will move around so they'll know there is a "prize" inside. :)
You're learning! Heck, we all are! ....Illusion is a key?

Better yet. Wall safes that just look like a wall. And I’m not talking about putting one behind gramma’s portrait like in the movies. If you’re a thief and you’re looking at a plain old wall, you’re not going to waste much time checking to see if there’s something behind it.

I subscribe to the hide the safes, maybe even right in plain sight theory.
1620834645220.gif

🤪🤪🤪🤪

The only question I'd want answered: What happens if at some point the locking mechanism fails and I'm unable to get it open? Over the years I've read horror stories on other gun boards by members who have had this happen. Has any one here had this happen or know of someone who did.

Depends on the safe, some have mechanical keys.

Worst comes to worst, know a good locksmith. My local locksmith actually always has a couple of safes in his showroom. Usually a result of someone who lost access to it, and asks him to get rid of it for them. He gets in, and gets them ready to be sold and used again.

@ddeuce22, I've started shopping too. The safe reviewers online reminded me of an important point regarding choices:
"...all you're doing with a safe is buying time. You're putting money on the ground to make a hard target stressful and is cumbersome and the highest risk of getting caught...Putting $100 down you're getting 10 minutes. You put another $100 down you get another 10 minutes. You put a thousand dollars down and you're gonna get more..."

@ddeuce22, I've started shopping too. The safe reviewers online reminded me of an important point regarding choices:
"...all you're doing with a safe is buying time. You're putting money on the ground to make a hard target stressful and is cumbersome and the highest risk of getting caught...Putting $100 down you're getting 10 minutes. You put another $100 down you get another 10 minutes. You put a thousand dollars down and you're gonna get more..."
I used to subscribe to his (guy in the video) YT channel when he strictly focused on kayaking. Been unsubscribed quite awhile now.

Thanks for posting Antonio.
Video starts off a bit so-so, but lot of good pointers and thoughts for 1st time buyers and ideas for current owners. Covers many bases.

Do research on YouTube and you will find out how quickly somebody can get into a cheap safe.

Cheaper safes are great to keep kids out and quick smash and grab robberies but if somebody spent a little bit of time they could get into one easily

Huge chunk of a cost of a gun safe is the shipping. So the best deal is going to be what you can find local to you.

I recently bought a Vital Impact from Sportsman's Warehouse for my mom, and I was impressed by what you get for $300. IME, they're heavier, and nicer built than the Harbor Freight ones going for the same price. They don't allow you to buy it in store for some reason. You have to order online, and pickup in person. They did load it onto my truck for me.

I bought 2 stack-on safes for myself, a 24 gun, and an 18 gun. But the reason I went with them was because they have a warehouse local to me, so I got them way under MSRP picking it up in person. I think the company's gone Chapter 11 though.

I was looking at Liberty Safes, if you've got a Cabelas/Bass pro local, they carry a line of rebranded Liberty safes that cost less than comparable Liberty models, branded ProVault. I was going to get one of these, until I found out about Stack-On being local, and being able to purchase 2 stack-on safes for the price of 1 ProVault.

Another one I was considering was the Winchester branded ones at Tractor Supply Co. At the time the only Tractor supply Co by me was still under construction, and the closest operational one was a 6 hour round trip.

Buy a larger safe than you need. I've filled both mine up already, and am already trying to find space for a 3rd safe.
I have the same vital safe I think for the price it’s an awesome safe

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 137
Do research on YouTube or on the site and you will find out how quickly somebody can get into a cheap safe.

Cheaper safes are great to keep kids out and quick smash and grab robberies but if somebody spent a little bit of time they could get into one easily

I have a Cannon 80 gun safe. Wife and daughter bought it for my birthday a few years ago. I sad , "Thanks. Does this mean I get to buy more guns". 😁 The safe replaced three smaller safes. Still have some room in the safe but scoped rifles take up more space. Definately get a bigger safe than you think you need.

Do research on YouTube and you will find out how quickly somebody can get into a cheap safe.

Yeah, until you get into the high dollar stuff, none of them are that tough to get into if you have a half an hour in which you can make noise undetected, a crowbar and a circular saw.

Do research on YouTube or on the site and you will find out how quickly somebody can get into a cheap safe.

That's true of any safe if you've got power tools, unlimited time, and no need to consider noise. The purpose of a safe is really just to buy time for your security alarm company to respond.

Even a cheap safe, bolting it to the floor and your studs will make it extremely difficult to break into with hand tools. Building drywall around your safe will make using power tools take significantly longer.

I've been putting this off for awhile now, but me and my g/f closed on a house yesterday so now that I
1. Have the space, and
2. Will have people coming from all over to visit us since we can put them up, Have the need for one.

I do not have nearly as many firearms as alot of you guys here, so I do not need a giant safe. One to fit maybe 3-5 long guns and a few handguns / ammo / important documents should suffice.

I've dealt with alot of safe companies / manufacturers in the past as I used to run a locksmith & door company back in NYC, but I am curious as to what you guys use, who you prefer, and so on. Lay it on me fellas. As always, much appreciated.

This will help you make a good decision.

If you don't have a lot of firearms and need to store only a few long guns, and some valuables, you should look for a medium-sized gun safe. For example Safe Guard GR-15 . But better explore how to choose best budget fireproof gun safe to understand what should you consider. Make sure you buy one that is secure and built from quality materials. It's also important to look for one with features such as fire protection, temperature control, and theft protection.

I have always believed when it comes to safes, barns, garages and storage areas. always buy or build bigger than you need at the moment.

That moment WILL change and suddenly you don't have enough room. always plan for expansion. especially with guns.

It's frightening how easy many safes can be cracked with very simple tools that make little noise.
My biggest suggestion is no matter how heavy they are bolt them to the floor and walls. Most all safes once you get them on their backs become exponentially easier to get into.

Do yourself a favor and watch some YouTube videos to gain some knowledge.
Exactly what they guy states it true. Most all safes sold at warehouse stores are already compromised due to cost, race to the bottom line in cost and profit to sell at a discount.

Don't get me wrong I'm all about a GOOD safe and the need to lock up your firearms. Many localities are now charging YOU if your firearms are stolen and used in a crime and what THEY determine how proper due diligence was not used in securing them. That proper "due diligence" many time is left up to the district attorney's office and we all know many are trying to just make their bones to move up and become a judge or worse. Either way even if you think you've done your part and are found at trial that you did, you're still out ten's of thousands of dollars to prove your innocence.

There are many great safes out there and they will deliver to your residence and put them where you need them. It's worth the cost. I've found that you seem to always need bigger than you think after 5-7 yrs of "growth" 😉

Unless you just have armed guards and a safe that that's impenetrable. most safes are to keep the honest folks honest. if a thief that knows his stuff can get anything you own. they won't do it while you are there and will come prepared to do it quick. BUT everything that you do to deter them sometimes makes them move to an easier target.

Unless you just have armed guards and a safe that that's impenetrable. most safes are to keep the honest folks honest. if a thief that knows his stuff can get anything you own. they won't do it while you are there and will come prepared to do it quick. BUT everything that you do to deter them sometimes makes them move to an easier target.
Very true I spent 500.00 on a off brand safe I wanted to make sure it’s a half hour fire safe other than that if a theft wanted anything in it he will get it with enough time

Back