testtest

Has anybody ever successfully defended their family with a gun?

I have not, but I really enjoy NRA's "Armed Citizen" pieces they post. These are great, and proof that people use guns for self-defense (although the media doesn't like to talk about it).

I hate to give CNN any credit, but this was a great story about an AR-15 being used for self-defense.

It's nice to see the press actually tell us about things like this....

I hate to give CNN any credit, but this was a great story about an AR-15 being used for self-defense.

It's nice to see the press actually tell us about things like this....
Same here. I like seeing when the news actually covers someone using a gun to save their life.

Ive used a crossbow on a raccoon that was about to attack my dog. A pellet gun on a tarantula that was "going to kill" my sibling, 22 on a coyote that was stealing chickens, and several misguided rodents that wanted to move in.

Do those count?

Thankfully, no. I spend a lot of time and effort to deter any would be attacker/intruder in hopes that I will never have to actually engage. I'll certainly be prepared should it happen but I hope it never does.

So as I have always been into firearms due to my father I haven’t always carried. This all changed for me when I was working security overnight for a special event with my wife at the time. I heard someone trying to jump a fence to get into the property I was guarding. I responded and told the intruder he had to leave that he could come back in the morning. He told me as he drew a 44 from his waist was “I’m coming over this fence and I will take what I want. There is nothing your gonna do to stop me.” At this time he had this gun pointing at me. I remained calm and stood firm the minute I saw him reaching for his waist I keyed my mic for our security team so everyone could hear. Moments later the area was flooded with a response team and the guy ran away. Later that night the guy fired at police officers. I vowed after that night I would never allow myself or my family to be put in that situation again without being able to defend ourselves. I’ve carried every day sense that night.

Thank God I have never had to use a firearm in self defense.

I have "pretended" to be armed once in a sketchy late night situation once. Many years ago, in the state of Michigan, the only way to get a CCW permit was to be connected with members of the local county "gun board", which, I was not. I was a field engineer for a computer networking company and was on the road returning from a late night (aprox 1:00am) emergency call for customer. On the way home, I stopped at a rest area to call my wife with an ETA (pay phone...pre cell days). As I am talking to her, I noticed that it seemed awful dark for a rest area. Looking up, I saw two overhead lights that were not lit in the parking lot. There was only two cars in the lot: mine and another parked at the opposite end of the unlit area. There were two guys in the other car who got out and started walking towards me while I was still on the phone. Why had they been sitting in their dark car deciding to get out now after I pulled up and walked to the pay phone? Oh crap! Did they shoot the overhead lights out to create the low light situation? Was trouble walking my way? Feeling a bit crazy and paranoid, I reached into my jacket as if going for a weapon in a shoulder rig. I just stood there with the phone receiver in one hand and my other inside my jacket staring at the two as they approached me from 30-40 yards away. That's when they slowed their pace, stopped, said something to each other and turned back to their car and got in. I hung up with my wife (no...I didn't tell her what was happening at the time), quickly got back in my vehicle and got out of there.

I guess I will never know for sure if I dodged trouble that night or had just created a paranoid scenario in my head. The two things that need answered are: Why were they just sitting in the dark vehicle as I pulled up and Why did they do a 180 when I reached into my jacket? I still think they were up to no good and thank God the State of Michigan eventually went from "may issue" to "shall issue" on CCW permits.
You just reminded me of a recent incident that is somewhat related. Several months ago now, i was driving a patient to their appointment. This trip started on a two lane road and ended up on a four lane boulevard. Evidently I caused some unknown offense to warrant a biker to become so agitated they needed to give me the honorary biker salute, for about a mile once i got onto the boulevard. In this time he repeatedly made side thrusting motions with his hip, to which clung a hapless Glock.

For a moment I thought, "how am I going to make sure I have a clear shot if he draws that?" Then i started cracking up. The image of a 200lb man drawing and driving a chopper with ape hangers.

Then the thought occured, Im in a 2ton van I dont need to draw, I just need to scoot over and nudge him. He must have realized the same thing because about this time he pulled off the road.

What i think happened is that I inadvertantly cut them off turning onto the 2 lane road. As bikers love to take the curves there flying low. With the sun coming from their direction, and later at my back there is very little chance to have seen them.

Sometimes, we need to step back and look at the other tools at our disposal.

1 - you can fire accurately from the seat of a motorcycle, it just takes practice. Righty's have to practice weak-hand shooting since the throttle is on the right side; if you see a rider with a gun on their left hip? They likely have practiced. I know state police motormen, and they simply train to cross-draw instead of buying a second holster/belt.

2 - I ride. A lot. Nothing pisses us off more than being the victim of "I didn't see them". Please - LOOK. Your "nudge" would dent or ding a car...but it'll kill a rider just as fast as any Glock or XD will.

You just reminded me of a recent incident that is somewhat related. Several months ago now, i was driving a patient to their appointment. This trip started on a two lane road and ended up on a four lane boulevard. Evidently I caused some unknown offense to warrant a biker to become so agitated they needed to give me the honorary biker salute, for about a mile once i got onto the boulevard. In this time he repeatedly made side thrusting motions with his hip, to which clung a hapless Glock.

For a moment I thought, "how am I going to make sure I have a clear shot if he draws that?" Then i started cracking up. The image of a 200lb man drawing and driving a chopper with ape hangers.

Then the thought occured, Im in a 2ton van I dont need to draw, I just need to scoot over and nudge him. He must have realized the same thing because about this time he pulled off the road.

What i think happened is that I inadvertantly cut them off turning onto the 2 lane road. As bikers love to take the curves there flying low. With the sun coming from their direction, and later at my back there is very little chance to have seen them.

Sometimes, we need to step back and look at the other tools at our disposal.
100 % agree....That was definitely a difficult situation. I have been driving straight into the sun all week. It’s killing me...but at this time of year the sun is lined up perfectly in the morning.
First, I ride motorcycles. I have ridden since I was 8. Now that that is out of the way. Yes, we should be vigilant about motorcycles on the highway. We get it, we see the bumper stickers. However, if that pisses you off to the level of threatening someone with a concealed firearm you need to check yourself. In my state brandishing a firearm is a misdemeanor and he should have gotten a visit from the police. Our cause, if you want to call it that, does not need hotheads brandishing their guns in public. And yes I would have used the car too...the biker salute was sufficient.

1 - you can fire accurately from the seat of a motorcycle, it just takes practice. Righty's have to practice weak-hand shooting since the throttle is on the right side; if you see a rider with a gun on their left hip? They likely have practiced. I know state police motormen, and they simply train to cross-draw instead of buying a second holster/belt.

2 - I ride. A lot. Nothing pisses us off more than being the victim of "I didn't see them". Please - LOOK. Your "nudge" would dent or ding a car...but it'll kill a rider just as fast as any Glock or XD will.
I agree, generally i try to get any bikes in front of me. However, if one decides to speed along winding roads, in heavy traffic or residential roads they should not be surprised if they get cutoff. I have enough trouble in a white van. It seems entitlement has crept into every aspect of life/society.

There are folks on/in two, three, four and 18 wheels that will push the envelope. I have my hours on
a motorcycle too. I see guys and gals that scare me. They have to know that they are in the blind spot.
Cars along side trucks. Motorcycles along side cars and trucks. Vehicles are getting better with the
perimeter sensors. I can't help but think in a lot of the instances I've seen, were there sensors, they
would be blaring away. As the "Pull Up, Pull Up" pilots get just prior to smacking Terra Very Firma!

Not the whole family, just myself. We lived out in the country about 40 miles from the big city. It was deer season
and I had been warned by my father to stay out of the woods. The big hunters from the city come down and the blasting starts. All in their red checked hats and coats. Always two or three killed per season.

Bored, I decided to sneak over to the edge of the woods and plink a few with my new 22. My old gun was a bolt action single shot. This new baby was tube feed semi auto. I want to say a Mossberg. Fill up the tube and my pockets with LR's and off across our field, cross the highway, and in to the woods. Walking in maybe a quarter mile I'm up on a ridge. Mind you as yet I haven't fired a round.

All of a sudden there is loud shot and I'm splattered with dirt. I drop down and holler to stop I'm up here and blam more dirt. I crawl over to a old rotted tree and hunker down. I'm screaming now at this person to stop and bang, bang couple more go off hitting the log. Thirteen years old I'm sure my screaming sounded like a little girl. Needless to say I was scared. Anyways the shooting stopped and I took a peek over the log and saw a red checked guy down below. I hollered at him again and another shot was fired hitting in front of the log. Shaking like a leaf I charged a round, pushed the safety off, laid the rifle across the log guessing at the angle. I proceeded to empty the tube. Empty I took a peek and saw Red Checked scampering away. Immediately I headed out of the woods still shaking. My brother saw me coming out of the woods and promptly told Dad when he got home from work.

Punishment. "You know I'm taking your rifle for a while." Sure cause I was told not to go in the woods. "No, not for that." "Were you not taught to check your kill in the hunter safety course?" Well, he was running.

Ended up I lost the use of the rifle until summer vacation.... 6 months..... OUCH! But Dad had a way with making points. Once a month he would give it to me for an hour to clean.

Back