testtest

Handgun Hunting: Top 5 Big-Game Cartridges.

Never pistol hunted for big game. Only close in hogs as back up weapon.

in looking at most big game pistol cartridges , it appears almost all have a +/-range of max 100 yards and an avg drop off around 5”.
Makes it like bow hunting with a handgun 😆

Never pistol hunted for big game. Only close in hogs as back up weapon.

in looking at most big game pistol cartridges , it appears almost all have a +/-range of max 100 yards and an avg drop off around 5”.
Makes it like bow hunting with a handgun 😆

I can reach out alot further than 100, and flatter, with my 7mm-08 handgun. Identical to this w/o the horns.

K0cRKHB.jpg

Some 30 years ago, I jumped aboard the handgun hunting rage. I bought a 6" Model 629. I found out in a huge hurry that to become proficient to hunt Rocky Mountain mule deer with it required a lot of range time, at least monthly, more frequently preferably. I didn't have required time to devote to attaining proficiency required to hunt with it. It served no other purpose. I sold it. No regrets.

The .357 Mag with either 180 bonded hollow points or hard cast bullets is extremely powerful. There's no doubt in my mind that with the right bullet and within its effective range, a .357 Mag revolver fill tags for North America's largest antlered game. The caveat is proper bullet placement. A 180 grain .357 Mag that destroys any antlered game's oxygenated blood pumping equipment will kill it just as dead as a .375 H&H Mag.

After morning hunts when big bucks take to napping in dense forests, a lightweight, fast handling 16" barreled .44 Rem Mag would be perfect. It's all stalking known bedding areas and very fast jump shooting at close range. I'd prefer an 1894 in my hands and at the ready position to a handgun for jump shooting bedded bucks. At that, getting a shot at a jumped bedded buck in thick stuff is more prayer than reality.

When I hunted with a handgun, I used a T/C Contender in .375JDJ, for deer and such, hunted on my dads private property, for varmints, I used the same Contender but in .223Rem.

Hi Annihilator,

I remember the .375 JDJ cartridge. Wasn't it developed by a gun writer? The .375 JDJ was more than powerful enough for everything, including the biggest and meanest bears, in North America. It was extremey popular among handgun hunters. Is it still around?

Hi Annihilator,

I remember the .375 JDJ cartridge. Wasn't it developed by a gun writer? The .375 JDJ was more than powerful enough for everything, including the biggest and meanest bears, in North America. It was extremey popular among handgun hunters. Is it still around?
J.D. Jones of SSK Industries in Wintersville, Ohio. I knew JD and several of his gunsmiths, plus a good friend of mine was real tight with JD, I think its still around, it was designed to take any game animal around.

I can reach out alot further than 100, and flatter, with my 7mm-08 handgun. Identical to this w/o the horns.

View attachment 13381
I live in a handgun/slug zone when it comes to deer hunting; one of my buddies hunts up in the glacial ridge area (where the last ice age stopped, starts a couple miles north of me). Mostly hilly, open grassland—longer shots are the norm. He uses a Striker in .300WSM and a 12” barrel (and some form of suppressor...can’t remember what). Takes deer out to 250-300 yards with it, no problem.

I live in a handgun/slug zone when it comes to deer hunting; one of my buddies hunts up in the glacial ridge area (where the last ice age stopped, starts a couple miles north of me). Mostly hilly, open grassland—longer shots are the norm. He uses a Striker in .300WSM and a 12” barrel (and some form of suppressor...can’t remember what). Takes deer out to 250-300 yards with it, no problem.

Sounds like a nice option especially if he's using a longer suppressor in the 10in range. With the lack of barrel length the suppressor will help the powder reach full burn for increased velocity on such a short barrel with a high powered round.

Back