testtest

Hellcat #2 trigger heavier than Hellcat #1 . . . advice needed

I agree that it's not broke in yet. Kudos to you if you can shoot a 7.5 or 8# trigger well. I know my limitations, as seen on the paper targets used to determine accuracy. Unfortunately, with the cost of ammo, I cannot afford to shoot any gun like I would like to. But nothing gets put into the carry rotation until 300 rounds.
No where did I blame Springfield. I did however question the high tolerance of pull weight. That is not blaming. As I stated initially, Hellcat #1 was great from the start. #2 gave me a completely different experience. It may loosen up some with more rounds, but I'm quite certain it will not come down 2# in pull weight even with 1,000 more rounds. That's just not realistic. Maybe you don't care if you are not accurate with a gun, but I do. It's not enjoyable for me to blow $350 in rounds that are not consistantly on target.

I still have yet to hear from anyone who has installed either the PRP or Apex trigger. I would realky like to hear if those triggers perform as advertised.
@xdman is a Springfield Armorer (and mod here) and can do a trigger for you no problem. Likely also give you the info you’re seeking on the comparison between the two. Maybe shoot him an email or use the Conversation button (envelope at top) to PM him.

I agree that it's not broke in yet. Kudos to you if you can shoot a 7.5 or 8# trigger well. I know my limitations, as seen on the paper targets used to determine accuracy. Unfortunately, with the cost of ammo, I cannot afford to shoot any gun like I would like to. But nothing gets put into the carry rotation until 300 rounds.
No where did I blame Springfield. I did however question the high tolerance of pull weight. That is not blaming. As I stated initially, Hellcat #1 was great from the start. #2 gave me a completely different experience. It may loosen up some with more rounds, but I'm quite certain it will not come down 2# in pull weight even with 1,000 more rounds. That's just not realistic. Maybe you don't care if you are not accurate with a gun, but I do. It's not enjoyable for me to blow $350 in rounds that are not consistantly on target.

I still have yet to hear from anyone who has installed either the PRP or Apex trigger. I would realky like to hear if those triggers perform as advertised.
After 23 years in the military and several deployments I am pretty accurate with a handgun, deadly with a rifle. The way I was taught was practice, practice, and practice. To this day that is exactly what I do. In all my years with firearms I have never changed out a trigger. I find a way to make a gun work for me. If that takes 100's of rounds to do it so be it. I have a hard time understanding a person changing out a trigger after 100 rounds. Shooting takes practice and that costs money these days- just a fact of life.

After 23 years in the military and several deployments I am pretty accurate with a handgun, deadly with a rifle. The way I was taught was practice, practice, and practice. To this day that is exactly what I do. In all my years with firearms I have never changed out a trigger. I find a way to make a gun work for me. If that takes 100's of rounds to do it so be it. I have a hard time understanding a person changing out a trigger after 100 rounds. Shooting takes practice and that costs money these days- just a fact of life.
I won’t make any allusions as to my prowess with firearms, but I too have never changed a trigger. I had a trigger job done to a 1911 or two over the years, but…..
I gave away one of those stupid little Ruger .380s in large part because of the terrible trigger, but also just because it’s a terrible little gun to trust your life to if you have an alternative.

Nevertheless, I am not a guy who mods triggers on guns. I’ve really never had any issues with any of them.

I am really disappointed that people are using this post to essentially belittle me and/or my thoughts and questions about this trigger. I made this post asking for input from people who have changed out the Springfield trigger to the Apex or PRP trigger. I thought I made it clear I shoot regurlarly (weekly) and have a wide array of handguns that I shoot confidently. Because of that variety, I am well aware when I come across a gun I cannot shoot well. I have 2 of those guns in my safe, this being one of them. I have countless others with all kinds of triggers, each with different feels, pulls, crispness or lack thereof. I am not afraid of practice or investing time and/or money into this sport. If any of you knew me, you would not be insinuating that is the problem.
What some of you don't seem to want to recognize is everyone has limits. Those limits obviously vary from person to person, but everyone has them. Is it so wrong that I am aware of those limits? As I said, if you all can shoot a heavy trigger well, kudos to you. I know I cannot. Maybe this is one of the greatest difference for women than it is for men, but I don't care if I put 10,000 rounds through it, all I will do is fatigue faster trying too hard.
I don't mean to be a jerk, but the last few post have really put me on the offence and I don't want to be there. If you are just going to comment that I need to shoot more, please just keep scrolling.

Maybe it's just time to ask the mods to delete this post. 😔

I am really disappointed that people are using this post to essentially belittle me and/or my thoughts and questions about this trigger. I made this post asking for input from people who have changed out the Springfield trigger to the Apex or PRP trigger. I thought I made it clear I shoot regurlarly (weekly) and have a wide array of handguns that I shoot confidently. Because of that variety, I am well aware when I come across a gun I cannot shoot well. I have 2 of those guns in my safe, this being one of them. I have countless others with all kinds of triggers, each with different feels, pulls, crispness or lack thereof. I am not afraid of practice or investing time and/or money into this sport. If any of you knew me, you would not be insinuating that is the problem.
What some of you don't seem to want to recognize is everyone has limits. Those limits obviously vary from person to person, but everyone has them. Is it so wrong that I am aware of those limits? As I said, if you all can shoot a heavy trigger well, kudos to you. I know I cannot. Maybe this is one of the greatest difference for women than it is for men, but I don't care if I put 10,000 rounds through it, all I will do is fatigue faster trying too hard.
I don't mean to be a jerk, but the last few post have really put me on the offence and I don't want to be there. If you are just going to comment that I need to shoot more, please just keep scrolling.

If I may offer my perspective on what people are posting is that no one is belittling you, trust me on that. Many forum members are strong minded individuals who will give their beliefs but none will ever put down or talk negatively about someone wanting to do something to make their experience with their firearms more enjoyable, they offer their opinions on how they deal with issues or concerns but what you want to do is paramount to you is the most important thing. Talk to @xdman about what your looking for, he is a great guy with tons of knowledge and will NOT judge you.
No one is attacking you we just want to help.

Or should I just cut my losses and sell to someone else.
Dont give up on it! Well I hate to see someone give up but sometimes you have to.
Are you interested in trying a spring change? I have not taken down a Springfield pistol so I don't know how tough it would be. What do you want to happen? Ask the if they would replace the spring? If you dont like it, you wont shoot and never be proficient. I I had a Kimber Solo carry that I could not count on to fire. How may times do you try before you give up? I sold it and took a bath, that is why I suggest you not sell. Maybe you could get a decent price today.

I suggest you follow through and insist on replacing the trigger and stay on it. Or try replacing the spring.
How do you test spring pressure? Can you order springs of certain weight? Keep us informed.

No one is belittling you sir. It’s a forum. That means every topic brought up is going to illicit every manner of variation on the theme. It’s the nature of Internet forums. I and others might point out that we aren’t too concerned with triggers but that doesn’t mean the rest of our friends here aren’t. I see both perspectives and respect everyone’s right to have an opinion about it.

I've changed a few triggers on my firearms in pistols, rifles, and PDW's. Changing out a trigger is one of the most beneficial upgrades you can do to a firearm. Having a smoother action, shorter pull & reset can greatly improve your accuracy and ability with a firearm. It doesn't matter how much you practice with something you will reach a limit to whatever the ability is with certain gear. Technically someone could train hard as heck running marathon's with heavy work boots on and they still may finish the marathon and improve their time but now throw some performance running shoes and and you'll see a drastic change.

Please don't take offense to others here as most of us join the conversations to share our personal knowledge and experience with other's with no intentions of being disrespectful to anyone.

Last edited:
Dont give up on it! Well I hate to see someone give up but sometimes you have to.
Are you interested in trying a spring change? I have not taken down a Springfield pistol so I don't know how tough it would be. What do you want to happen? Ask the if they would replace the spring? If you dont like it, you wont shoot and never be proficient. I I had a Kimber Solo carry that I could not count on to fire. How may times do you try before you give up? I sold it and took a bath, that is why I suggest you not sell. Maybe you could get a decent price today.

I suggest you follow through and insist on replacing the trigger and stay on it. Or try replacing the spring.
How do you test spring pressure? Can you order springs of certain weight? Keep us informed.
Thanks for your post. I am really not confident in doing the pistol work myself. I really tried to get Springfield to do something for the trigger under warranty, but because it was within spec, they would not. They offered to do trigger work in their custom shop, which seemed like the best option until I found out there are 2 gens of triggers. Apparently my first hellcat was a gen 1 and this one a gen 2 as this one's safety blade pinched the heck out of my finger. Never had an issue with the first one. So even the best trigger work isn't going to change the physical discomfort caused by the trigger itself.
The other option I looked into is having a PRP trigger and spring kit installed. When I called PRP they quoted me a very reasonable price. This would address both issues, the heavy trigger and the blade safety pinching. I don't love the idea of putting another $200 into this pistol, but I really like the platform. I like the pistol. It conceals well and hellcat #1, I shoot well. The question was is it worth that additional $200 to make me like hellcat #2!? Most likely I will spend the money because I do like the hellcat and still have the initial goal of learning to shoot with an optic. That will take a lot of practice....practice I want to enjoy.

Thanks for your post. I am really not confident in doing the pistol work myself. I really tried to get Springfield to do something for the trigger under warranty, but because it was within spec, they would not. They offered to do trigger work in their custom shop, which seemed like the best option until I found out there are 2 gens of triggers. Apparently my first hellcat was a gen 1 and this one a gen 2 as this one's safety blade pinched the heck out of my finger. Never had an issue with the first one. So even the best trigger work isn't going to change the physical discomfort caused by the trigger itself.
The other option I looked into is having a PRP trigger and spring kit installed. When I called PRP they quoted me a very reasonable price. This would address both issues, the heavy trigger and the blade safety pinching. I don't love the idea of putting another $200 into this pistol, but I really like the platform. I like the pistol. It conceals well and hellcat #1, I shoot well. The question was is it worth that additional $200 to make me like hellcat #2!? Most likely I will spend the money because I do like the hellcat and still have the initial goal of learning to shoot with an optic. That will take a lot of practice....practice I want to enjoy.
You could also buy an Apex and have a local shop install it for you. Probably run $25 to $35 for labor.

I've changed a few triggers on my firearms in pistols, rifles, and PDW's. Changing out a trigger is one of the most beneficial upgrades you can do to a firearm. Having a smoother action, shorter pull & reset can greatly improve your accuracy and ability with a firearm. It doesn't matter how much you practice with something you will reach a limit to whatever the ability is with certain gear. Technically someone could train hard as heck running marathon's with heavy work boots on and they still may finish the marathon and improve their time but now throw some performance running shoes and and you'll see a drastic change.

Please don't take offense to others here as most of us join the conversations to share our personal knowledge and experience with other's with no intentions of being disrespectful to anyone.
Thank you for this post. Maybe I got a little sensitive, but it's hard being a woman in a man's sport (no matter how many women have joined, it's still a man's sport). Your illustration was perfect. I am just being realistic that no matter how many rounds I put through the gun, it is still going to be the same trigger. Knowing I can shoot the same gun with a better trigger, makes me not want to shoot this gun.

It sounds like you have made a decision and one that will benefit you which in the grand scheme of things it’s you and only you that needs to be happy with what you shoot. As you move forward and then eventually get this work done please let us know how things are going for you 😎

You could also buy an Apex and have a local shop install it for you. Probably run $25 to $35 for labor.

I looked at the apex trigger. I think it needs more than a sear and striker spring to lighten up the pull enough to make a difference. But if someone has tried the apex, I'd LOVE to hear about that. Maybe if the trigger pull started at 6 or 6.5#? I just don't know. I will call apex now though!

Thank you for this post. Maybe I got a little sensitive, but it's hard being a woman in a man's sport (no matter how many women have joined, it's still a man's sport). Your illustration was perfect. I am just being realistic that no matter how many rounds I put through the gun, it is still going to be the same trigger. Knowing I can shoot the same gun with a better trigger, makes me not want to shoot this gun.
Oops. Sorry ma’am. I just assumed. Good luck with your Hellcat. Just remember you can’t really put a price on personal safety. $200 might stick in your craw a little bit after spending the money on the pistol, but if it makes it easier and more enjoyable to shoot then it’s money well spent in my opinion.

I looked at the apex trigger. I think it needs more than a sear and striker spring to lighten up the pull enough to make a difference. But if someone has tried the apex, I'd LOVE to hear about that. Maybe if the trigger pull started at 6 or 6.5#? I just don't know. I will call apex now though!
I have used Apex in M&P pistols and experienced a very drastic improvement.

I agree with what you're saying as far as Springfield is concerned. As for the custon trigger work, I don't need them to be identicle. I need this gun to be shootable for me. That means a lighter trigger. I am lucky enough to have a decent variety of handguns and almost all of them I feel I can shoot fairly well. I just want to know if I spend the $ on either of the above mentioned trigger kits if it will bring the pull weight down as advertised, especially when the trigger started out heavier than average. Or should I just cut my losses and sell to someone else.
I can relate an experience I had. My trophy wife bought me a Ruger LC9 for Christmas a bunch of years ago when it first came out on the advise of my son. I loved the gun, its size, weight, the way it fit my hand, everything. I took it to the range and to say I was disappointed is an understatement. The trigger pull weight was I believe 8 lbs and way to looooooong as was the release to reset. I did not say anything to the wife (she is not a gun person and I know it took alot for her to actually purchase it for me). Well, apparently I was not the only one who felt that way and after a flurry of complaints, Ruger released the LC9S, a striker version with a 5 lb trigger pull with a much shorter pull and reset. I replaced the LC9 with the LC9S and she is none the wiser. I also have a hellcat that I love but it is not an OSP. I replaced the LC9 for the exact reasons your stating and have not regretted it. I still have the LC9 because it has sentimental value to me and was a sub $400 gun and I do still shoot it from time to time and still do not like the trigger. YMMV

I think you are right about this gen 1 vs gen 2 trigger. I was reading the comments in the PRP trigger kit and someone mentioned the blade safety on their Hellcat being sharp. I had forgotten about my other complaint to customer service and that was the fact that after 100 rounds with Hellcat #2, I had a nice blister on my trigger finger from the blade safety pinching my finger. I had never experienced any issued with Hellcat #1. This makes me rethink having Springfield do the trigger work as they would keep the same trigger, which no matter how great the pull, if it still pinches....it's a problem! I don't want to sound like a wuss, but I have NEVER left the range with a blister on my finger. Now I am thinking PRP trigger and kit is the best option.
I realize this thread is a bit old, but I'm curious if you ever went with the PRP. I am having the exact same issue with my hellcat. I don't know trigger pull, but it is painful to shoot without gloves. Pinches my trigger finger exactly as you describe. I have a Hyve Monarch trigger coming in on Monday, but was curious about other solutions. I had a shield before this and never really like it so I never invested anything in it. I really, really like the hellcat except for the trigger pinch, so I'm willing to sink some $$ into it to get it to where I want it. If the hyve doesn't work I'm going to try the PRP or Apex. There's a guy on the SpringfieldForum that likes the Apex in his hellcat, but he didn't have trigger pinch issues prior to the swap.

I realize this thread is a bit old, but I'm curious if you ever went with the PRP. I am having the exact same issue with my hellcat. I don't know trigger pull, but it is painful to shoot without gloves. Pinches my trigger finger exactly as you describe. I have a Hyve Monarch trigger coming in on Monday, but was curious about other solutions. I had a shield before this and never really like it so I never invested anything in it. I really, really like the hellcat except for the trigger pinch, so I'm willing to sink some $$ into it to get it to where I want it. If the hyve doesn't work I'm going to try the PRP or Apex. There's a guy on the SpringfieldForum that likes the Apex in his hellcat, but he didn't have trigger pinch issues prior to the swap.
Welcome to the forum from Kentucky, I hope you have luck with your issue and jump right with questions, wealth of knowledge here.

I have 2 Hellcats. The first is an OSP with an Apex trigger kit. The second is an RDP I purchased for my wife. I love both of them and they shoot very well. I do not own a trigger pull gauge so my experience is subjective.

The OSP with the Apex trigger is very sweet. I estimate it at between 4-5 pounds of pull and very smooth. With a RomeoZero red dot, I am able to hit a 3 inch circle at 25 yards. The gun has over 1000 rounds through it.

My wife's RDP with a Wasp red dot has the Gen 2 factory trigger. I would estimate it at 5-6 lbs of pull. The Gen 2 trigger seems almost as good as the Apex so I do not see the need to install an Apex on it.

As a side note, the RDP compensator locking lever is a weak point that you need to pay attention to. The locking lever sits in a detent in the barrel. To unlock, the lever needs to be depressed as you unscrew the compensator. If you release the lever once you clear the detent, the locking portion of the lever will ride on the barrel threads. The lever material is softer than the barrel causing the barrel to cut into the locking lever. The end result will be that the compensator will no longer lock onto the barrel. When removing the compensator, make sure you maintain pressure on the lever until the compensator clears the barrel threads. Springfield covers this under warranty but you will have to send in the entire pistol as they will not exchange just the compensator.

Back