testtest

Hellcat EDC loaded and chambered for extended time

Hi all, Im am new to the forum.
My questions are ;
1. Can i keep my Hellcat loaded and chambered for months on end not being fired and not have to worry about it performing when called upon?
2. I have two hellcats, one that i use regularly to practice with and one that i carry (EDC) daily and RARELY fire. should i be firing the EDC on a regular basis?
3, Will the hammer spring SET in the cocked position and fail when needed?
4. Will the magazine fail do to the spring being under tension at all times, when needed if it is loaded all the time?
I have heard that springs DO NOT fail from being under constant load however, im not sure it is true.
Thank you all for any advice.

i have had mine now for over a year..

you will be fine.

i shoot it, then clean, lube it 4 times a year.

springs do not lose tension being loaded. it's the constant shooting/reloading that weakens them, so i been told.

welcome to the forum

Is it bad to keep pistol magazines loaded?

According to Aimingexpert.com, it's generally fine to keep magazines loaded without ruining them. This is the consensus among notable gun experts who've voiced opinions on this topic. In fact, one gun owner shared a story about testing a very old gun with a loaded magazine that hadn't been fired for at least a century.Feb 4, 2022

Hi all, Im am new to the forum.
My questions are ;
1. Can i keep my Hellcat loaded and chambered for months on end not being fired and not have to worry about it performing when called upon?
2. I have two hellcats, one that i use regularly to practice with and one that i carry (EDC) daily and RARELY fire. should i be firing the EDC on a regular basis?
3, Will the hammer spring SET in the cocked position and fail when needed?
4. Will the magazine fail do to the spring being under tension at all times, when needed if it is loaded all the time?
I have heard that springs DO NOT fail from being under constant load however, im not sure it is true.
Thank you all for any advice.
They are made for this, one thing these have no hammer, it’s a striker fired, you got no worries here, as for magazines, there fine, I have had 1911 mags loaded for years with no issues, and yes, you should shoot your EDC pistol, you really need to make sure it feeds the ammo you are using even if your other does, guns are different even if the same ones, I usually shoot at least 200 rounds through any EDC gun before I trust my life with it, your Hellcats are top of the line Micro Compacts, enjoy them! Welcome to the forum also.

Same here, I keep it loaded and mag loaded all the time. I shoot it more often since it's my EDC I will go through a mag or 2 each time I go to the range. Typically after a year I will shoot the carry ammo out and rotate the carry mags with new ammo. Those mags will then stay loaded for another year. I kept Glock mags loaded for years and have had no issues at all with the springs.

right, as @Annihilator says...

then buy several hollow point brands and spare no expense on them, shoot off each brand.

do not use reloaded ammo.

for me, and any carry gun i have?

i use Federal HST hollow points

there is no requirement or law saying you must use hollow points for self defense, they just make better sense to use.

This question is commonly asked. I've read several of these discussions. The following is the best information I've found.

This was written by an engineer who participated at THR username Charlie Sherril.

Springs have a compression limit. If you compress a spring beyond that limit it will deform immediately and it will never work right again. If you compress a spring close to that limit it becomes susceptible to "creep strain" which will eventually cause it to fail.

The majority of gun manufacturers design their magazines so that even when fully loaded the load never approaches that compression limit. The problem is more with the off brand magazines like Pro Mags.

This is me
Magazines are expendable. Buy spares

Even though my research indicates that it's really not necessary, I keep enough magazines on hand for a given gun that I can put them through a long rotation cycle. 1 year loaded /5 years in the box. At that rate they should out last Methusala.

The question of "fatigue limits" and "creep strain" (which apparently is only a factor at 4X the melting point (Degrees Kelvin) of a given metal) is discussed in detail here

Does static tension wear out a spring? | Physics Forums

This is another article about how springs are engineered with the concept of "set" already factored in. I assume that most magazine manufacturers order their springs just a little long to "allow for set". For instance the Shield magazines that are initially so hard to load. Once the owner loads the magazine the first time the springs take that "initial set" and after that even compressed solid they don't approach the compression limit

Compression Spring - Stress and Spring Set

Compression Spring Set

When a custom spring is supplied longer than specified to compensate for length loss when fully compressed in assembly by customer, this is referred to as “Allow for Set”. This is usually recommended for large quantity orders to reduce cost. When a compression spring is compressed and released, it is supposed to return to its original height and, on further compressions, the load at any given point should remain constant at least within the loadlimits specified. When a spring is made and then compressed the first time, if the stress in the wire is high enough at the point the spring is compressed to, the spring will not return to its original height (i.e., it will get shorter). This is referred to as "taking a set", or "setting". Once the spring is compressed the first time and takes this set, the spring will generally not take any significant additional set on subsequent compressions.

One way to deal with this problem is to make the spring initially a little bit too long and then compress the spring all the way to solid so that after the spring takes the initial set, it is now at the correct height to meet the loadrequirement. This is referred to as "presetting", "removing the set" or sometimes "scragging". Presetting is a labor intensive and relatively costly operation due to the amount of handling of the springs involved. In most cases, the customer will also handle each spring as the springs are assembled into the product. As part of this handling, the customer could press each spring and "remove the set" so that the spring will be stable and perform satisfactorily. Another alternative would be to assemble the spring as is and allow the first operation of the mechanism into which the springhas been assembled to "remove the set". In either case, in order for the spring to be correct after removing the set, the spring would have to be received by the customer in a condition longer than the final height.

They are made for this, one thing these have no hammer, it’s a striker fired, you got no worries here, as for magazines, there fine, I have had 1911 mags loaded for years with no issues, and yes, you should shoot your EDC pistol, you really need to make sure it feeds the ammo you are using even if your other does, guns are different even if the same ones, I usually shoot at least 200 rounds through any EDC gun before I trust my life with it, your Hellcats are top of the line Micro Compacts, enjoy them! Welcome to the forum also.
Thanks. what i guess i mean by hammer is the part that strikes the striker which is under spring pressure, cocked back waiting for a trigger press. (I call that a hammer in a striker fired pistol). Also, i have shot the crap out of this EDC Hellcat for many months with different ammo and its flawless, so now its my EDC as a proven reliable pistol. I just dont want to put several thousand rounds through it each year so i have a practice Hellcat that if i wear it out its OK. I do have 8 mags that i use for both guns and i guess i should be rotating them a bit. thanks everyone for the good advice!!

I probably don't shoot my carry guns often enough...too many range toys. But my suggestion is fire the EDC on a semi regular basis, then clean and lube after the range session.

Realistically you're not gonna hurt your carry gun by carrying it as intended (full magazine, chamber loaded).

The one thing I will caution about is making sure to cycle out your carry ammo. If kept in a moderate temperature at a fair humidity it will stay good indefinitely. Heat and humidity can expedite powder degradation. So I make sure to cycle the carry ammo out regularly. Every 6 months give or take.

I'll also second the suggestion of buying more magazines. Another area that I'm a bit weak on. Can always use more.

I tend to lube my guns before the range session. Because if there's going to be any wear that's when it's going to happen

Fair point. I check them before taking them to the range to ensure they're suitably wet. If I'm not happy with what I see I'll address them then, usually it's not needed though.

Back