testtest

Gun Values on the Rise

i have been considering selling my Korth Mongoose, 6", silver DLC, 357 mag/38 special for some time.

they are not making that gun, in that coating anymore, and the newest model they have is at about $10,000...!!

i'll "hold on" to this one until the spring/summer of next year, and decide then, keep it, or auction it off.

i'll most likely keep my Python, and S&W 686 +

(i am also keeping the rounds count low, on all my revolvers)

I sold a pair of Ruger Vaquero Sheriffs models for $950 a few years back. They're going for about that each now. Maybe 15 years ago I sold an 1894 Marlin carbine for about $450 and today is worth around $1200.
Recent inflation besides Covid affecting production, could ramp up prices in the 15-25% range. I would think the only downward pressure on price would be the plethora of brand's offerings.

I bought a bunch of Glock pistols for cheap several years ago, their increased value makes them excellent for trades today.
which is kinda interesting...

many slightly used guns, or never used (like the one i bought last summer), are up for sale at many LGS's.

for the prices those used guns are going for, a little extra money, gets someone brand new, full warranty.

now of course, i am speaking of the Glocks, and other lower to mid priced polymers.

With a majority of these being revolvers it makes me wonder what my dads old S&W 38 special is worth, I need to start looking for new grips. I’m smart enough to understand these high prices are based on the number of guns made based on model and popularity but wow!

What model .38? It’ll depend on condition and what it has with it (box, papers, etc), of course, but a really nice older Model 10 (or pre—10 M&P) can bring in really good money…and they were by far the most common models.

I know I traded a cop trade in Glock 22 that I bought for $249 and a $89 9mm conversion barrel for a VG/E S&W 681 no dash with case & paperwork last year…

which is kinda interesting...

many slightly used guns, or never used (like the one i bought last summer), are up for sale at many LGS's.

for the prices those used guns are going for, a little extra money, gets someone brand new, full warranty.

now of course, i am speaking of the Glocks, and other lower to mid priced polymers.
A lot of gun buyers (I’m definitely one of them) couldn’t care less about warranties. Odds are you won’t ever need it.

Additionally, I also know a used gun usually has wiggle room in the price, where a new gun doesn’t…so, for example, if I see a new Glock 17 for $550, and a used, LN G17 for $475…I know I can likely get the used one for under $450, saving $100. I also know that the odds of it ever needing factory work is exceedingly low…and any minor work I can do myself, as I’ve taken the armorers course…and even if I hadn’t, Glocks are caveman simple to work on.

What model .38? It’ll depend on condition and what it has with it (box, papers, etc), of course, but a really nice older Model 10 (or pre—10 M&P) can bring in really good money…and they were by far the most common models.

I know I traded a cop trade in Glock 22 that I bought for $249 and a $89 9mm conversion barrel for a VG/E S&W 681 no dash with case & paperwork last year…
Just the gun, I found it in a metal box while cleaning out the basement after he passed away. Almost threw the box in dumpster before opening it 🤦‍♂️ The metal of the gun is in very good shape but the grips are badly worn, you and other forum members helped me identify more about the gun a few months back but for now it sits in my nightstand drawer as a backup.

Your Glocks don’t qualify 🤪🤪🤪🤪
6DCE9963-8CF9-4CD7-90FE-33838CDBEC4F.gif

A lot of gun buyers (I’m definitely one of them) couldn’t care less about warranties. Odds are you won’t ever need it.

Additionally, I also know a used gun usually has wiggle room in the price, where a new gun doesn’t…so, for example, if I see a new Glock 17 for $550, and a used, LN G17 for $475…I know I can likely get the used one for under $450, saving $100. I also know that the odds of it ever needing factory work is exceedingly low…and any minor work I can do myself, as I’ve taken the armorers course…and even if I hadn’t, Glocks are caveman simple to work on.
well, here is why i'd like a warranty, and yeah, at the same time, i did not use it, but i should have..

this is a picture of my G-17, gen 4..

i bought it new, but the trigger just did not feel right, it felt kinda heavy...

what it was, the trigger bar, was rubbing up against the frame. the frame was like, "bent-in" to the trigger bar.

now, common sense, for me, would have been to ship it back to Glock (under a new warranty), and have them hopefully ship me a new Glock 17.

i think what happened was, when the frame got "ejected??" from the mold, maybe it landed on another frame, while warm, and this caused the "bent-in" condition..as it cooled....??

so what i did was, i took it apart, and mind you, it was my very first gun, like i thought i knew what i was doing, and i filed down the "rub tabs" inside that area, to give the trigger bar free movement.

gun runs like a, well, Glock...

but for the sake of not messing things up, i could have just shipped it back to Glock

AGCaxd61SCRoWcACIeYnnD1uzPy8-rsmWRrSzZDs1Iy2iKzN_bZebjj1nX1e1AKs-Q1lnrVMHMJAc7Na5rd3vKkSo7kLBmBndD5xuV507w8fiut6qAfS9d4x0ihqgQLXCg3cB-yWRixFtbasYgZVxJZaZCJM31Mbju55ZbIjyY08-Q4NBVWcuLhKlTMF_-OqIvhwnpzqkVs87sA9Q8E3gQdH8i5MmdzEAz5eH9RUMjstXo18Fw4WRjojziDoiceKnzyUhFFvWsU2MBHJyK7RJiofzqd1LlkP97DAGNKTB0OWOzd0BTEIq0-3D2Q4AViIEIRFUjoXy4d40mgQx3B7sS1kI2flBz38olejR-vw0J2H3raxAQuWNLCLLazFCgAlhI30LYONp5C-e-RzbW37gu5gcNIbZf1OrKDV0qcRpOBgCwSwXCNMsJDbGM9ERfz5BPDsGI5aARJoikCV6PGZ9Hk9l9EyOLXHMAumTH5En6ZY1B1jxNnxeLBHHTdQkzOERBOG7NMUUk4nTtsrX5lquyG-Sr9Ktq4kSuCe14WBd7cbyRC7kEWy9S0d1vGJpfrcdixRRz3x49xEhQz4NVghFuH-AIgJX_KMe4zcd6P62gDsb7DaP-wwaD96-I9NP-7TNpJ-eWTpyA7h9sf74I9T-QS9P5zjmZZNyX-UogGEBRgwX2nyHyfkCE-l7lp0LILwygJd2ZXswQ1dVfcbRk9J16k=w1250-h937-no

so since i have high(er) dollar/value 1911's, i will ship them back to the factory for any repairs/defects...which (knock on wood), each and every gun i own, of all calibers, they run as flawlessly as possible.

but to me, still good to have a full factory warranty

well, here is why i'd like a warranty, and yeah, at the same time, i did not use it, but i should have..

this is a picture of my G-17, gen 4..

i bought it new, but the trigger just did not feel right, it felt kinda heavy...

what it was, the trigger bar, was rubbing up against the frame. the frame was like, "bent-in" to the trigger bar.

now, common sense, for me, would have been to ship it back to Glock (under a new warranty), and have them hopefully ship me a new Glock 17.

i think what happened was, when the frame got "ejected??" from the mold, maybe it landed on another frame, while warm, and this caused the "bent-in" condition..as it cooled....??

so what i did was, i took it apart, and mind you, it was my very first gun, like i thought i knew what i was doing, and i filed down the "rub tabs" inside that area, to give the trigger bar free movement.

gun runs like a, well, Glock...

but for the sake of not messing things up, i could have just shipped it back to Glock

AGCaxd61SCRoWcACIeYnnD1uzPy8-rsmWRrSzZDs1Iy2iKzN_bZebjj1nX1e1AKs-Q1lnrVMHMJAc7Na5rd3vKkSo7kLBmBndD5xuV507w8fiut6qAfS9d4x0ihqgQLXCg3cB-yWRixFtbasYgZVxJZaZCJM31Mbju55ZbIjyY08-Q4NBVWcuLhKlTMF_-OqIvhwnpzqkVs87sA9Q8E3gQdH8i5MmdzEAz5eH9RUMjstXo18Fw4WRjojziDoiceKnzyUhFFvWsU2MBHJyK7RJiofzqd1LlkP97DAGNKTB0OWOzd0BTEIq0-3D2Q4AViIEIRFUjoXy4d40mgQx3B7sS1kI2flBz38olejR-vw0J2H3raxAQuWNLCLLazFCgAlhI30LYONp5C-e-RzbW37gu5gcNIbZf1OrKDV0qcRpOBgCwSwXCNMsJDbGM9ERfz5BPDsGI5aARJoikCV6PGZ9Hk9l9EyOLXHMAumTH5En6ZY1B1jxNnxeLBHHTdQkzOERBOG7NMUUk4nTtsrX5lquyG-Sr9Ktq4kSuCe14WBd7cbyRC7kEWy9S0d1vGJpfrcdixRRz3x49xEhQz4NVghFuH-AIgJX_KMe4zcd6P62gDsb7DaP-wwaD96-I9NP-7TNpJ-eWTpyA7h9sf74I9T-QS9P5zjmZZNyX-UogGEBRgwX2nyHyfkCE-l7lp0LILwygJd2ZXswQ1dVfcbRk9J16k=w1250-h937-no

so since i have high(er) dollar/value 1911's, i will ship them back to the factory for any repairs/defects...which (knock on wood), each and every gun i own, of all calibers, they run as flawlessly as possible.

but to me, still good to have a full factory warranty

Fair enough.

And yes, should my Baer or Wilson ever need work, it will return to the mothership (even though the Wilson is used).

And, asides from a Taurus (lifetime warranty, at the time…) which needed work (boy, did it!) that I bought used, I’ve only sent one gun in for work, a S&W 329 Night Guard that was getting light primer strikes. That was new, and no charge…but, I also have a VERY good gunsmith on tap that would have done the upgrade for a nominal charge (it was simply replacing the factory bushing firing pin with an aftermarket…).

Most gun warranties expire in a very short time (Springfield, credit where credit is due, is NOT one, however), and guns I have had issues that might have required work with were out of warranty, and either got repaired by yours truly, by the aforementioned gunsmith for less than shipping would have cost, or were sold/traded with full disclosure.

Collectable is in the eye of the beholder. The KSG25 I paid $800 for brand new from PSA a couple years ago is up about 2k right now. Or last I checked anyway. If I wait long enough I may be able to trade it for a Benelli M4. :ROFLMAO:
It depends on the market area. One won't get $2K for a KSG of any model in my area. Still out-of-staters are surprised with the availability here.

The market here has slowed down a bit, ammo & firearms sales have decreased based on my conversations with LGS operators. Some niche items in ammo & firearms still sell but that's a limited buyer group.

But considering my state has one of the highest per capita firearms ownership I'm not surprised since we're loaded up already.

Back