testtest

Handguns — Manual Thumb Safety, or No?

When I worked as a security guard my employers required me to carry the gun that they issued. Depending on the company it was either an M&P 40 or Glock 23. Neither one had a manual safety.

I decided that I would be better off standardizing on one action or another so I went with Striker Fired. I don't own any pistols with a manual safety.

A 1911 without a manual safety would be an Abomination before God and man

for me, NO thumb safety or decocker...

i do not seek out guns with safeties, but if a model comes with one, such as a 1911...oh well........i'm still buying a 1911

otherwise, i had a choice of a safety or not, on my recent S&W M&P 45, and went none.

All of my carry autos have a thumb safety…or something similar (eg, when I’m feeling fancy and carry a P7).

I’ve never missed taking off a safety when hunting, I’ve never missed the safety in practice…when shooting autos without one, I’ve noticed that I “swipe off” a nonexistent safety on a draw.

Just practice with what you carry.

Food fight!
food-fight-dont.jpg

For me, a striker fired carry gun must have a manual safety. I train and am comfortable with my choice.

A hammer fired handgun doesn’t need a manual safety provided it’s DA/SA and has a decocker.

I won’t get into defending my view or convincing anyone, and I’m just a nobody. But instead I’d point folks to acknowledged experts like Massad Ayoob.

This is my safety
The problem is people make mistakes. People aren’t perfect. And usually a ND isn’t caused by someone pulling the trigger with their finger.

It’s a personal choice, but the whole “my finger is my safety” neglects to consider clothing catching or other ways that triggers get pulled without the finger.

The problem is people make mistakes. People aren’t perfect. And usually a ND isn’t caused by someone pulling the trigger with their finger.

It’s a personal choice, but the whole “my finger is my safety” neglects to consider clothing catching or other ways that triggers get pulled without the finger.
Did you see the movie?

Back