testtest

Hellcat extracting issue

Hello all,
I've had my Hellcat for about a year and a half now. I've put around 1500 rounds through it so far. For the last 3 weeks I've encountered 4 failure to extract. This being my EDC I'm very concerned. While doing a thorough cleaning about 6 months ago I found that my extractor spring was difficult to remove. Also the extractor pin would not come out at all. It moves about a quarter inch in the hole but hits on what looks to be a defect in the hole. I contacted Springfield warranty and no one would call me back after speaking to a person and being told they would look into it. Three attempts in a week and again no one would call back. Now with the failure to extract issues I'm told to send it in. I took the gun apart again for another thorough cleaning and noticed the extractor looks worn. Has anyone else seen an extractor look like this? I'm sending it in but have to wait for a replacement gun I ordered to arrive first, Canik METE MC9. I was going to get a Hellcat Pro but I'm really not happy with the customer service. I'm not trying to say Springfield is a bad company. I own 3 Springfield firearms but this issue is not acceptable as well as the lack of response from the warranty team.
20231021_135254.jpg

I had extractor issues with my OSP as well, put in an Apex and it's been good. From all I have read it seems getting the pin / spring out has been an issue for lots of folks. Some find it to be a bit of lube attracted dirt and other particles which get gummed up, a couple had some qty of Loctite get in there from the optics screw hole... Anyway for me the Apex did the trick. Also my Hellcat Pro has not (yet?) had the same issues.

I had extractor issues with my OSP as well, put in an Apex and it's been good. From all I have read it seems getting the pin / spring out has been an issue for lots of folks. Some find it to be a bit of lube attracted dirt and other particles which get gummed up, a couple had some qty of Loctite get in there from the optics screw hole... Anyway for me the Apex did the trick. Also my Hellcat Pro has not (yet?) had the same issues.
Thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one with this issue. I've done hours of research online and couldn't find anything on it. I've spent a lot of time cleaning where the spring and pin slide but it hasn't helped. I've tried using the wooden end of my cleaning tips to scrape away any possible debris but again can't get the pin out. I've even pushed the pin from the opposite side with a dowel and could not force it out. I have been looking into the Apex extractor but that won't resove the issue of not being able to remove the extractor pin.

Hi everyone. I received my Hellcat back today. I am a little concerned since the work order only says they replaced the red dot screws for shorter ones. While I am glad this will make it possible to remove the extractor pin it does not address the concern for the obviously worn extractor itself. They said it functions normally so tomorrow I will head put and put a few hundred rounds through it and see. I'll let you know.

Hi everyone. I received my Hellcat back today. I am a little concerned since the work order only says they replaced the red dot screws for shorter ones. While I am glad this will make it possible to remove the extractor pin it does not address the concern for the obviously worn extractor itself. They said it functions normally so tomorrow I will head put and put a few hundred rounds through it and see. I'll let you know.

your extractor isn’t worn, it’s normal. Here is a pic of mine. Sorry it’s not real clear. That is the normal contour of the extractor.

25C1084C-89CB-40E5-A746-764C22B4AF58.jpeg

The slanted side isn't what I was referring to. If you look at it you can see the color of the part is black. If the countoured area was worn it would be silver. I'm talking about the rounded edge of the extractor where you can see the color is worn off and it is no longer a straight edge. Looking at this you can see that it is worn and most likely won't grab the shell casing. That is what has been happening. The empty casing isn't being grabbed and thrown out. I have an Apex extractor but didn't want to use an aftermarket part since I don't want to void the warranty. Still haven't put it in but after shooting later today I will see.

The slanted side isn't what I was referring to. If you look at it you can see the color of the part is black. If the countoured area was worn it would be silver. I'm talking about the rounded edge of the extractor where you can see the color is worn off and it is no longer a straight edge. Looking at this you can see that it is worn and most likely won't grab the shell casing. That is what has been happening. The empty casing isn't being grabbed and thrown out. I have an Apex extractor but didn't want to use an aftermarket part since I don't want to void the warranty. Still haven't put it in but after shooting later today I will see.
Have you shot a lot of steel cased ammo?

So any time I have contacted SA’s customer service, they basically issue an RMA and have you send it in, no need for anyone to get back to you. They do it at the same time.

No you mentioned your issue, your extractor does not have the tension it needs. You said your extractor pin is difficult to remove, it should be free floating, you need the free tension of the pin and the spring pushing on the extractor. You said it was a defect in the hole. Probably unlikely, since the issue would have been present from day one. It sounds like something in in the channel and is putting pressure on you pin or spring, could be as simple as dirty. Either way something is holding that pin and it should not be.

Looking at your fingers in your picture, if thats how dirty your pistol made your fingers, that’s pretty dirty.

Last edited:
So any time I have contacted SA’s customer service, they basically issue an RMA and have you send it in, no need for anyone to get back to you. They do it at the same time.

No you mentioned your issue, your extractor does not have the tension it needs. You said your extractor pin is difficult to remove, it should be free floating, you need the free tension of the pin and the spring pushing on the extractor. You said it was a defect in the hole. Probably unlikely, since the issue would have been present from day one. It sounds like something in in the channel and is putting pressure on you pin or spring, could be as simple as dirty. Either way something is holding that pin and it should not be.

Looking at your fingers in your picture, if thats how dirty your pistol made your fingers, that’s pretty dirty.
You are correct. The hole was obstructed by the red dot mounting screw. They replaced it with a smaller one. My hands were dirty from cleaning 2 ARs, a shotgun and 3 handguns. We had a large group of friends out with multiple firearms and I clean after every use. Most was from one of my .22s. Filthy gun anytime it's used.

Have you shot a lot of steel cased ammo?
I do shoot steel, but not only, since the cost is usually much less. I was curious if that is causing issues as well. Everyone I've spoken to about using steel say it should be fine though.

I do shoot steel, but not only, since the cost is usually much less. I was curious if that is causing issues as well. Everyone I've spoken to about using steel say it should be fine though.
Steel can cause problems.

A) It's not usually that much cheaper. B) Everyone who says steel is fine is trying to justify themselves being cheapskates. It's like the guy who says his Epiphone Les Paul copy plays just as good as a real Les Paul or his Squier Telecaster is as good as a MIA Fender. Attempting to justify bad decisions.

Unless it's an AK or some other thing designed for steel, steel is not good. And in a 9mm Handgun it's especially pointless.

A) It's not usually that much cheaper. B) Everyone who says steel is fine is trying to justify themselves being cheapskates. It's like the guy who says his Epiphone Les Paul copy plays just as good as a real Les Paul or his Squier Telecaster is as good as a MIA Fender. Attempting to justify bad decisions.

Unless it's an AK or some other thing designed for steel, steel is not good. And in a 9mm Handgun it's especially pointless.
You're probably right. When ordering 9mm I usually find it for 2 or 3 cents cheaper per round in steel. When buying 1000 rounds at a time it adds up but if it's going to possibly damage my firearm then what's the point?

I've shot a ton of steel in 223 and 7.62x39, but never bought any in handgun rounds. just not that much savings. and even the rifle rounds now are not much cheaper than brass.

Sorry it took so long to get back. I had a hospital stay. I shot the Hellcat yesterday and had 2 instances where the spent round failed to extract from the barrel. This was through 300 rounds of new brass. I've now put the aftermarket extractor in and will see if this keeps happening.

Back