testtest

Having a Plan to Defend Home and Property

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
An important concept to understand before coming up with a plan is “Should vs Could.” Just because you can do something doesn’t mean you always should. Here is a simple plan anyone can and should follow when they plan the defense of their home and property.

THE FIVE FUNDAMENTALS OF HOME DEFENSE

Having a Plan to Defend Home and Property

005207f_k5312u_c.jpg

Plus...Home Invasion Defense

Immediate Action Plan

According to the article I made 3 mistakes. I didn't call 911, I'm isolated no neighbors for miles. Never had them show up when they are needed. Always call me back the next day. If i had called 911 the it woulda been recorded. I went outside to confront the threat. Guy was drunk & high, refused to stop coming at me. He saw the red dot on his chest & that saved his life.

According to the article I made 3 mistakes. I didn't call 911, I'm isolated no neighbors for miles. Never had them show up when they are needed. Always call me back the next day. If i had called 911 the it woulda been recorded. I went outside to confront the threat. Guy was drunk & high, refused to stop coming at me. He saw the red dot on his chest & that saved his life.
Under those conditions I'd have some sort of a camera system set-up in case someone doesn't stop when they see the red dot.

Whenever the LEOs investigate something in my area they always ask for camera footage.

My .02

A few simple things I have done that I think help with home defense:

1. Reinforce your exterior doors, heavy duty striker plate, 3” deck screws in the plate and hinges. Add Nightlock door brace to make the door near kick proof.

2. Use interior combo locks for bedrooms, sure they can be kicked in but it’s another barrier for an intruder to overcome, giving you more TIME.

3. Exterior motion sensing cameras covering avenues of approach.

4. Exterior Motion sensing lights.

5. Smart lights & mini cams on the interior that you can control remotely and automate.

6. Alarm system that includes motion and glass break sensors with a cellular backup.

7. PLANNED: Security gate on sliding door(s).

😊

Guy was drunk & high, refused to stop coming at me. He saw the red dot on his chest & that saved his life.

I've never anybody actually noticed the laser indicator on them.

The most common thing that happened when I pointed a gun at anybody during the course of my "career" was they dared me to shoot them.

In my experience people are a hell of a lot more intimidated by OC spray than they are by a gun

I've thought about it alot. My tac light is extremely bright, he had his hand up trying to shield his eyes. Pitch black here at night, this was 3am. I kept yelling stop, I have a gun! What are you doing here. Over & over he wouldn't say anything. He kept coming, I kept yelling and backing up. Finally he saw the red dot on his chest, & dropped to his knees.

I've thought about it alot. My tac light is extremely bright, he had his hand up trying to shield his eyes. Pitch black here at night, this was 3am. I kept yelling stop, I have a gun! What are you doing here. Over & over he wouldn't say anything. He kept coming, I kept yelling and backing up. Finally he saw the red dot on his chest, & dropped to his knees.
Ok

Its pretty simple...

make efforts toward early detection
make efforts toward easy access communications ( help response)
make efforts toward deterring a badguy from selecting your home to begin with. It starts at the curb
make efforts toward delaying intrusion
have a good idea how to confront the danger from a position of advantage -if intruded upon
have the tools on hand to multiply force
have med kit to address potential injury
make effort to learn and understand the common practices, methods and theme of the predatory criminal

make a plan and include others in the plan
have a plan B
If Plan A and Plan B fail... you can utilize the spirit of those plans to make a immediate decision regarding new objectives ( thus saving time due to a thoughtful framework and decision tree already established).
Expect to change or alter the plan on the fly.

The best security cameras absolutely are not hooked to the net. The net is a point of failure.
IMHO cloud + local control unit with micro DVR systems (e.g. Blink), they're not *the best* but they're relatively inexpensive and reliable enough for most home applications and you can drop a UPS on the module and your wireless AP(s) to protect against power loss.

If you're really worried about thieves cutting your inet hardline, throw a cellular modem backup on your network. 🤷‍♂️

Wireless net based is easier for homes, but it's all a scam and you will pay through the teeth for storage, access to the storage, how you want it to record events, etc if you go through a company like SimpliSafe, Vivint. Almost all offer their services through alarm.com anyways and then charge a premium for "Access" to your features you would think you would get standard.

Run your own network with Wireless or IP cameras and an NVR so it's a closed system that's not net based and you have full autonomy over it. You don't necessarily need an installer to do it either if you go wireless, or you if can run your own CAT6.

Look up Ubiquiti (https://www.ui.com). They make really good stuff that's user friendly and easy to install and set up. It can be inexpensive, moderate, or super expensive depending on what you want/need. They make it both ways (wired or wireless) so you have options.

Don't need to be a network engineer or a security installer to put this stuff in. Plug the cameras in to your POE switch and it will learn the cameras in and IP them automatically. They make combo units that are a POE switch and NVR in one and they work really well.

I work in the security industry for Johnson Controls, sorry. Got a bit excited when we started talking IP cams and NVRs and networking lol.

IMHO cloud + local control unit with micro DVR systems (e.g. Blink), they're not *the best* but they're relatively inexpensive and reliable enough for most home applications and you can drop a UPS on the module and your wireless AP(s) to protect against power loss.

If you're really worried about thieves cutting your inet hardline, throw a cellular modem backup on your network. 🤷‍♂️
There's that and there's also the fact that I don't want cameras on my house or property networked through the internet. And you shouldn't either.

Independent power supply with battery back up and dedicated hard drives. All hidden where no thief will ever find them.

There's that and there's also the fact that I don't want cameras on my house or property networked through the internet. And you shouldn't either.

Independent power supply with battery back up and dedicated hard drives. All hidden where no thief will ever find them.
That's cool, I'm glad that's working out for you. As far as what I should or shouldn't want, I believe I'll continue to rely on my own informed judgement in that respect given that it's served me exceptionally well thus far. ✌️

Back