testtest

Hanging Fire: Top 5 Failed Ammo Tech

Great article. I've an amateur Historian interest in the period from 1850 to the 1920's. A fascinating 70 year period, where small arms would forever change how Firearms functioned, propellant chemistry, ignition systems, and everything under the sun. The failures are as important as the successes. Every concept that didn't work, for whatever the reason, has advanced the science.

5 unique concepts that didn't work out. Thank you for an enjoyable read.

This reminds me of yet another "Failed" technology, although this was the bullet, not the whole cartridge. I refer to Aquila's "Intelli-rounds" that were out in the late eighties. While the cartridge was plain-Jane, the bullet was designed to do one of two things when it hit something. If the "something" was wet and squishy (flesh and blood) the bullet would fragment into three pieces and a base, doing above-caliber damage to the unfortunate recipient of said round. If the "something" was hard-surfaced, then the nose of the round would collapse, allowing maximum penetration. Back then, I tried a couple of 9mm boxes and yeah, when I shot a melon, the melon exploded. When I shot a water-filled can (old gas can) there was a small entry hole and a small exit hole, so the bullets did as advartised.
Sadly, the idea wasn't successful and vanished. When it comes to regular rounds, I guess standard hollow points can do as much, but having a round that could adapt to what it hit was, and still is, an idea worth considering. My guess is that a .32acp round with an Intelli-round bullet could be as effective as a 9mm round and a .380acp round could mimic a light loaded .40 or .44...but that's guesswork since these rounds are no longer made. Pity that, since at 70+, my 9mm is getting to be a bit of a struggle to cycle, but that's life.

This reminds me of yet another "Failed" technology, although this was the bullet, not the whole cartridge. I refer to Aquila's "Intelli-rounds" that were out in the late eighties. While the cartridge was plain-Jane, the bullet was designed to do one of two things when it hit something. If the "something" was wet and squishy (flesh and blood) the bullet would fragment into three pieces and a base, doing above-caliber damage to the unfortunate recipient of said round. If the "something" was hard-surfaced, then the nose of the round would collapse, allowing maximum penetration. Back then, I tried a couple of 9mm boxes and yeah, when I shot a melon, the melon exploded. When I shot a water-filled can (old gas can) there was a small entry hole and a small exit hole, so the bullets did as advartised.
Sadly, the idea wasn't successful and vanished. When it comes to regular rounds, I guess standard hollow points can do as much, but having a round that could adapt to what it hit was, and still is, an idea worth considering. My guess is that a .32acp round with an Intelli-round bullet could be as effective as a 9mm round and a .380acp round could mimic a light loaded .40 or .44...but that's guesswork since these rounds are no longer made. Pity that, since at 70+, my 9mm is getting to be a bit of a struggle to cycle, but that's life.
Like you said....all hollow points do that, it wasn't anything special about that IQ (that's what Aguila marketed it under).

JHP's need a liquid to force expansion. Shoot something like drywall, and the nose typically plugs and acts like a FMJ.

Trust me, that melon wouldn't have exploded any less if you shot it with a regular JHP moving at a similar velocity, and the metal can would have show zero expansion as well.

Bullet makers keep trying to come up with gimmicks claiming to be the "New, Game Changing" bullet technology that makes all others obsolete...Glaser, RCBS, DRT, MagSafe, "Civil Defense", those ridiculous "Fang-Face SWAT" rounds...the latest are the screwdriver tip "Fluid transfer magic vortex" rounds like Honey Badger, etc...they all fall short. They all end up in the dustbin of failed rounds.

Want to know what really works? Go with what the pros use...and that's a premium JHP.

…quite possibly the most interesting article I’ve read here - all those arcane ideas !

Some were pretty good ideas - but what wins out? VHS or Beta ?!?
If you want to know what wins out @TidalWave , just ask which one I purchased and do the opposite.
VHS or Beta: I chose the Sony Beta Max 🤦‍♂️. Eventually I bought several VHS players after that format won out.
Cassette or 8-Track: I chose eight track 🤦‍♂️. I even bought a 8-track recorder that let me record my vinyl albums to 8-track. It was fun while it lasted. 🤷‍♂️:D😆

I know the prob, Bet…

Worries me a little, as my preferred pistol caliber is .45…. And look at everything/everyone going 9 these days….
Like the .38 S&W Spl before it, the 9mm seems to be the most shootable round out there. It's just what people are most comfortable shooting. My lady thinks my .45acp stuff kicks too hard but she likes all my 9mm stuff, even the +P loads. That which the majority likes best, does best. P.S. She won't even try my 10mm stuff...

Like you said....all hollow points do that, it wasn't anything special about that IQ (that's what Aguila marketed it under).

JHP's need a liquid to force expansion. Shoot something like drywall, and the nose typically plugs and acts like a FMJ.

Trust me, that melon wouldn't have exploded any less if you shot it with a regular JHP moving at a similar velocity, and the metal can would have show zero expansion as well.

Bullet makers keep trying to come up with gimmicks claiming to be the "New, Game Changing" bullet technology that makes all others obsolete...Glaser, RCBS, DRT, MagSafe, "Civil Defense", those ridiculous "Fang-Face SWAT" rounds...the latest are the screwdriver tip "Fluid transfer magic vortex" rounds like Honey Badger, etc...they all fall short. They all end up in the dustbin of failed rounds.

Want to know what really works? Go with what the pros use...and that's a premium JHP.
I do. Good solid fmj for practice and Winchester for carry. Works for me.

I hear ya TW, that's why I have several of both calibers with some 10mm sprinkled in :sneaky:. But I can probably count on one hand, the number of 40 caliber firearms I own.
Oh you poor thing. You only own ( probably) 5 handguns in a caliber you don't particularly care for ? Have you considered a GoFundMe ? Guys, we should all pitch in a few bucks and buy Bet7 a couple more .40s. 🤣🤣:geek:

For the record one of my main ( summer) carry guns is a .40 and it is a great shooter. It's also the most concealable handgun I own. At the time my choices ( M&P Shield ) were .40 and 9mm. And at the time I was not interested at all in owning a 9mm. In fact unless it's high capacity ( say 17 ) I am most likely still not interested in buying more 9MMs. Well, other than possibly a nice 1911 in 9mm. Not that I have anything against 9mm ( anymore) it's just not my favorite round. Eventually S&W brought out the Shield in .45 ACP, which I immediately bought and is my primary summer carry gun.

Oh you poor thing. You only own ( probably) 5 handguns in a caliber you don't particularly care for ? Have you considered a GoFundMe ? Guys, we should all pitch in a few bucks and buy Bet7 a couple more .40s. 🤣🤣:geek:
Well Bob, 1) I didn't ever say I didn't care for 40 Calibers, only that I have less than 6 :sneaky:. and 2) A GoFundMe would help immensely, as my last three purchases were quite pricey (FosTech Tomcat w/ Binary Trigger, Beretta M9, and a PTR 9CT (Clone of the HK SP5 full size version. Giving me PTR clones of the SP5 in Full (9CT) and Kurz (9KT) sizes in addition to my actual HK SP5 full size pistol).
So I appreciate you graciously volunteering to set up a GoFundMe site. Let me know how it's coming along and when I can get my funds 💰💵, so I can eagerly go out and add some 40's to my meager collection 💸;):LOL::ROFLMAO:

Well Bob, 1) I didn't ever say I didn't care for 40 Calibers, only that I have less than 6 :sneaky:. and 2) A GoFundMe would help immensely, as my last three purchases were quite pricey (FosTech Tomcat w/ Binary Trigger, Beretta M9, and a PTR 9CT (Clone of the HK SP5 full size version. Giving me PTR clones of the SP5 in Full (9CT) and Kurz (9KT) sizes in addition to my actual HK SP5 full size pistol).
So I appreciate you graciously volunteering to set up a GoFundMe site. Let me know how it's coming along and when I can get my funds 💰💵, so I can eagerly go out and add some 40's to my meager collection 💸;):LOL::ROFLMAO:
Somehow brother I don't think a GFM for you to buy a new gun would be all that successful around here. :unsure::ROFLMAO:

You know, I consider myself not to be a jealous or covetous person, but you definitely are testing my limits. :)

For the record one of my main ( summer) carry guns is a .40 and it is a great shooter. It's also the most concealable handgun I own. At the time my choices ( M&P Shield ) were .40 and 9mm. And at the time I was not interested at all in owning a 9mm. In fact unless it's high capacity ( say 17 ) I am most likely still not interested in buying more 9MMs. Well, other than possibly a nice 1911 in 9mm. Not that I have anything against 9mm ( anymore) it's just not my favorite round. Eventually S&W brought out the Shield in .45 ACP, which I immediately bought and is my primary summer carry gun.
I hear ya. I own the V1 Performance Center Ported Shields in 9mm, 40 and 45. I also own the M&P 2.0 Compacts in 9mm and 40 (and ordered the 45 version last August, but I think that got delayed by their introduction of the Sheild Plus, so who knows when I'll get that one). My other 40's are the Beretta Px4 Storm, and Kel-Tec Sub2000 (which I also own in 9mm). That may be it for 40's, my memory seems to be a bit vague while remembering my limited firearm collection :sneaky:

I hear ya. I own the V1 Performance Center Ported Shields in 9mm, 40 and 45. I also own the M&P 2.0 Compacts in 9mm and 40 (and ordered the 45 version last August, but I think that got delayed by their introduction of the Sheild Plus, so who knows when I'll get that one). My other 40's are the Beretta Px4 Storm, and Kel-Tec Sub2000 (which I also own in 9mm). That may be it for 40's, my memory seems to be a bit vague while remembering my limited firearm collection :sneaky:
My .40 is a V1 PC version. My .45 is a V2, but not a PC version.

Somehow brother I don't think a GFM for you to buy a new gun would be all that successful around here. :unsure::ROFLMAO:

You know, I consider myself not to be a jealous or covetous person, but you definitely are testing my limits. :)
Yeah, I figured this group on here to be "cautious" with their finances, to put it nicely :sneaky:. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if when they open their wallets, moths fly out and all the "dead Presidents" are wearing sunglasses. :LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

A couple more thoughts on .40. While my PC Shield is a damn fine shooting, very concealable and accurate little gun, I don't think I would go out of my way to buy another .40. At the time it just seemed the lessor of two evils. I'm still glad I opted for it over the 9mm, although if we were talking about the Shield Plus I might have went the other way.

And here is how we know supply and demand isn't the main driver behind current ammo prices. No way in hell .40 is more popular than 9mm yet it is a lot more expensive.

Back