testtest

Happy first day of fall...

Morning temps now in mid 50’s, but still going to be over 100 during the day. I’m looking for an early Autumn. I’m near Gunsite in Arizona.

I guess I have to get out more as I wasn't aware of meteorological seasons before the OP. 😴 However, I find the meteorological seasons to be more in line with what we see here in the upper plains.

The Astronomical Seasons are based on the annual changes in the tilt of the Earth, aka the soltices and equinoxes. None of that is regular and vary from year to year since that tilting and Earths orbit around the Sun also varies.

The Seasons, the Equinox, and the Solstices

Why Does the March Equinox Fall on Different Dates?

Why the Autumnal Equinox Doesn't Fall on the Same Day Every Year

Even though the meteorologists talk and announce the longest/shortest times of the year, as well as the so-called beginning of seasons based on them, the meteorologists base all their seasonal weather averages on the meteorological seasons, which they admit follows seasonal changes far better than the astronomical seasons that have been around forever.

Plus, splitting the 12 month year into four 3-month parts makes things more uniform for measuring year-to-year changes.

All this works very well in those parts of the country that have distinct seasonal weather changes vs. those parts of the country that are less so.

Prehistoric peoples measured and celebrated the astronomical seasons.

Marking the winter solstice...

I call the astronomical seasons the "pagan" seasons, although I dread the shortening of day light, and look forward to the days getting longer.

My .02

Last edited:
Back