testtest

Hellcat Break-in

Hey guys, I'm a first time gun owner. The guy who taught my permit to carry class is a competitive shooter. He recommends breaking in handguns with the following process:
  1. Clean it thoroughly before shooting any rounds through it. There is “machining grease” and metal filings in and around all components that need to be removed. If you can, dismantle at least the slide/barrel/action so that you can really get into the small crevasses. Put the gun back together.
  2. Go to the range with a box of 50 rounds, a bore snake and some gun cleaning solvent
  3. Fire 1 round, and then with solvent on the front end of the bore snake, run the snake through the barrel at least three times.
  4. Repeat step 3, nine more times for a total of 10 rounds and 10 cleanings
  5. Fire 2 rounds, and then with solvent on the front end of the bore snake, run the snake through the barrel at least three times
  6. Repeat step 5 four more times for a total now of 20 rounds and 15 cleanings
  7. Fire 5 rounds, and then with solvent on the front end of the bore snake, run the snake through the barrel at least three times
  8. Repeat step 7 one more time. You now have 30 rounds through the barrel, with 17 cleanings
  9. The gun is now “conditioned”, and you should achieve maximum accuracy out of the weapon.
Is this whole process necessary? I can't find anyone else that says to do this. I'm thinking maybe he does this because he needs maximum accuracy for competition. Trying to figure out if I need to spend two hours at the range just conditioning the barrel

In a carry pistol?

No.

Cleaning it first is a good idea; but it’s not necessary to clean after every shot, or every five shots...or even 50. I usually like to put a couple hundred rounds through it before I clean it again, let it break in.

That barrel cleaning process is more for a precision rifle, not a carry pistol.

I've heard a couple gunsmiths rant about bore snakes. Apparently they can cause some damage. If you do go about cleaning your pistol often I'd suggest a rod. If you go get a rifle then definitely get a good rod, preferably one with a nylon coating, and see if you can find a cap to protect the crown on the muzzle.

Like Hans said that seems a little excessive for pistols, especially a carry pistol. Definitely clean it before you shoot and oil it. If you shoot 50 rounds through it and want to break it down to familiarize yourself with it and give it a cleaning there is nothing wrong with it. Recommended as in a must, no. Shoot a 100 rounds or so through it then clean it.

I've heard a couple gunsmiths rant about bore snakes. Apparently they can cause some damage. If you do go about cleaning your pistol often I'd suggest a rod. If you go get a rifle then definitely get a good rod, preferably one with a nylon coating, and see if you can find a cap to protect the crown on the muzzle.

True; it happens when people don’t wash their snakes. Grit builds up in the snake, and can scratch the bore.

In a carry pistol?

No.

Cleaning it first is a good idea; but it’s not necessary to clean after every shot, or every five shots...or even 50. I usually like to put a couple hundred rounds through it before I clean it again, let it break in.

That barrel cleaning process is more for a precision rifle, not a carry pistol.
I agree, that procedure is more for rifles, do disassemble it and give it a good cleaning and lube, then go out and have fun.

I agree, that's excessive.

I field-stripped my Hellcat when I got it, it was BONE-dry. I could see marks where the factory test-fired it (a good thing). I cleaned (it was actually pretty clean) and oiled it, and started shooting it. I'll typically clean it after every session, so it doesn't sit for days/weeks with soot and debris in it. Whether I shoot a mag, or a box, or just a couple rounds...I'll clean it so it isn't sitting ("sitting" - in my holster on my hip) for a long time with junk in it.

I did that with my XD-s years ago, and did it just recently with my Hellcat. Neither has had a FTF or any sort of error, and they both stay nicely zeroed. Don't over-oil - it shouldn't be dripping, but it shouldn't be bone-dry either. Dripping will attract more dust, dirt, lint and debris - too much is not a good thing.

Always wash your snakes......🤪🤪🤪🤪.....oppps........bore snakes that is......
You have a dirty bore snake, opps I meant mind. 🤦‍♂️

I guess you could say everyone has a there own way of doing things but I find that break in/cleaning process really excessive.
Yes clean your new gun before shooting it and use a good gun oil to lube it up for those first 100/500 rounds.

I’ve never used a bore snake although I don’t shoot more then 100 rounds at anytime through any of my handguns so they are never really dirty after a range session.

Back