testtest

gun transfers between family members who live out of your state

223kid

Elite
Founding Member
I have purchased a derringer from a family member who lives out of state. I could not transfer it there because I am not a resident of that state. From reading the ATF rules this is a no no, which we were both unaware of. I brought the gun home with me. now what. My local gun shop said I could transfer it when that person comes to visit me. To me this is unacceptable . I cannot carry or do anything with this gun. I do not know if the family member will be able to come to my home state. Sure is hard for law abiding citizen to do the right thing. There should be a rule in place that allows this to occur after the gun serial number is checked for not being stolen. any thoughts my fellow firearm enthusiasts.

I have purchased a derringer from a family member who lives out of state. I could not transfer it there because I am not a resident of that state. From reading the ATF rules this is a no no, which we were both unaware of. I brought the gun home with me. now what. My local gun shop said I could transfer it when that person comes to visit me. To me this is unacceptable . I cannot carry or do anything with this gun. I do not know if the family member will be able to come to my home state. Sure is hard for law abiding citizen to do the right thing. There should be a rule in place that allows this to occur after the gun serial number is checked for not being stolen. any thoughts my fellow firearm enthusiasts.
My understanding is an FFL from the state of sale can transfer to another FFL in the state to be sold. So your family member would need to bring the firearm to a licensed FFL in his home state to be shipped to an FFL in your state so you can legally aquire it. I am not a lawyer or professional on this matter nor is this info legal advice or any kind. This is something you would need to do if you lived in a state like Massachusetts.

Good luck!

the state of Georgia is where the owner lives and I the recipient live in Pennsylvania. That is only going to help with state laws( which should not even be in existence but are)
I was in that state as we had a family medical emergency and I brought the gun home with me.
10mm life, please explain to me why I should have to ffl to ffl beside it being the rule. Who is rich enough to pay an ffl in another state and come home and pay ffl in your home state. I was there , I brought it home. I have a bill of sale and in the land of gun oppression "it ain't enough"

My understanding is an FFL from the state of sale can transfer to another FFL in the state to be sold. So your family member would need to bring the firearm to a licensed FFL in his home state to be shipped to an FFL in your state so you can legally aquire it. I am not a lawyer or professional on this matter nor is this info legal advice or any kind. This is something you would need to do if you lived in a state like Massachusetts.

Good luck!
That's what I was thinking 10mmLife. A local FFL by the relative or one by 223kid may be able to answer more accurately once knowing the States that would be involved.

I believe as far as transporting that comes under federal rulings. As long as it's secured. What does PA require for a personal sale of firearms I wonder.

The only way we can do a private transfer is if both buyer and seller is present with valid ID and the gun itself. In addition to ID, we would need your son-in-law to be present to fill out a section of the PA record-of-sale form and to sign and date both PA ROS and federal forms. The only other option would be to have the gun shipped from an FFL holder in Georgia and sent to an FFL holder in PA (rates vary at different shops, but we charge $50 for FFL-to-FFL transfers per gun, and $25 for person-to-person transfers
Direct quote from a Pennsylvania FFL

How come I can't just go in the shop. Let the FFL holder log it into their inventory and then I put it in my name. How come that is not an option?? Aye,yigh,yi

the state of Georgia is where the owner lives and I the recipient live in Pennsylvania. That is only going to help with state laws( which should not even be in existence but are)
I was in that state as we had a family medical emergency and I brought the gun home with me.
10mm life, please explain to me why I should have to ffl to ffl beside it being the rule. Who is rich enough to pay an ffl in another state and come home and pay ffl in your home state. I was there , I brought it home. I have a bill of sale and in the land of gun oppression "it ain't enough"
I'm not telling you what to do I'm just saying that's what I would of had to do to remain legal in my former state. As far as the laws are concerned I personally try and remain a law abiding citizen as not to have my rights or freedom trampled further no matter how unpopular that law is currently. You are an individual with your own ideas that I will not try and dissuade. If we are speaking about laws that go against our basic rights that is a different topic and there is a platform for that called voting and protesting. The world is not a perfect one but it's the only one we have.
Good luck with your endeavors.

We can build "ghost guns but we can't transfer a production gun. What a world we live in

This sheds some light on the stance from the state of Georgia side of things:

All that said, here's the deal. I gave my 22 year old daughter a Ruger LC380 for Christmas a year ago when she was 21, as a gift. I didn't sell it to her, but the principal of transfer is the same. I purchased the gun, wrapped it up, put it under the tree. She has now had it for a year. Nothing prevents her from moving to another state and taking that little pistol with her.

I don't see how its any different than my 1905 S&W M&P .38 6" revolver. It was my great grandfather's (a sheriff in the early 1900's), then my grandfather's, then my uncle's (my mother's brother), and then he gave it to me before he died, as he had no children. At some point, I will give it to my son. Not very soon I hope! Anyway, there never was or has been a bill of sale or was one required, or an FFL transfer, for that pistol that has been in the family for over a hundred years. It's never been sold, just gifted from one generation to the next. I've had it for the past 25 years.

I guess the question is whether guns are "registered" in Georgia or in Pennsylvania. I am pretty certain they are not in Georgia, at least they were not when I lived there (where my family is from). The real intent of the law is ensuring that an out of state party goes through a background check, but if it had been to an in-state individual, there would be no such requirement. If you had been a Georgia resident, purchased the gun from a family member, then left the state, there would be no issue and no FFL requirement.

Personally, I don't see how the lack of an FFL transfer on the gun you got from a relative out of state will ever come up, unless you embark on a crime spree with a 2 shot derringer. If you want to make it "right", then next time you go to Georgia, take it in the trunk in a locked case, get your relative there to go to a local FFL with you, and have them ship it to an FFL in PA.

Me? I would just put it in my gun safe, carry it, shoot it, whatever. Not even sure I would want to hold an "incriminating" bill of sale... and I will stop there.

Thank you for your input Jmorris. In Pennsylvania you better not get caught carrying a gun not registered to you.
Not my laws , theirs. Trust me, if they feel ;like it they will call in every gun you have on your person or car or motorcycle, making sure that it is yours. Been there ,done that! I would never carry heirlooms in any place.

Thank you for your input Jmorris. In Pennsylvania you better not get caught carrying a gun not registered to you.
Not my laws , theirs. Trust me, if they feel ;like it they will call in every gun you have on your person or car or motorcycle, making sure that it is yours. Been there ,done that! I would never carry heirlooms in any place.

Well, it sure sounds like the issue is on the PA side of this equation then. So glad I live in Alabama now where there is no such thing as firearm registration. So sorry you are dealing with this mess.

thanks. I will eventually prevail. I too lived in Georgia for many years. So long ago I don't even remember when I bought that new model Ruger blackhawk in 45lc with the extra 45acp, nor do i remember what transpired when i bought my weatherby vangaurd in 300 win mag. Just like women, remember them well, just can't remember how I got em ! LOL

Well, it sure sounds like the issue is on the PA side of this equation then. So glad I live in Alabama now where there is no such thing as firearm registration. So sorry you are dealing with this mess.
I am glad I live in the south and I'm sorry you are having to endure the hoops you are having to jump through to do the right thing 223kid.

Back