testtest

Have any of you run into this situation?

When I was a youngster I used the Hoppes gun cleaning kit with bore solvent and gun oil. I used Break-Free CLP on Uncle Sam's guns and liked the simplicity of one product for all uses. I have tried various brands for my firearms since, including Break-Free CLP-4 [not the same as I remember], Otis Extreme Duty CLP [smelled awful], and SLIP 2000 CLP [bottle leaked constantly]. I recently switched to Lucas Extreme Duty CLP and am very happy with the results. The Lucas product is slightly thicker than the other products and works very well removing carbon buildup.
That’s all I use now is Lucas Oil products, no issues yet, plus it doesn’t smell all that bad

That’s all I use now is Lucas Oil products, no issues yet, plus it doesn’t smell all that bad
as i was cleaning that Ruger yesterday, as i put down the can of Kroil, it fell on the work bench, and squirted me...

for the past nearly 24 hours, i have had my shirt in a wash pan, soaked in Lestoil, to get the oil stain out, and i can assure you that Lestoil smells WORSE than Kroil..!!!!!

At one point I had two .44 Mags. A Super Blackhawk and a Taurus model 44. The Blackhawk had ( I believe) a 10" barrel and the Taurus has an 8 3/8" barrel. I sold the Blackhawk. I still have the Taurus. I can shoot it one handed all day long and I can hit an 8" plate every time at 100 yards with it. I bought it when I turned 21 ( so 32 years ago) and it has been flawless. And even though it was my main hunting partner for a couple decades it still looks mint.

I have never been a big picture guy, but here I am with a little Spikey I killed about 90 yards away with it, 20 some years ago.

fCc8gPc.jpg
That's damn impressive man!

UPDATE:

ok, this first posting of this thread, about what seemed like a "dry" gun after lubing it with Weapon Shield?

well, that was my Ruger GP 100 2.5" barrel revolver, that i cleaned and lubed back in Sept of 21

tomorrow, i will be taking my D/W Heritage, which i last used, and cleaned in August of 21.

nearly 1 full month before i used the Ruger.

ok, so the D/W Heritage, got lubed with Weapon Shield as well.

thinking it was going to be dry like the Ruger, to my surprise, it was as wet as can be.

same storage as the Ruger, all my guns are in "pouches" made by Allen.

all my guns are stored "up right" never laying flat.

can i add that this has me as confounded as all heck.???

one was nearly bone dry, the other sopping wet..??? (and no, i never forget to lube my guns, the lube bottle is always on the bench with the patches, that i need to lightly wipe off the excess oiling) in fact, i leave off the tip of the pinpoint needle and put that on top of a clean patch, as a reminder to seal it up, after oiling.

i dunno..........i cannot explain this.

i may need to take drugs, drink, and smoke monkey weed like a chimney.

any ideas, opinions on why both guns stored about the same time, lubed the same way, same product, but one was dry, the other sopping wet???

is one metal gun (the Ruger) have more "pores" in the metal than say the D/W's metal..??? allowing it to soak into the metal..?? and seemingly disappear..??

any recommendations of street corner pharmacist's..???

UPDATE:

ok, this first posting of this thread, about what seemed like a "dry" gun after lubing it with Weapon Shield?

well, that was my Ruger GP 100 2.5" barrel revolver, that i cleaned and lubed back in Sept of 21

tomorrow, i will be taking my D/W Heritage, which i last used, and cleaned in August of 21.

thinking it was going to be dry like the Ruger, to my surprise, it was as wet as can be.

one was nearly bone dry, the other sopping wet..??? (and no, i never forget to lube my guns, the lube bottle is always on the bench with the patches, that i need to lightly wipe off the excess oiling) in fact, i leave off the tip of the pinpoint needle and put that on top of a clean patch, as a reminder to seal it up, after oiling.

any ideas, opinions on why both guns stored about the same time, lubed the same way, same product, but one was dry, the other sopping wet???

is one metal gun (the Ruger) have more "pores" in the metal than say the D/W's metal..??? allowing it to soak into the metal..?? and seemingly disappear..??

It's a possibility. It's also a possibility that you are misremembering exact circumstances surrounding how, how much or when you lubed the gun. I can't tell you how many times here lately I have been absolutely convinced that I did something or left something a specific way. I mean I was certain of it, I clearly recalled it. Only to find out later I was mistaken, misremembering or just plain wrong. I guess it happens when we get older.

It's a possibility. It's also a possibility that you are misremembering exact circumstances surrounding how, how much or when you lubed the gun. I can't tell you how many times here lately I have been absolutely convinced that I did something or left something a specific way. I mean I was certain of it, I clearly recalled it. Only to find out later I was mistaken, misremembering or just plain wrong. I guess it happens when we get older.
well, i used to keep individual log books on each gun. i recently transferred all that information, over to a 3 ring binder.

all dates, and other information transferred over and rechecked, before moving onto the next gun.

i also jot down the date to the range, how many rds, new or reloaded ammo, grain, brand name of ammo, and clean and lube.

all guns get cleaned and lubed after each range visit, it's a habit i got into from day #1, which includes placing the needle point cap away from the bottle, as a reminder the gun still had to be lubed.

the revolvers get a couple of drops, into the "bearing" area of the wheel? then spun, then reoiled again. kinda second nature for me to be fastidious regarding oiling.

i got nothing else, except confoundment.

well, i used to keep individual log books on each gun. i recently transferred all that information, over to a 3 ring binder.

all dates, and other information transferred over and rechecked, before moving onto the next gun.

i also jot down the date to the range, how many rds, new or reloaded ammo, grain, brand name of ammo, and clean and lube.

all guns get cleaned and lubed after each range visit, it's a habit i got into from day #1, which includes placing the needle point cap away from the bottle, as a reminder the gun still had to be lubed.

the revolvers get a couple of drops, into the "bearing" area of the wheel? then spun, then reoiled again. kinda second nature for me to be fastidious regarding oiling.

i got nothing else, except confoundment.
Yeah, I'm pretty anal about gun maintenance too.

UPDATE:

It ain’t the metal, bro… I’m pretty sure of that.
Is there any chance you used or have two different bottles of WS?
Used one on Mr Ruger, the other on DW ?
Lord knows I have shelves of stuff half full - field bottle, home bottle, needle bottles etc etc.

Lord knows I have shelves of stuff half full - field bottle, home bottle, needle bottles etc etc.

Well probably not, but it's hard to say for sure. What kind of finish is on each gun ?

I do know that I use WS for very specific things and it definitely leaves a slick surface for a long time. Like most other decent gun oils.

no, i have 1 bottle of Gibbs, it is red, and labeled, even though the red color gives it away.

i have 1 bottle of Weapon Shield, and sorta a yellow color, and it too is labeled. i have 1 bottle of Hoppes, and clear in color, and that too is labeled.

i only take out 1 bottle of lube. it's sorta like the recommendation, when one does reloading......only 1 cannister of gun powder on the bench at all times.

so no, no wrong bottle of lube. the Hoppes, and Gibbs (which Gibbs is for my Korth revolver) stay in the tote bag. the Weapon Shield which is/was my #1 choice for general lubing's, was on the bench, my usual "M.O." (modus operandi)

my only 'best guess", i was thinking this morning, on my drive to get the news paper, (yes, i still get a real newspaper each day), is that on revolvers, we generally only use a "few drops" of oil, down into the cylinder (wheel) bearing area. we do not flood that. in like how we may over due out other guns, but what about my semi-automatic, i posted about days ago as well, as being "dry"..????

maybe those few droplets, evaporated? which i still fine hard to believe, or, they migrated down to the ejector "star", and stayed there, leaving the cylinder bearing "dry"(??) even though, ALL my guns are stored in an upright position, never laying flat.

just a fascinating confoundment, about the Ruger revolver, the G-17 being "dry" after BOTH were not used for a few months, and the D/W, as well not used for a few months, but was wet as all heck...???

all lubed with Weapon Shield....all stored the same way, upright.

where did the Weapon Shield go, when the gun pouches, or Glock clamshell case, are bone dry as well, showing NO signs of dripped oil? oil does not evaporate from fabric, it stays there and stains the fabric....right..???

Back