testtest

Hard Cast Bullets Through A Glock?

I've had my G 20 for over 25 years and have been a 10mm fan even longer. Long before it became popular. Now the 10mm seems to be the "new thing" in pistols, or at least it seems like it to me. Whatever, I've never been one to jump on the ban wagon so the popularity of the cartridge dosent bother me one way or another. Like I mentioned earlier. I'm an OG 10mm shooter! I like the way the cartridge performs on several different levels depending on the load, I'm comfortable shooting it, I'm fairly accurate with it in both my G20 and 1911, And it's plenty of gun for harvesting black tails at close range. For me close range at a deer with a pistol is no further than 30 or 40 yards. I'm just not confident enough with a pistol to try and place a good shot and make a clean fast kill any further than that. Anyways...
While at the pistol range about ten years ago. I was firing my G20 and an old friend of mine's father who had an FFL and the same man my father and I bought our G20's through showed up at the range also. He saw my Glock and asked "is that one of the 10mm's I sold you and your dad years ago"? I said "yes it is Less. I'm trying some factory hard cast loads today" He said "Be careful, I heard it's not good to shoot hard cast through glock barrels"! I took his advice with a grain of salt and tried them anyways. After firing only one round. I knew something wasn't right. There was a tremendous amount of muzzle flash and breach flash! It didn't sound normal either. I immediately striped the pistol an inspected the parts and pieces for damage. I didn't see any thing that caught my eye so I reassembled the pistol and went back to shooting the normal factory copper jacketed bullets I always have and haven't shot hard cast through my Glock ever since. I have also heard even soft lead wad cutters are not good for G barrels. I'm not sure about soft lead projectiles, but Im not going to try it to find out!
A friend of mine bought a G20 the other day and a box of hard cast. The first five rounds through the brand new pistol caused the gun to grenade in his hand and completly destroyed the firearm! Have any of you guys heard or seen anything the same or similar to this?

My friends brand new G20 after the fifth of only five hard cast bullets through the new pistol!
IMG_2516.jpegIMG_2517.jpegIMG_2515.jpeg

Holy cow !!
That is crazy on the Glock.
Guess it was true.
Hope he is ok !!!

I run hadcast thru my S/A 1911 with no issue, but usually only first 2 rounds. Rest of mag are reg rounds.
Yeah, like I said. I've only put one through my Glock and after experiencing what I saw, heard and felt during discharge. It only took that one time to convince me not to shoot hard cast through my Glock ever again. I could actually feel the grip expand and twist a little bit In my hand. Not much but definitely enough to notice and also realize that it wasn't normal. My 1911 will fire them but I've also had casings from hard cast factory loads get stuck in the chamber of my 1911. I just stay away from hard cast now. As far as I'm concerned. Hard cast bullets in an auto loading pistol are good for nothing!

You shouldn’t run any lead bullets through a Glock, it has polygonal rifling, leading will build up on this type of rifling fast and cause issues, Glock will tell you no and when I did my class for being a Glock armorer, they said no, but it’s your gun do as you wish, I’m just telling you what I was told

You shouldn’t run any lead bullets through a Glock, it has polygonal rifling, leading will build up on this type of rifling fast and cause issues, Glock will tell you no and when I did my class for being a Glock armorer, they said no, but it’s your gun do as you wish, I’m just telling you what I was told
Like I said. it only took one hard cast round through my Glock to convince me it was not at all good for it! That was about ten years ago.

Does a Glock Owners Manual say not to use Hardcast rounds in a Glock?
I had my Glock for such a short period of time I don’t remember.

Link about shooting lead in a Glock, not sure about if it’s in the owners manual, but the Glock armorer course, which is taught by Glock stated never shoot lead in there pistols

Polygonal rifling seals the bullets in the bore much better than lands and groove rifling.
You should never shoot lead projectiles through them. I once shot lead SWC .45acp cartridges in my HK USP .45. Thank god that the HK is built like an EF5 storm shelter or my gun may have grenaded like the Glock. Like you after a few rounds I could feel the recoil getting MUCH MORE intense. Those few shots had left a lot of lead in the bore(you could see it). My USP was dirtier after those few rounds than had I shot 200 rds of copper jacketed through it. A LOT of lead was removed that night from just 8-10 rds.

Lesson learned.

From my experience it seems to me that most pistoleers either like glocks or don't and that's fine! It's all a matter of personal preference. I hate it when people say "Glocks are hunks of junk" or "Glocks are pieces of s**t " Simply not true and all a matter of opinion. Glocks are definitely a proven pistol and perform very well at what they were designed to do. Why do most people buy hard cast cartridges? I'll tell you why in my opinion. For protection against aggresive animals. For deep penatration and stopping power on aggressive animals. That being said. In my opinion. Once an animal, especially medium to big game becomes aggressive. It has now entered the class of "Dangerous Game". Any firearm that deliveres less than 2000 lbs of muzzle energy is not at all even close to enough gun for aggresive or dangerous animal. Not even for mature black bear or cougar in my opinion. Let me explain it like this. I can debone a deers hind quarter and break the fibula in half over my knee. I can take a leg bone off a mature brown bear and drive a 16 penny nail with it down to the head into a wood post! The average 10mm load has a 6.5gr powder charge. The Average .338 WM load has a 65gr powder charge. Ten times more than a 10mm! Almost always an aggresive and dangerous medium to big game animal has to be shot more than once with a high powered rifle. including Black Bear and Cougar. Let me make this clear. "An aggresive (basically charging in fast) Animal". Not one that is being shot from 100yrds away or further that doesn't even know you are there. Need I say more on auto loading pistols shooting hard cast for bear and cougar protection?

Last edited:
There was a video recently about a G20 that exploded on a guy in AK last week! His blew up on cam due to Buffalo Bore rounds with undersized bullets that set back upon loading, creating a catastrophic overpressure that blew out his frame in a similar fashion, although not quite as bad as your pics, Cowboy...Yikes.

There was a video recently about a G20 that exploded on a guy in AK last week! His blew up on cam due to Buffalo Bore rounds with undersized bullets that set back upon loading, creating a catastrophic overpressure that blew out his frame in a similar fashion, although not quite as bad as your pics, Cowboy...Yikes.
Are you sure it was my friends pistol? We both live in Alaska, it happened last week and he was firing Buffalo Bore! Just saying, but wether it was the same person or not I hope this doesn't happen to more Glock shooters! If it was the same person? What else can I say but "Small world" 😂

No idea who it was, or when the video was filmed, but it was an inset link on another story posted here some place...I have to do some digging. The G20 in the video I referenced was not damaged as badly as the pics you posted, so I think it's a different case. The guy's hand was scraped up a bit though...

No idea who it was, or when the video was filmed, but it was an inset link on another story posted here some place...I have to do some digging. The G20 in the video I referenced was not damaged as badly as the pics you posted, so I think it's a different case. The guy's hand was scraped up a bit though...
Could very well be a different person no doubt about it. A lot of people in Alaska pack 10mm pistols for Bear protection. All I can do is give them my advice and opinions against packing an Auto loading pistol for bear protection. When in bear county. Please please please! 🙏 "Bring enough gun" As far as a Dangerous Game gun goes? In my opinion. There is no kill like overkill!!! 😂

I've had my G 20 for over 25 years and have been a 10mm fan even longer. Long before it became popular. Now the 10mm seems to be the "new thing" in pistols, or at least it seems like it to me. Whatever, I've never been one to jump on the ban wagon so the popularity of the cartridge dosent bother me one way or another. Like I mentioned earlier. I'm an OG 10mm shooter! I like the way the cartridge performs on several different levels depending on the load, I'm comfortable shooting it, I'm fairly accurate with it in both my G20 and 1911, And it's plenty of gun for harvesting black tails at close range. For me close range at a deer with a pistol is no further than 30 or 40 yards. I'm just not confident enough with a pistol to try and place a good shot and make a clean fast kill any further than that. Anyways...
While at the pistol range about ten years ago. I was firing my G20 and an old friend of mine's father who had an FFL and the same man my father and I bought our G20's through showed up at the range also. He saw my Glock and asked "is that one of the 10mm's I sold you and your dad years ago"? I said "yes it is Less. I'm trying some factory hard cast loads today" He said "Be careful, I heard it's not good to shoot hard cast through glock barrels"! I took his advice with a grain of salt and tried them anyways. After firing only one round. I knew something wasn't right. There was a tremendous amount of muzzle flash and breach flash! It didn't sound normal either. I immediately striped the pistol an inspected the parts and pieces for damage. I didn't see any thing that caught my eye so I reassembled the pistol and went back to shooting the normal factory copper jacketed bullets I always have and haven't shot hard cast through my Glock ever since. I have also heard even soft lead wad cutters are not good for G barrels. I'm not sure about soft lead projectiles, but Im not going to try it to find out!
A friend of mine bought a G20 the other day and a box of hard cast. The first five rounds through the brand new pistol caused the gun to grenade in his hand and completly destroyed the firearm! Have any of you guys heard or seen anything the same or similar to this?

My friends brand new G20 after the fifth of only five hard cast bullets through the new pistol!
View attachment 27209View attachment 27210View attachment 27211
Didn’t mean to hit the “laughing face”. Meant to hit the “wow” one. Fat fingers.
Holy crap. Couldn’t image that happening. Is your friend okay?

Back